“Fast paced, lively and tasty.” 4 of 5 bubbles

San Carlo Cicchetti
Ranked #169 of 2,184 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Liverpool, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fast paced, lively and tasty.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

Visited a number of times now, service / waiters can be little abrupt, atmosphere is lively, good range of dishes, really like the small size pizza's and Italian style sandwiches. Seafood salad is spot on, and smaller pasta dishes great for lunch. Open all day and always busy like it much better than it's big brother across the road. Love people watching in here.Will be back without doubt.

• Visited December 2012

Manchester, United Kingdom
“A perfect meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

Went to San Carlo Cicchetti for a pre-theatre meal. And the experience was excellent from start to finish.

The staff were attentive, had personality and the food could not be faulted. The ambience of the restaurant is spot on, too.

Overall a perfect experience - it really would be difficult to see how they could improve it. Even the bill was reasonable - what more can I add?

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Lovely food, Service not 5*”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

Went on a busy Saturday afternoon and waited 30 minutes for a table - not a problem as had a drink in the bar area.

Ordered 8 dishes between 4 which was ample. Ordered a bottle of wine which the waiter proceeded to spill over the table as pouring rather roughly - perhaps the Italian way! Food lovely - very good. In particular the lemon sole was beautiful.

Downside - Had to request a jug of water 3 times before it arriving - in a space of hour and a half. Had to wait a long time for dessert menus and then again for order to be taken. This was only then as we requested it to be taken. At this point the restaurant was less than half full so felt a bit ignored. When desserts arrived apple struddle was the favourite and very nice.

I would return as its a nice Italian environment but it would be for the atmosphere and food and unfortunately not the service this time.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
“Great service and amazing food. A real taste of Italy.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

I visit quite often with my friends. As a group of Ladies, we are very well looked after by all the staff. They will go out of their way to make sure you have an enjoyable experience. The food is superb, I have tried nearly all of it, but my friend always has the same thing even though she spends ages looking at the menu, as there is so much choice. I loved the crab pasta, but they Changed their menu and no longer do this dish. But everything else I was recomended from our lovely waiter, was delicious. The Portions are smaller than they were when it first opened, but ample. This gives you chance to try more. With the price being good you can choose plenty of dishes. I have lived in Italy, and have found it hard to find a decent authentic cuisine in Manchester, but I feel cicchettis is as close to Italy you will find. Miles better than the sister restaurant, San carlos, and less pretentious. definatly worth a visit when in town.

Manchester
“Disappointing”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013

I was very disappointing when my husband and I took my sprightly 91 year old mother in law for a coffee and cake to Cicchetti on Saturday afternoon. We were greeted by a young waiter who gestered to a table for us to seat ourselves and then we were swarmed upon by 3-4 waiters - none could speak English or even helped us undertand the menu. We ordered 3 Cappacinos and 2 desserts. When they arrived the coffees were only half full and i mentioned it to the waiter who didnt understand what i said. The desserts were beautifully presented and we enjoyed sharing them between us but as soon as i put my fork down it was as if a vulture descended upon me and whipped my plate away - my husband and mother in law were still savouring theirs.

Our cappacinos were tasteless and tasted of hot milk so i asked for them to be redone - at which the waiter scoffed at me - and reluctancy took our cups away to bring them back 5 minutes later with new ones that didnt taste any different.

Again when husband had hardly put the last mouthful of his dessert into his mouth again the plate was whipped away - but our new cappacinos had only just arrived

When the head waiter came over and asked "are you ok?" he didnt wait for our reply and darted off to the next table to ask them the same thing, again not waiting for their reply.

I had been looking forward to a leisurely coffee & cake and found the experienc rushed and disappointing. I pointed out to the head waiter that on our visit to The Dorchester in London the previous weekend where we had afternoon tea, our plates were not whipped away as we finished the last mouth and as far as i am concerned it is not etiquette to clear a table away until the rest of the table had finished their meal.

Your Head Waiter disagreed with me and said that is the way they do it ! Next time i want a coffee and cake in Manchester im afraid Cicchetti will be the last place i will go and perhaps an evening there would be the same - get them in and get them out FAST !

• 2 of 5 bubbles