“Spoilt by selfish "fans"”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Manchester Arena

Manchester Arena
Ranked #21 of 175 things to do in Manchester
More attraction details
Owner description: Manchester Arena, managed and operated by SMG Europe, is one of the busiest venues in the world and the largest indoor arena in Europe. Since opening in 1995, the Arena has hosted the biggest names in live entertainment including U2, The Rolling Stones, Madonna, Lady Gaga, Pavarotti and the record-breaking 2010/2011 residency by local comedian Peter Kay. In addition to live music, we've also staged some of the biggest events in the UK sporting calendar including several 2002 Commonwealth Games' events, the 2012 Olympic basketball warm-up match between team USA and GB, the 2008 FINA World Swimming Championships and international boxing bouts by Mike Tyson, David Haye, Joe Calzaghe and local champions Ricky Hatton and Amir Khan. We've also played a key part in Manchester's rich musical heritage with historic shows by local bands Take That, Oasis, Elbow, New Order, James, Happy Mondays, The Charlatans, Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds, M People, Doves, The Inspiral Carpets, The Verve, Simply Red and The Courteeners. Attracting over one million visitors each year, the 21,000 capacity Arena is a former winner of the industry's prestigious International Venue of the Year award.
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Spoilt by selfish "fans"”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013

My partner & I had been looking forward to seeing Billy Joel in concert for months. We had quite good seats way up in the balcony - we could quite clearly see "The Piano Man" and he was gradually getting round to his biggest hits.
Then two selfish men decided to stand up and gyrate about to every song.
They were clearly the worse for wear. People sat immediately behind them complained as they could no longer see anything. Neither could I & other people sat next to me. However some official person came along and ruled in favour of the two gyrating idiots which meant about 12 paying customers could no longer see anything. We were all upset but apparently our opinion didn't count.
If I went to see a film, play, opera, musical or ballet these two selfish men would have been told to sit down but apparently it's accepted at a pop concert.
Well Manchester Arena that's my first & last time that I visit you.

1 Thank Sue A

• Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Portugal
83 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 139 helpful votes
“Great if you are getting the train”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013

First visit for me to see Peter Gabriel ( who was fantastic, but I am biased anyway) - the venue is superb if you are coming in by train as it is basically in Victoria Station, you just walk up a few steps, you don't have to go outside or anything - I could have stayed for the encore with my last train to Liverpool being 23.15 pm, but I didn't chance it - I should have! I was surprised that they sold bottles of wine ( albeit plastic) and reasonably priced - I did originally have a ticket up in the Gods and I can see why people have complained about that ( don't think I'd have liked that either), I was in the front row on the side, so you had to look far right to see, so I suppose it could have been better if he had been in the middle or something - would go back because of the convenience but would have to choose the seating carefully....

1 Thank blueval
Manchester
“Lousy sound quality”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

The sound quality at this venue is shocking. And it would be so easy to improve by covering up the rafters and carpeting the stairs - they should also do this for a safety point of view. But, they are not interested. As long as artistes perform there and people go and see them what do they care. I have previously seen Yes and David Bowie. My latest visit was to see Peter Gabriel. All of them acts that I have seen previously at smaller venues where the sound has been fantastic.
At this venue the sound is just muffled. Manchester needs a large custom built music venue. This isn't one - it is a sports arena.

Manchester
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“arena spoilt the concert!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

Having waited to see Peter Gabriel, he did not let his fans down but this arena certainly did. The seating in the lower tier is cramped and you feel like you are sitting on a ledge.
It is far too big to enjoy and I am so glad that we were not sat up in the gods - what a nightmare for any one with fear of heights!

Tarleton, United Kingdom
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Peter Gabriel concert spoiled by chatting drunks”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

While I appreciate that it is all down to money, venue do need to seriously consider whether the bars should stay open once the main act has started.

As soon as Peter Gabriel came on stage, 4 people who had clearly been drinking for some time sat in front of us and one lady managed to chat her way through most of the concert. In addition to this there were a steady stream of other people going to purchase more drink or dispense of it in the toilets. I'm quite surprised that nobody fell down the steep stairs.

5 out of 5 for the concert - 2 out of 5 for the venue.

1 Thank AndrewJG18