“Manchester's hidden jewel”

Ranked #35 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
stockport
“Manchester's hidden jewel”
Reviewed December 23, 2006

Don't quite know where to start with this hotel as everything about it was perfect with a capital "P".
I think firstly "Jamie" the duty manager should be mentioned as he changed our anniversary from what started out as a disaster into a very very memorable special occasion. We had the "Moulin Rouge suite" at Malmaison only for one night but memories to last for ever!!!!!!!! He'd arranged champagne on ice(and it was decent champagne too!)strawberries dipped in chocolate,fruit,and mineral waters which were all complimentary all arranged in our room. We had a spectacular 4ft deep bath with lots of freebie toiletries in our room and dressing gown and slippers were also provided. The restaurant food was very fancy but very delicious and we enjoyed a lovely evening meal and a tasty breakfast the followingmorning.As we checked out we were also given a bag of "Malmaison" toiletries as a christmas present.
So we would like to thank everyone at the hotel for such a wonderful and special stay, but a special thankyou to "Jamie" for everything and for giving us the opportunity to sample the "Malmaison experience. We will definitely stay here again and will recommend you to everyone we know.

Merry christmas and a Happy New Year

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — stay in the moulin rouge suite if you don't have a budget
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
3 Thank karenStockport

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (344)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Manchester
Reviewed December 10, 2006

Just got back from a stay here on the Saturday night and I was really impressed. I really wanted to stay in the Lowry as I've been there before, but now think any future visits would be better spent here as it's so close to the main train station.

I was a bit worried about the attitude of the staff, based on other reviews here, but found them to be great; really professional and courteous. I arrived before the 3pm check in and they took my bag so I was free to laze about Manchester for a few hours, which I thought was cool.

The room itself was nice. Smaller than the one I stayed in in the Lowry, but very nicely decorated and I really liked the bathroom - big fluffy towels (with spares in the cupboard) and nice toiletries. I didn't have any problems with noisy heating systems etc, and the bed was SO comfy!

All in all I really enjoyed this hotel, from the staff to the rooms to the location. Only negative side was bar prices - £3.35 for a pint of Kronenburg....that said, there are loads of other cheap(er) bars close by so it's not a big problem.

• Liked — Staff very friendly, room very nice and comfortable, great location
  • Disliked — Bar prices - very expensive!
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled solo
3 Thank irish_bird
Darlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 8, 2006

Stayed here on business in December. Hotel is really stylish inside and would definately not appeal to my Grandma. Rooms are large with nice big bathroom and some really nice toiletries.. A small bottle of wine welcomes you but notice the £12.99 price tag before getting the bottle opener out.

The ironing boards are pathetically small and there is nowhere to put the irom when you are adjusting your shirt.

There is a true test of quality in these posh sort of hotels - are they still in touch with reality enough to make a good bacon sandwich? The answer is in the Malmaison is a firm yes - even at 3am in the morning!

Has a big night out in manchester so for breakfast wanted a good quick plate of egg and sausage but there is no buffet and you have to wait for it to be cooked. Could not wait so I am unable to comment on the breakfast.

• Liked — Decor
  • Disliked — Prices in the Bar
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
2 Thank EmilioLargo
London
Reviewed December 7, 2006

I stayed for two nights on business and really enjoyed it. The staff were professional and courteous - unlike previous reviews, I found most were native English speakers...

The decor in the foyer gives it a nightclub kind of feel which may not be to everybody's taste - but I liked it.

The room I stayed was quite small, but was clean, nicely decorated and felt quite cosy. The bathroom had nice, generous sized toiletries, a good shower and big towels (definitely very rare these days!)

The hotel has a well equiped gym in the basement with some spa/jacuzzi facilties as well.

A few small quibbles:
- heating system was a bit noisy
- room service was slow (40-45 mins)
- the "homemade chips" on the menu closely resemble McDonalds fries !

Overall though, a great hotel, that from a business traveller perspective gets the important details right. I would definitely go back.

• Liked — Location, facilities, general vibe
  • Disliked — Not cheap
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
UK
Reviewed November 16, 2006

We recently stayed at this hotel for one night, and paid £140. The accommodation is fine, but not worth the £140 price tag.

I called reception to ask for some bathrobes. After 30 minutes they have not arrived so I called back and the same receptionist then told me that you didn't get bathrobes in the standards rooms! I did eventually get two robes, but why I was not told this when i initially made the request I dont know.

The bar is also very very expensive. $15 for two glasses of white wine.

You can definetly get better value for money in Manchester.

Stayed October 2006
3 Thank jack06
Lancashire
Reviewed October 31, 2006

Having just written a review on The Lowry I feel The Malmaison deserves a much better one.

Piccadilly station is a short walk away and there is a car park nearby.

We couldn't fault the hotel at all.The staff were pleasant and efficient.
The room was lovely and there was a lounge area. great value for money.

Lots of lovely toileties and I'm still using the 250ml body lotion.

I would heartily recommend you stay here when on a romantic getawy shopping trip or business trip..

Simply fabulous.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — I recommend you consider staying here.
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
United Kingdom
Reviewed October 22, 2006

The only good thing about this hotel is that it is clean. The decor is dark and depressing and the staff surly, pretentious and completely uninterested in customer service. We chose this hotel because we are fans of the Hotel du Vin chain, and thought that being in the same family of companies, Malmaison may have some of the HduV charm. We were very wrong. It is very, very rare for us not to reward service with a generous tip, but we were that disappointed with the service that our money stayed firmly in our wallets. Over-priced, over-rated pretension.

• Liked — Leaving.
  • Disliked — The staff.
  • Tips/Secrets — Book elsewhere.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple