“First trip not my last.....”

Royal Exchange Theatre
Ranked #6 of 188 things to do in Manchester
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: We're an award-winning producing Theatre in the centre of Manchester. As well as classics from William Shakespeare, Tennessee Williams, Oscar Wilde, Noel Coward, and Anton Chekhov, we're also one of the country's leading theatres for new writing, with over 125 premieres in the theatre history! The unique design means that none of the 760 seats are more than nine metres from the circular stage, with seats placed all around the auditorium, giving views from all angles.The Great Hall surrounds the Theatre, and this houses The Round restaurant, Bar Exchange, the Craft Shop and exhibitions, the Education Lounge and workshops, the Information Point, the Mezzanine Gallery exhibitions, as well as Friday evenings' FREE entertainment SPECIAL FX.And we're open on a Sunday too! With brunch served in our Great Hall cafe and free entertainment during the day.
Reviewed March 8, 2014

Last night I was privileged to visit the studio to see an incredible performance of "Black Roses" the killing of Sophie Lancaster. The studio was the most perfect setting, only 90 seats. A simple setting yet such a powerful and breathtaking performance from Julie Hesmondhalgh and Rachel Austin.
I will be going back to see more of the theatre, and will also take my Son of 6yrs. Fantastic venue... and on a Friday night from 6pm til 7pm they always have something on to watch with compliments.

1  Thank nicolajgraham
There are newer reviews for Royal Exchange Theatre

Reviewed March 7, 2014

A most interesting conversion of the old corn exchange. The performances I have seen have been very good with an unusual stage configuration.

Reviewed March 5, 2014

I had a fifth row orchestra box seat for a wonderful production of Virginia Woolf's Orlando – for $32. I couldn't have enjoyed anything like it at that price in New York City. Love this theater.

1  Thank glencove1
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Great production and cast, Suranne Jones was superb, but so were the rest of the cast, in this inventive, funny and thought provoking production. Highly recommended.

1  Thank Fran008Birmingham
Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

I was expecting a grand theatre and was greeted to a sub standard theatre, the play itself was boring but I accept that's my fault for choosing it. However seats were too high compared to the floor, acting was mediocre and there was no stage. London is so much better it's as though they've spoilt me compared to the north!