If you don't mind paying £99 for a hotel room (I am an American, and so equate that to nearly $200), then this hotel is a good, safe option. The location is perfect in between the train station and Oldham St., and within easy walking distance of Chinatown. The staff is friendly and the rooms are impeccably appointed: quirky furnishings, bright colours, clean, modern bathroom with full-sized designer toiletries to take home.
Our room was 2nd floor, faced a soon-to-be-torn-down building next door. The window didn't shut tightly and was a bit drafty but we didn't bother to complain. I'm sure the staff would have been accomodating as they seemed very friendly! One annoyance was that my towel had a sticker on it saying "Mal" --obviously put there by the linen delivery service. A bit careless.
The hotel appears a bit greedy: upon check-in you are asked if you'd like a dinner reservation at their restaurant. In the room is a bottle of wine (£12 or so) and a CD (£10) that you will be charged for if you open mistakenly.
I have stayed in similar 'boutique' hotels for less money though I guess in the UK £99 is a good rate for this type of property.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Mal Manchester: In the home of the beautiful game you're about to turn Moulin Rouge. A short trundle for wheel-based luggage from Piccadilly Station and you're at the Mal - somewhere in the mists between Paris and the 24-hour party city. You cross the chessboard reception and suddenly you're a king for the knight. It's your move. Smoak Bar and Grill at Mal Manchester: A grill room and bar quite unlike anything Manchester has ever before seen. Set in the award-winning Malmaison Hotel minutes from Piccadilly station, Smoak is total indulgence for the senses. The amazing aroma of nation's finest oak-smoked steaks and fresh fish, served to a pewter counter or cosy booth. Imagine great imported beers, cocktails and bubbly served from an unusual sunken bar, with highly skilled mixologists serving you while you stay seated. Picture a stylish relaxed but chic interior a mix of booths, banquettes and counter stools. Come lunchtime and it's locally sourced bread, generously filled sandwiches and salads or full blown grill dining for the more adventurous lunchtime escapee. Come sundown the mood changes and we turn the aromas up to eleven. The cocktails flow, the steaks sizzle, the music turns up and the night begins. Ember Lounge at Mal Manchester: We could tell you about the Ember Lounge - an immaculate and opulent cocktail bar furtively hidden to the rear of the Smoak Bar & Grill. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, Agoda, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Priceline, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Malmaison Manchester reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Malmaison Manchester Hotel Manchester
- Malmaison Hotel Manchester
- Manchester Malmaison Hotel