“Good food, not so good service”
Review of Coriander

Coriander
Ranked #447 of 2,326 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: Bangladeshi
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Chorlton
Reviewed February 4, 2014 via mobile

We visited on a Saturday night at the end of January. We has booked a table at 7.30 and this seemed to be a wise decision.

While the restaurant was busy, they have plenty of staff but it's a pity they cannot handle a full house.

It took nearly 20 minutes to receive our first drinks order, and we had to remind them twice before they arrived. When they finally did arrive, we were told by our waiter that we should have ordered them as soon as we sat down to avoid delays. I pointed out that it was our first visit, we were unfamiliar with the food and drinks menu and we shouldn't be badgered into ordering drinks when it was most convenient for them. And whenever you order them, you don't expect to have to wait 20 minutes for them to arrive.

We started with the mix grilled platter and everything was fresh and tasty. The portion was quite large and depending on your appetite I would say that the starter for one person is plenty enough to share between two. We also had a side order of poppadoms and I have to say they dips were delicious!

Mains were delivered within about 1 minute of our starters being finished. Personally I prefer a little break in between courses. But the food was very good, not at all greasy and decent sized portions.

We did not have a dessert.

I would come again based on the quality of the food, but maybe on a week night when it is quieter. We did not like the waiting staff or the service, and we felt that we had to fit in with them, rather than them serve us.

I'm other thing is the toilets. They are far too small for a restaurant of this size. There is only two toilets in the ladies and no standing room outside the cubicles. There was a queue outside going back into the restaurant and I wouldn't have been happy if my table was near there.

There are newer reviews for Coriander

Reviewed February 1, 2014

I visited the new chorlton branch on 1/2/14.
Having been to this branch a good handful of times and receiving the WORST service known to man on 2 previous occasions I still returned with guests because the food is lovely but I will never make that mistake again ....

To stop me ranting on I'll get to the point ...

Service was so slow I thought about eating my napkin to ward of hunger! Complained we had waited 40 min already for starters...When starters arrived there was a shard of glass in the bhaji ! ( a sizeable piece that could of done damage )

When we complained the waiter quickly removed the object and scurried away to the kitchen the head chef came out and apologised and brought another dish out.
After this incident it was as if someone had put them on fast forward as I've never seen them move so fast.

The mains were fantastic and why I kept returning can NOT fault it at all but everything else over rides this fact.

We received our bill & I thought as common decency for complaining about crap service and glass in food a ' sorry ' discount would have been applied but nooooo

I had to argue my point to get our starters removed for the inconvenience I did pay for my mains and drinks as I wasn't after a free meal here just wanted them to acknowledge their mistakes !

I will maybe still eat at the old branch opposite the cemetery but never again at this one which is upsetting as been a customer of coriander for a while but they have lost sight of customer service/satisfaction by not having enough staff for the capacity of the restaurant and no organisational skills.

1  Thank Mooberry85
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Couldn't fault the food, however our waiter was rude and very abrasive at times. His abrupt manner spoilt what should have been a lovely 60th birthday celebration.

Reviewed January 16, 2014

I have eaten here several times as well as at its sister restaurant further down Barlow Moor Road towards Didsbury.

In my opinion the food is good and the ingredients high quality. The dishes have individual tastes and do not all come in the same indistinguishable red/brown sauce. I particuarly like the way they cook their spinach dishes - they do not overdo them.

The parathas for starters are usually a good option but my last visit found them a little doughy.

The service can sometimes be a bit slow but that doesn't bother me if the food is good. The spelling mistakes on the menu add to the charm.

I live locally and am a regular visiter. I haven't found a better curry house in Manchester (including in the generally disappointing Rusholme).

The owners clearly care and when they ask for comments (which they do) I get the impression they are genuinly listening.

In terms of price it can end up being a touch more expensive than you might expect if you are drinking (usual selection of Indian lagers on tap and bottled).

In my opinion this is the best curry house in the area and I am glad it is on my doorstep.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

Ordered a takeaway for collection. Coriander special lamb very nice with tender meat. Chicken tikka masala also very nice. Would definitely order again.