I have a certain love affair with the Malmaison hotels. Wherever possible, if a place I'm going has a Mal, then I book it. I think my relationship with the Manchester Mal is currently on rocky grounds. Whilst the Mal fulfills its agreement to provide something to sleep on, I'm wondering if it's really worth paying the extra for.
The hotel has two sides - the older original building, and the newer extension. I was told that the older side had just been refurbished, so although I asked for one in the newer side, I accepted a refurb'd room to go see what it was like. My experience of these older rooms hasn't been as great before, they always seem a lot smaller than the other side. Well, I entered and it looked very nicely done out, but with the dark colours in such a small room, it just felt cramped and tiny. The bathroom door didn't open fully, hitting the towel rail as the bathroom was very tiny too.
Back to reception, and they found a room on the newer side. Not refurbished, but no complaints. Larger than before, nice sized bathroom as well. Noticed there was no bottle of wine in the room as usual, assumed they'd run out. Well, we all know what assume did, and so a few days after my visit I received a letter charging me for it. What makes an average hotel great is its staff. The duty manager is currently looking into it and said she'll refund my card , so no issues there, and well handled, as long as the refund does come through!
Not the best nights sleep, mainly due to lots of doors slamming and what sounded like a hen party in the halls. This makes me wonder if I may as well book the Travel Inn where I got a great nights sleep on their Quiet Floor.
If you order breakfast in your room it's left in a box outside with a phone call at the designated time to tell you it's there. No uncomfortable moment where you wonder how much you tip for a £11.95 bowl of cornflakes whilst trying to do your trousers up.
Overall, nothing special so just an average rating, but it is a handy hotel if you are visiting by train, being a very short walk from Manchester Piccadilly. Good if you have loads of bags. Probably the nicest shampoo though out of all the places I've stayed, Oversized bottles with a note welcoming you to take them home with you.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Mal Manchester: In the home of the beautiful game you're about to turn Moulin Rouge. A short trundle for wheel-based luggage from Piccadilly Station and you're at the Mal - somewhere in the mists between Paris and the 24-hour party city. You cross the chessboard reception and suddenly you're a king for the knight. It's your move. Smoak Bar and Grill at Mal Manchester: A grill room and bar quite unlike anything Manchester has ever before seen. Set in the award-winning Malmaison Hotel minutes from Piccadilly station, Smoak is total indulgence for the senses. The amazing aroma of nation's finest oak-smoked steaks and fresh fish, served to a pewter counter or cosy booth. Imagine great imported beers, cocktails and bubbly served from an unusual sunken bar, with highly skilled mixologists serving you while you stay seated. Picture a stylish relaxed but chic interior a mix of booths, banquettes and counter stools. Come lunchtime and it's locally sourced bread, generously filled sandwiches and salads or full blown grill dining for the more adventurous lunchtime escapee. Come sundown the mood changes and we turn the aromas up to eleven. The cocktails flow, the steaks sizzle, the music turns up and the night begins. Ember Lounge at Mal Manchester: We could tell you about the Ember Lounge - an immaculate and opulent cocktail bar furtively hidden to the rear of the Smoak Bar & Grill. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Booking.com, Agoda, Priceline, Travelocity, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and HRS so you can book your Malmaison Manchester reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Malmaison Manchester Hotel Manchester
- Malmaison Hotel Manchester
- Manchester Malmaison Hotel