Stayed at Malmaison Manchester for New Years Eve. This is our second visit to Manchester Mal, we took a standard room this time which was more than adequate, but to be honest paying the extra £20.00 for a superior room is worth it as there is alot more space.
I had ordered belgian chocolate dipped strawberries and rose petals for the bed which is £10.00 and well worth it for the strawberries they are gorgeous. I ordered sparkling white wine as the price tag of £33.00 is more than enough for an arrival drink I feel plus we had taken our own champagne. On arrival our bottle was not in our room so I rang down to reception and explained I had ordered sparkling wine, the receptionist read out my requests from the notes they had on the system and said it would be with me shortly.
10 mins later our ice bucket, bottle and glasses arrived and we drank a toast to a good night. We had a lovely evening, ate in China Town as the Mal restaurant was fully booked, had a walk, hit a couple of bars and returned back to our room to bring in the New Year.
The problem started when I happened to glance at the room service menu next morning. I had a look to make sure my bottle of "sparkling wine" was still £33.00, to my disappointment I realised that the had got the order wrong and had brought me a bottle of champagne for £45.00. A little sneaky I thought but we had drank it so I thought "well I'll speak to them about it at reception".
On check out I was handed a bill that stated the champagne was infact £49.50! I explained to the receptionist they had got the order wrong and that we had only noticed that morning, she just looked at me blankly. I then questioned why it said £49.50 when the in room menu stated £45.00? Again blank expression and a reply that it was £49.50. I was then questioned if I had sent the champagne back? Well obviously not since I hadn't noticed it was champagne not sparkling wine. So I payed the bill and left as due to the number of guests in reception I didn't want to make a fuss.
We are staying at Mal Edinburgh for Valentines Day and I'm a little dubious about ordering any drink prior to arrival now.
All in all I love the Mal concept, it's very me, I love the dark gothicness about it and it's alot more interesting than souless Hilton rooms, I'm just very dissappointed that a mistake by their staff has cost me personally and left a bad taste with me on the first day of a brand New Year.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Mal Manchester: In the home of the beautiful game you're about to turn Moulin Rouge. A short trundle for wheel-based luggage from Piccadilly Station and you're at the Mal - somewhere in the mists between Paris and the 24-hour party city. You cross the chessboard reception and suddenly you're a king for the knight. It's your move. Smoak Bar and Grill at Mal Manchester: A grill room and bar quite unlike anything Manchester has ever before seen. Set in the award-winning Malmaison Hotel minutes from Piccadilly station, Smoak is total indulgence for the senses. The amazing aroma of nation's finest oak-smoked steaks and fresh fish, served to a pewter counter or cosy booth. Imagine great imported beers, cocktails and bubbly served from an unusual sunken bar, with highly skilled mixologists serving you while you stay seated. Picture a stylish relaxed but chic interior a mix of booths, banquettes and counter stools. Come lunchtime and it's locally sourced bread, generously filled sandwiches and salads or full blown grill dining for the more adventurous lunchtime escapee. Come sundown the mood changes and we turn the aromas up to eleven. The cocktails flow, the steaks sizzle, the music turns up and the night begins. Ember Lounge at Mal Manchester: We could tell you about the Ember Lounge - an immaculate and opulent cocktail bar furtively hidden to the rear of the Smoak Bar & Grill. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Priceline and HRS so you can book your Malmaison Manchester reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Malmaison Manchester Hotel Manchester
- Malmaison Hotel Manchester
- Manchester Malmaison Hotel