“Good food, poor service”
Review of Shahi Masala - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Shahi Masala
Cuisines: Indian, Asian
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Description: On the renowned 'Curry Mile' in Manchester, Shahi Masala offers sophisticated Indian dining in exciting, vibrant surroundings. The authentic Indian cuisine is created using traditional recipes and cooking techniques. Signature dishes on the Shahi Masala menu include the tasty mixed grill, king prawn tandoori masala or fish masala with tamarind yoghurt sauce. The menu also features delicious seafood and vegetarian options, along with tasty tandoori sizzler dishes. Sleek and contemporary, Shahi Masala Manchester has a contemporary dining room with a soft, muted colour scheme, artistic features, leafy plants and modern lighting. There is a great selection of beer, wine, soft drinks and spirits. In Rusholme, Manchester, Shahi Masala is a popular Indian restaurant offering contemporary Indian cuisine. The University of Manchester is within easy reach of Shahi Masala restaurant.
Manchester
“Good food, poor service”
Reviewed October 25, 2013

We visited there for dinner. I had passed the place a few times and it looked promising.

The food was lovely. My lamb sambar dish was well cooked and everyone else enjoyed their dishes.

The staff however were a whole other story. Quick off the draw to take our order but when my father in law asked what grape the red wine was, e.g. Merlot, Shiraz the waiter had no idea and kept saying yes it was a red wine so he gave up and just ordered a cobra.

The starters arrived and we took maybe a half hour over these and then within 5 minutes of clearing the table they wanted to serve the main dishes. We said no and asked them to leave it for 20 minutes but they brought the dishes in 10. Everyone but me had finished eating after about 30 minutes but even as I was eating the staff were clearing the table.

The decor is modern but the white lighting made the whole place feel cold and clinical.

Over all we felt rushed and uncomfortable and the staff don't know their Merlot from their Semillon and the interior is not we have found in other Indian restaurants which are warm an welcoming. I can safely say we won't be back.

• Visited October 2013

Preston, United Kingdom
“average food, poor service”
Reviewed October 5, 2013

Called here after the Rugby League Final at Old Trafford. We'd booked a table, although the place didn't fill up after the game (not a good sign). The menu has plenty of variety and the food arrived fairly quickly, my lamb dish was quite tasty but rather greasy and tepid, and the naan was cold. What particularly annoyed though was towards the end of the meal where some of the party had finished eating while others were still eating the waiter began clearing the plates, I asked him to stop and wait til we had all finished and he went away, but then another arrived doing the same thing, and again was asked to go away, then a third... and then a fourth! By which time I gave up, so this waiter cleared the plates and wiped the table while one of the group was still eating! A dreadful experience. Not to be repeated.

• Visited October 2013
“Fantastic food, great staff and the best vibe”
Reviewed June 12, 2012 via mobile

We were in Manchester for the weekend and being Brumies we were after a decent curry. After some 'research' we arrived here. The decore is tasteful but not as tasty as the food! Every mouthful was a joy. I had the paneer masala to start and it was the best I've ever tasted anywhere ever! I then had the chicken and spinach madras which was spicy tasty and just right. I'm gutted that we don't live in Manchester and I joked that I'd travel 2 hours up the motorway to come and enjoy the food regularly but actually I'm not sure I was joking! The staff were friendly, quick and very helpful. 5 star ;-)

Manchester, United Kingdom
“great place to be”
Reviewed May 12, 2012

Me and my family have been to this place a good few times. Real good food the staff are A1, what ever you require is there with in a few seconds. a great place for families. the food second to none. With the childrens menue the bill is not telephone numbers, the best place in manchester for a good meal.

• Visited April 2012
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Poor service”
Reviewed March 24, 2012

Looked really nice from outside and very clean.
we asked for a bottle of rose wine and a waiter got us one and put it on the table and just walked off. we are not snobs at all but it would of been nice for it to be opened and at least our 1st glass poured.
Food was ok but had better takaways.
Not overpriced but better service would improve my view.

• Visited March 2012