“Very disappointed.”

Ranked #94 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Very disappointed.”
Reviewed November 19, 2013

I read the reviews of REM hotel and thought that they were possibly due to people who don't realise you get what you pay for, or those non-gay travellers who don't know how to behave in a gay bar (where the reception desk is).

Sadly, I was wrong. I expect a clean room and a bed. I got the bed. It looked great, but the mattress was flimsy, and every move made a horrible creaking noise. The biggest problem was the smell. It STANK. Of stale curry. Absolutely vile. And of course, the window opens all of 1 inch so I couldn't air the room.

There is a sink in the room- style over substance, it looks nice, but doesn't even have anywhere for soap to be held.

The shower/toilets are down the hall, not a problem. What is is the fact that they're dangerous. The tiles are cracked. The shower cubicles were dirty. The shower curtain was filthy. And the toilet seat was so badly maintained I've actually lodged a complaint with the Manchester city council Health and Safety team. It had exposed chipboard to sit on. Just disgusting. Oh, and there's nowhere to put your stuff while you shower, and the showers flood the floor.

I stayed on a night when the cabaret bar was closed, but the room next to me had a few very loud people in, and the walls were paper thin. If the floor is like that, and you need quiet to stay, don't.

I didn't stay for breakfast. I was working at 9- but breakfast was only served from 8:30. I left at 8:20 and there wasn't even a sign of it being prepared, so no idea what it's like. But to be honest, by the time I left, I was feeling so disgusted, I didn't want to eat at the place.

I don't normally leave bad reviews. But this place really needs to pull its socks up. It should be a great hotel. Its rooms are big, the location is great. But with so many options nearby, those things really don't count when leaving this place made feel like I need to disinfect everything I had in the room with me. For now, though, I have to agree with those who say AVOID.

Room Tip: Sorry, just don't.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
6 Thank counterintuitive

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Reviewed November 4, 2013 via mobile

I was utterly shocked and disgusted at the rude bar man at this place. Me and my friend were in manchester for a long weekend and had been having a great time, until we got to this bar. We walked in and it was so quiet about 4 guys around the bar. We sat down whilst deciding what to drink when suddenly the bar man asks 'in for a drink?' My friend replied yes were seeing what we want when the bar man went ok and kept staring at us in a really hostile way. My friend asked whats wrong and was told 'normally when you come into a bar you go to the bar' and my friend repeated like I said were deciding what to get! The man continued to look at is in a very hostile manner and looked at me and said rudely 'got id' which I knew he would have to ask but the way he went about it can't help feeling like he just didn't want us there. We walked out as I refuse to give my money over to rude idiots. would not advise going there

• Stayed November 2013
3 Thank Steph456789

Travelers are raving about these Manchester hotels

Grantham, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 23, 2013

I was travelling on the train and had arrived at Leeds when I received a text from my friend, "You are never booking a hotel again". Did not bode well, and with good reason!

We ordered a deluxe room (supposedly ensuite) which did not include its own toilet and had a shower in the corner of the room. The shower was filthy with black mould around the edges, and when I washed my hair (did not want to step inside it) the tray filled up with dirty water which did not disappear for the whole weekend! We ended up using the communal bathroom down the hall, which was at least cleaner - but of course not ideal.

The floor was uneven and the room was stifingly hot but at least the bed was comfortable (God only knows if it was clean!) My piece of advice, if you book this hotel, look to go home with someone for the night - far better plan! ;)

The location is amazing however, right on Canal Street - but that really is the only plus point of this dump! Next time, I will be reading reviews MUCH more carefully on TripAdvisor!

Room Tip: Don't, just don't.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Kieran A
Llandudno, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 14, 2013

My friend booked this hotel as a mistake, and it was the best mistake ever. The place is a bit daunting as you reach it, but its cute and quirky. I think it was very good for the price that we paid for the room. The nice gent behind the bar warned us there would be a function on, so it would be pretty loud later on... That's essentially what you have to expect staying above a bar/nightclub. The rooms were on a separate floor above everything, which felt secure as everything was opened by keys. The room itself was a double, with tea and coffee making facilities, a safe, bedside cabinets and a full length mirror. The bathroom was shared with the corridor (there were 2) and was very clean. Breakfast in the morning was cooked for you, so it was fresh, and was the best thing after a night out. There was also cereal, juice and the nice gent cooked toast on demand.
My only issue, if that, is that the carpet was a bit grubby on the stairs to the rooms, although I suppose that's the same with any bar/nightclub floor after a heavy night.
It's not the Hilton or any of the mainstream hotels as people seem to be expecting. It's a B&B above a nightclub, and that is what people should expect. The people are friendly, the rooms are nice and I would definitely stay again, and for the price we paid, it was an absolute steal. Thank you to all the lovely staff who made our weekend in Manchester better and even more memorable :)

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank ScLC1321
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Very helpful bar staff downstairs, and the guy who cooked our breakfasts was friendly and quick with the service. The hotel is centrally located and great for getting around Manchester. We didn't mind sharing the bathrooms (which were always clean), and we had been warned about the karaoke bar on the floor below, so it didn't faze us when it sprung to life on the Fri/Sat evenings.

However, the room hadn't been very well maintained. The cover to the fire alarm in the ceiling was dangling open, a knob on the door of the in-room shower was missing, and one of the four light bulbs in the ceiling was broken. The carpet on the stairs was disgusting and seriously needs replacing.

Would I stay here again. Yes, but only for the location and the good breakfasts. The rooms need to be better maintained and the carpet on the stairs needs replacing.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Milton Keynes
Reviewed August 10, 2013

I booked three nights here, but once checked in and pointed in the direction of my room by a less than friendly bar man I was pretty shocked and horrified when I got to the hall the rooms were off. Opening the door to my room I felt very down hearted. The décor was dingy and dated, it felt dirty and un cared for. The music and drag act on the floor below was so loud in my room that the floor shook. I sat on the bed and quickly realised I couldn't stay here. I checked into an IBIS instead which was clean, spacious, peaceful (but also right in the centre just 2 mins walk away) and a world away from this place. I've back packed all over the world and this is the most awful place I can honestly remember paying money to stay in. Just don't!

Room Tip: Get a room at the IBIS instead - its a world away in quality, a fraction more expensive but just rou...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Jamei C
Dudley - West Midlands - UK
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I stayed here recently with my husband and i have to say this was the worst hotel/B&B we have ever stayed in and i don't say that lightly. Rooms are tiny, dirty with a cheap uncomfortable bed. The staff are incredibally grumpy and i honestly warn anyone thnking of staying here - only do so as a very last resort!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple