Stayed here overnight last night on business. Got a great Summer madness deal (still pricey at £129 for a small double room - queen bed to those from across the water) but lovely. room not big, but fine just for me.
Curiously reminiscent of the Hotel Monaco in San Francisco - not the same appearance at all, but many of the same pluses.
Good points - delightful, helpful and friendly staff providing attentive but not gushing service; best bed I have slept in for years (anywhere), free Internet, lovely toiletries, comfy furnishings, well soundproofed; good range of TV channels; TV with sleep button (YES!!); free DVD/CD player and collection of things to borrow and watch/listen, nicely appointed bathroom, lots of big white fluffy towels; a few yards from Manchester Piccadilly, and concierge can get you taxi in minutes to elsewhere; free high speed Internet access; good AC; lots of hot water; well stocked mini bar and nibbles; delicious and well prepared and presented food - including an amazing Club Sandwich which would keep several people going for several days!!
Bad points: Minor irritations really, but important for a boutique/ premium priced hotel chain. Maybe trying just a bit TOO hard on the branding bit (lots of logos and silly slogans,right down to Tshirts on the serving staff and ridiculous wooden paddles for the breakfast fruit which are totally impractical), desk lamp still not fixed even when I left,; TV sound not piped into the bathroom (that is really irritating); matt black paint work really shows finger marks on the doors and looks tacky if not cleaned properly - same goes for marks on the slate floor in the bathroom; funky looking basin in the bathroom only drained properly if the plug was removed forcibly; no face flannels; scary trendy hairdos on the staff (I'll make sure I have a new hairdo before I go back, although I can do the all black garb, no problem)
Absolutely loved: the decor in the entrance (very decadent - and really not at all business like!)
One of the few hotels (like the Monaco in SFO and Lydmar in Stockholm) that I have wanted to go back to again for ages. But doubt I can afford it for personal use. I just wanted to drop all my work commitments and go and indulge myself in the Spa and have a wonderful dinner - but had to go and work instead.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Mal Manchester: In the home of the beautiful game you're about to turn Moulin Rouge. A short trundle for wheel-based luggage from Piccadilly Station and you're at the Mal - somewhere in the mists between Paris and the 24-hour party city. You cross the chessboard reception and suddenly you're a king for the knight. It's your move. Smoak Bar and Grill at Mal Manchester: A grill room and bar quite unlike anything Manchester has ever before seen. Set in the award-winning Malmaison Hotel minutes from Piccadilly station, Smoak is total indulgence for the senses. The amazing aroma of nation's finest oak-smoked steaks and fresh fish, served to a pewter counter or cosy booth. Imagine great imported beers, cocktails and bubbly served from an unusual sunken bar, with highly skilled mixologists serving you while you stay seated. Picture a stylish relaxed but chic interior a mix of booths, banquettes and counter stools. Come lunchtime and it's locally sourced bread, generously filled sandwiches and salads or full blown grill dining for the more adventurous lunchtime escapee. Come sundown the mood changes and we turn the aromas up to eleven. The cocktails flow, the steaks sizzle, the music turns up and the night begins. Ember Lounge at Mal Manchester: We could tell you about the Ember Lounge - an immaculate and opulent cocktail bar furtively hidden to the rear of the Smoak Bar & Grill. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Evoline ltd and HRS so you can book your Malmaison Manchester reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Malmaison Manchester Hotel Manchester
- Malmaison Hotel Manchester
- Manchester Malmaison Hotel