“More exciting than your usual veg fare, and not pretentious”
Review of 1847 Manchester - CLOSED

1847 Manchester
Cuisines: Healthy
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Entrance on Booth Street
Transit: Tram Stops: Mosley St or St Peters Square
Description: Manchester city centres original vegetarian restaurant is back! Launching September 2017, we're back in a new location, three times the size with full cocktail bar!
Reviewed March 14, 2014 via mobile

I've eaten at bistro 1847, both in the city centre and in chorlton, several times in the last year since arriving in Manchester, and each time have had a wonderful meal.
Service is friendly and not intrusive, the restaurant is small and quiet, nicely appointed.
Dishes are a good size, and always a lovely mix of flavours, the menu changes frequently, and desserts are delicious! (I asked for the recipe for their gin and tonic cake on my first visit, sadly they never gave it to me, but I can't really hold that against them!)
Jazz nights are also great, nice intimate performances.

Reviewed March 3, 2014

Great food - great to have a choice as a vegetarian!

Friendly staff and good service.

Love the jazz night in particular

Reviewed March 3, 2014

Although I'm not a vegetarian, my partner is. We always used to enjoy Greens restaurant in Didsbury, until we discovered Bistro 1847. We've been here four times now. Great menu choices and fair prices. I'd highly recommend the mushroom pate and the beer-battered halloumi and chips. They could do with a few more bottled beers to choose from.
The staff have always been absolutely wonderful.

Reviewed March 3, 2014

I had the roast vegetable dish (menu not on web site so cant give the exact name), my wife Sarah had the battered halumni and chips. The flavours of the sources were amazing. No idea what was in them but incredible. I thought they were so good I would hang up my sauce pans and never cook again as what I can make is so bland by comparison, Sarah ordered the battered halumi with one portion battered tofu as I am vegan so I could try it. It was good fresh tofu and the batter was nice but it was a bit bland. Probably if you are not vegan go for the haliumi The chips were amazing -too good to be called chips really!. For desert I had the real ale cake which was an interesting flavour and excellent texture. Sarah had the meringue and ice cream dessert and she says it was lovely. The presentation of the food was first rate, even an artistic sweep of fruit sauce on the cake plate. We were their on jazz night which was a nice extra touch. The sound balance was not good and the singer was struggling against the acoustics but doing a good job on the whole. The ambiance was good and the decor stylish; the service good too. The coffee came in a caffetiere and was pretty bad, it came with a small jug of soya cream which was a mistake - if you put soya milk in coffee you have to put in enough for it not to curdle (it is a temperature and Ph thing). There was not enough and being more concentrated than ordinary soya milk defeated the object. I got a second cup black, but it was too bad to drink black. They need to get an espresso machine, or some good ground coffee at least - the food was so incredible the coffee stood out as being bad.

Reviewed March 3, 2014

Starter - Mixed, Main - Excellent. And a cracking Gluten Free Beer.

Starter was good, but oddly "artisan" in flavour and construction - as was my friends. Can't even remember what I had...1st time I visited I had a lovely goats chesse and chilli dish. it would be nice if they reverted back to this type of dish.

Main (veggie fish and chips) was amazing, not stopped talking about their deep-fried halloumi since.

Would recommend highly, though maybe go for dessert instead of starter.