“Disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of 1847 Manchester

1847 Manchester
Ranked #124 of 2,246 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: British, Healthy
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Entrance on Booth Street
Transit: Tram Stops: Mosley St or St Peters Square
Description: Manchester city centres only Vegetarian restaurant, open 7 days a week for lunch and dinner. Our kitchen is headed by Roman Labat with menus inspired by British classics with a twist. Head Chef Sam Morgan
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Disappointed”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Went to 1847 for a Birthday Meal. Having been a vegetarian for 26 years, I was very excited, and pleased that my meat eating family were happy to give it a go.

It was a very hot evening. We were greeted, shown to a table and offered water whilst we were waiting, which was good service (provided by the waitress).

We were hungry (8.30 table) and waited a considerable time to order. What was strange is that the waiter (who oddly had his shirt half tucked in his jeans) saw we were waiting, decided instead to wiped down a table and then come over to take our order.

The house wine was unavailable, but we were given a good alternative.

We waited some considerable time for the food, and given we were hungry, was very disappointing. When it came it was the main course, rather than the starters. The waiter, who looked shocked, and didn't know what to do muttered "haven't you had your starters" and did an about turn with the food. He came back and said "the starters will be a couple of minutes"

Given the restaurant is a small place, with about 40 covers, I am surprised at this error. I am also surprised at the lack of apology.

The starter when it came we nice enough. I had the beetroot pancake, which was fine. My brother had the chef's taster which was great. The reason I didn't order it was there was no indication of what might be on it. I assume this is so they can offer vegan alternatives, but some indication would have been nice.

They did make fresh mains for us, which is as I would expect, but I know in some places doesn't always happen. I had the Halloumi "fish" and chips which was lovely.

The ordering of dessert was a bit of a farce. My brother had declared he was looking forward to the Mint Chocolate Marquis as soon as he saw the menu. We ordered this, and were told there wasn't any. In the alternative we opted for the chef taster (again, no indication of what this might be). When it came, it had a shot glass of the marquis in it!!! Whilst I appreciate it might have been the case that they might not have been enough of it to make a full desert, or indeed that it might have been prepared in small portions, the explanation I was given was neither of these. I was told "we only had a small amount so we decided to save it for the chef taster" [as in rather than serve you what you had asked for]. This is a strange attitude to have, and a long way from giving the customer what they want (or even what is advertised)

Having read previous reviews of the place, I was struck by the reply to a previous negative reviewer, by the person who I assume is Aaron Gamble. I think Aaron was there on Friday night, we were certainly greeted by a very professional member of staff. Unfortunately, I think this staff member was oblivious to the actions of his waiting staff, given he seemed to be himself entertaining friends.

I think that the waitress was great, attentive and organised. The waiter I expect was inexperienced, did not take responsibility for his tables, hence why he did not know we did not have our starters and did not offer any recompense for this. The Head of Service and Beverage perhaps should provide more support to his waiting staff. I don't hold either of those responsible for the decision about the dessert. It is a strange attitude to have towards customers, which I assume was driven by the kitchen.

On the whole, the food was nice, a lot of hot people working hard in the kitchen, but the service and attitude towards the customers was incredibly disappointing and ruined, what for me, was a great opportunity to enjoy vegetarian cuisine on my birthday.

1 Thank Amyloubell

Manchester, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“I've never eaten a better green bean!!”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

The food was perfect - a real taste bonanza! I loved how fresh and tasty the green beans were. Must of been pick that day and cooked perfectly. They worked brilliant with a smashing hollandaise. Can't stop thinking about what was in the beautiful scones that I had for the starter? Ever so fragrant and just slightly spicy. It was delicious. Staff were awesome too - my daft boyfriend left his laptop behind and they kept it safe for him! I will certainly be coming back again as soon as I can!

1 Thank Janneke C
“Awful”
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Special night out with my kids - terrible customer service, served mains without starters, took no responsibility, no explanation, no apology - won't be recommending to anyone

7 Thank John D
UK
“Super, smashing, great!”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Started the evening with an Elderflower Aperitif - lovely! Moved onto beetroot pancake and bean pate - quite inventive. Mains was a savoury mille feuille. Ordered a side of chips and beans with pesto to share. Awesome selection of vegan desserts and was very happy with my gin and tonic cake dessert. Good wine selection. The food is very good quality, however maybe slightly on the small side per portion (and we are not big eaters). We topped up our meal with cheese and biscuits to share as we were still pekish. Service was attentive and relaxed which made for an enjoyable evening. Restaurant decor was pleasant and temperature was fine. We will return but maybe buy a side of chips each or go for a light lunch!

• Visited June 2013
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“The most appalling customer service I have ever received.”
Reviewed June 21, 2013

My girlfriend and I wanted to get a quick bite to eat before a concert at the Apollo. I had passed the restaurant a few times and from the outside it appears to be a lovely bistro and the kind of place my girlfriend (a vegetarian) would love.

We entered the restaurant and were immediately struck by how hot and stuffy the restaurant felt. It was as hot and stuffy as a packed tube train. It was early evening on a Thursday and there were around half a dozen customers.

Bizarrely, their was no staff to be seen. We waited at the entrance thinking that someone would come to seat us but there was no sign of any front of house staff. We picked up some menus from the bar thinking that we could be choosing our food whilst we waiting for someone to appear.

Whilst waiting a member of kitchen staff, who it appears was unloading something from a transit out front, came back into the restaurant. We thought they'd see us standing there and acknowledge us. Nope, totally blanked us without so much as a 'hello'. They didn't bother going to find the absent front of house staff or ask us if we were being seen to.

We gave up on waiting as we had a concert to go to and we had little hope of a speedy service (even if it was only 1/3 full). We also didn't fancy baking to death in the stuffy hot restaurant. The staff didn't even notice two customers walking out of the door.

We eat out regularly but I have never been completely ignored on walking into a restaurant before. That standard of customer service is absolutely inexcusable. Definitely won't be returning to this place - it's not like there's a shortage of options in central Manchester!

• Visited June 2013
10 Thank RMreview
DamienDavenport, Owner at 1847 Manchester, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Thanks for your review. It would be really helpful if you could contact us directly so I can piece together some of your points. My email is Damien@bistro1847.co.uk

As you would have noticed, Bistro 1847 is made up of one dining room. From this space you can see the main front door, the kitchen pass and every table. As you've already noted, there was around half a dozen people already dining so our front of house team would have been around as these diners were being served.

I'm also unsure as to who you mean when you say a kitchen member was taking a delivery from a transit van as all our deliveries come in first thing, before we open at 12pm. You arrived pre theatre.

Our customer service means everything to me, alongside our food and beverage offering so to hear about this is upsetting. Please do make contact so I can clear these points up and hopefully you'll be able to see Bistro 1847 at its best.

Regards