“Got to go back and enjoy...”

Malmaison Manchester
Ranked #36 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
South UK
“Got to go back and enjoy...”
Reviewed July 3, 2007

Stayed here overnight last night on business. Got a great Summer madness deal (still pricey at £129 for a small double room - queen bed to those from across the water) but lovely. room not big, but fine just for me.

Curiously reminiscent of the Hotel Monaco in San Francisco - not the same appearance at all, but many of the same pluses.

Good points - delightful, helpful and friendly staff providing attentive but not gushing service; best bed I have slept in for years (anywhere), free Internet, lovely toiletries, comfy furnishings, well soundproofed; good range of TV channels; TV with sleep button (YES!!); free DVD/CD player and collection of things to borrow and watch/listen, nicely appointed bathroom, lots of big white fluffy towels; a few yards from Manchester Piccadilly, and concierge can get you taxi in minutes to elsewhere; free high speed Internet access; good AC; lots of hot water; well stocked mini bar and nibbles; delicious and well prepared and presented food - including an amazing Club Sandwich which would keep several people going for several days!!

Bad points: Minor irritations really, but important for a boutique/ premium priced hotel chain. Maybe trying just a bit TOO hard on the branding bit (lots of logos and silly slogans,right down to Tshirts on the serving staff and ridiculous wooden paddles for the breakfast fruit which are totally impractical), desk lamp still not fixed even when I left,; TV sound not piped into the bathroom (that is really irritating); matt black paint work really shows finger marks on the doors and looks tacky if not cleaned properly - same goes for marks on the slate floor in the bathroom; funky looking basin in the bathroom only drained properly if the plug was removed forcibly; no face flannels; scary trendy hairdos on the staff (I'll make sure I have a new hairdo before I go back, although I can do the all black garb, no problem)

Absolutely loved: the decor in the entrance (very decadent - and really not at all business like!)

One of the few hotels (like the Monaco in SFO and Lydmar in Stockholm) that I have wanted to go back to again for ages. But doubt I can afford it for personal use. I just wanted to drop all my work commitments and go and indulge myself in the Spa and have a wonderful dinner - but had to go and work instead.

• Liked — A really comfortable bed; good TV services, free Internet that worked first time and great toiletries
  • Disliked — Matt paintwork and no sound piped into the bathroom, plus dodgy drainage on the funky looking sink
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 2, 2007

I have a certain love affair with the Malmaison hotels. Wherever possible, if a place I'm going has a Mal, then I book it. I think my relationship with the Manchester Mal is currently on rocky grounds. Whilst the Mal fulfills its agreement to provide something to sleep on, I'm wondering if it's really worth paying the extra for.

The hotel has two sides - the older original building, and the newer extension. I was told that the older side had just been refurbished, so although I asked for one in the newer side, I accepted a refurb'd room to go see what it was like. My experience of these older rooms hasn't been as great before, they always seem a lot smaller than the other side. Well, I entered and it looked very nicely done out, but with the dark colours in such a small room, it just felt cramped and tiny. The bathroom door didn't open fully, hitting the towel rail as the bathroom was very tiny too.

Back to reception, and they found a room on the newer side. Not refurbished, but no complaints. Larger than before, nice sized bathroom as well. Noticed there was no bottle of wine in the room as usual, assumed they'd run out. Well, we all know what assume did, and so a few days after my visit I received a letter charging me for it. What makes an average hotel great is its staff. The duty manager is currently looking into it and said she'll refund my card , so no issues there, and well handled, as long as the refund does come through!

Not the best nights sleep, mainly due to lots of doors slamming and what sounded like a hen party in the halls. This makes me wonder if I may as well book the Travel Inn where I got a great nights sleep on their Quiet Floor.

If you order breakfast in your room it's left in a box outside with a phone call at the designated time to tell you it's there. No uncomfortable moment where you wonder how much you tip for a £11.95 bowl of cornflakes whilst trying to do your trousers up.

Overall, nothing special so just an average rating, but it is a handy hotel if you are visiting by train, being a very short walk from Manchester Piccadilly. Good if you have loads of bags. Probably the nicest shampoo though out of all the places I've stayed, Oversized bottles with a note welcoming you to take them home with you.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — doors slamming
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled solo
London, England
Reviewed July 1, 2007

Stayed at the Malmaison for the weekend, and it was just about perfect.

I stayed here about 5 years ago, and it was a bit shabby back then - an underlying feeling of cheapness. The lobby indicated the hotel was
refurbished this year, and I must say that my room was amazingly comfortable. There was free wireline internet access, everything was clean and the bed was very comfortable. My summary points below - I would highly recommend staying here

Positives:
- Unbeatable location - about a 3-5 minute walk to the main rail station
- Great bar / common areas
- Fantastic buffet and full english breakfast (at a decent price) in the main restaurant
- Great rooms
- Free internet (wireline) access

Negatives:
- A bit pricier than other hotels in the area, but well worth it
- No payperview movies
- Limited TV channel selection
- No wireless access
- No breakfast room service beyond a standard continental breakfast

• Stayed July 2007
north yorkshire
Reviewed June 19, 2007

Ive been meaning to write a review on this hotel for ages, but always busy.
We visit Manchester a lot for concerts which are being held in the city and i would never dream of staying anywhere else, thats how much i love this hotel, it has a modern feel throughout and is very stylish, i am never let down by the bedrooms or the service we recieve.
Its location is great very handy for the train station, shops and bars.
The average price we pay is approx £99.00 per night which i feel is a fair price.
When we visited in February this year we had an evening meal for the first time and the food was very good, but then i wouldent expect anything less.
Unfortunatly our next visit to Manchester is not until November however we will be visiting on 3 seperate dates in that month and you can guarentee where we will be booking to stay - I can't wait.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — There is nothing i dont like
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank winter1978
Wales
Reviewed June 16, 2007

Excellent service.
Bed was too small - their queen sized seems approx 5ft wide.
Air con was noisy and our windows were locked - we had to call reception and the staff have to come up to open (and close)
5th floor street noise was still quite bad (price of city centre I guess - the location is great)
Big bathroom and fabulous shower.
Only continental breakfast in bed (although the restaurant will send anything off the menu to the room - v.good to boot)
We couldn't sleep with the air con on (too noisy) and the room was too hot without (esp with locked windows + street noise).
Nice hotel but needs bigger beds and quiet air con.
We didn't sleep well so I'd tend to agree with previous review 3/5

• Liked — Restaurant food delivered to bedroom
  • Disliked — Noisy air con, bed too small
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
South West UK....
Reviewed June 5, 2007

Was looking forward to staying at the Manchester hotel having enjoyed my stay at the one in Leeds.

Great location, a mere 5 minute walk from Picadilly and very easy to find in the centre of the city. Good funky reception area with lively bar and brassiere.

Bedroom was nice, decent size, good use of space in the bathroom with some original touches. Asked for a quiet room away from the main street and got one overlooking a side alley, which was just what I wanted.

Dinner in the restaurant downstairs was good. Excellent service, great wine menu, lovely food.

Retired for a good night's kip, full of food, to my quiet room...except...the bed! My god, how hard was the bed?! I may be old fashioned but I do expect a little 'give' when you lie on a matteress. This was like lying on a concrete slab (and no, there were no other rooms available)! I guess this just wasn't to my taste, but be warned.

The breakfast the following morning (like the meal the night before) was superb, an excellent choice of cereal, fruit etc.. and a good cooked selection (which is prepared to order).

Check-out was quick and efficient. Had a meeting nearby so left my bags with the hotel. In a hurry to get my train on the way back and they returned my bags swifty when they saw me fretting in the lobby!

If it was for service, the food, the room and the location; this hotel would get better marks. However, this don't mean a thing if you can't sleep on an incomfortable mattress. 3 of 5....maybe a bit mean, but I'm tired man!

• Liked — Service, food, wine and location
  • Disliked — The bed!
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank TheWineMan
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 25, 2007

Stylish hotel - interesting funky furniture and a red and black theme going on. Room was very nice, bathroom had black slate floors and walls - great shower but had a drencher showerhead so a bit tricky if you don't want to shampoo your hair every time you take a shower.Nice toiletries, complimentary water and minibar items reasonably priced - probably what you'd pay inthe bar - had an OJ - was about £1.80 I think.
Red wine and two glasses on table with a price tag round the neck - again - reasonable - less than £10 I think.
Comfy bed tho duvet cover was ripped down a side seam.
Everything is in the wardrobe - safe, coffee,tea maker, iron + board - clothes ( obviously) plus I found the mirror on the inside of the wardrobe door the only placeI could style my hair with the hairdryer as very dark in the room. Consequently that small area between the bed and the wardrobe gets very congested with two people trying to get ready. Might have been better to put the coffee stuff elsewhere or give a bigger space. A better lit mirror -preferably with ability to see a rear view would have been appreciated. Of course the best lit mirror is in the bathroom with a SHAVER SOCKET of course. You can tell men design these rooms!BTW this was supposed to be a deluxe room.
Room was on the front - got woken up with alarms going off outside during the night, maid did not clean up our tea things - found dirty mugs when we came back to room.( maybe she forgot they were in the wardrobe) Mentioned it to reception before we went into dinner - said they'd attend to it.Went back to room after dinner - still dirty mugs and coffee sachets not replenished.Phoned reception and they came up with 2 clean mugs and some coffee and milk.
BTW - girls on reception are about 12 ! Can't help thinking older staff would be better.
Dinner was very nice - but coffee was AWFUL and they charged us £8.50 for 2 cups ! And a service charge of about £5 for bread, olive oil and paste.Service not too good - no offer of drinks when first seated and hard to get their attention.Got my glass of wine after food arrived.
Also surprised they could not get us a room when we arrived - I know check-in is 3pm and we arrived about 1.30 I think - but it was a Saturday and no match on. I have never been told to come back at 3pm at any other Manchester hotel before.
Breakfast OK - £ 12 for cereals , pastries,OJ, coffee, toast.( there was a rumour you could get cheese and meats also but never saw them) If you want a hot breakfast item it is only £2 more.
But it seems strange that you pay that £2 supplement whether you want a bowl of porridge or a full fry-up ! I had mushroms in hollandaise sauce on muffin which was lovely.Again coffee not good.Overall nice hotel - not sure if it's worth the price tho as service variable.Lowry much better.

• Liked — stylish furnishings, bathroom and toiletries
  • Disliked — service
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple