“Unfortunate mix up.....”

Ranked #35 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Leeds
“Unfortunate mix up.....”
Reviewed January 1, 2010

Stayed at Malmaison Manchester for New Years Eve. This is our second visit to Manchester Mal, we took a standard room this time which was more than adequate, but to be honest paying the extra £20.00 for a superior room is worth it as there is alot more space.

I had ordered belgian chocolate dipped strawberries and rose petals for the bed which is £10.00 and well worth it for the strawberries they are gorgeous. I ordered sparkling white wine as the price tag of £33.00 is more than enough for an arrival drink I feel plus we had taken our own champagne. On arrival our bottle was not in our room so I rang down to reception and explained I had ordered sparkling wine, the receptionist read out my requests from the notes they had on the system and said it would be with me shortly.

10 mins later our ice bucket, bottle and glasses arrived and we drank a toast to a good night. We had a lovely evening, ate in China Town as the Mal restaurant was fully booked, had a walk, hit a couple of bars and returned back to our room to bring in the New Year.

The problem started when I happened to glance at the room service menu next morning. I had a look to make sure my bottle of "sparkling wine" was still £33.00, to my disappointment I realised that the had got the order wrong and had brought me a bottle of champagne for £45.00. A little sneaky I thought but we had drank it so I thought "well I'll speak to them about it at reception".

On check out I was handed a bill that stated the champagne was infact £49.50! I explained to the receptionist they had got the order wrong and that we had only noticed that morning, she just looked at me blankly. I then questioned why it said £49.50 when the in room menu stated £45.00? Again blank expression and a reply that it was £49.50. I was then questioned if I had sent the champagne back? Well obviously not since I hadn't noticed it was champagne not sparkling wine. So I payed the bill and left as due to the number of guests in reception I didn't want to make a fuss.

We are staying at Mal Edinburgh for Valentines Day and I'm a little dubious about ordering any drink prior to arrival now.

All in all I love the Mal concept, it's very me, I love the dark gothicness about it and it's alot more interesting than souless Hilton rooms, I'm just very dissappointed that a mistake by their staff has cost me personally and left a bad taste with me on the first day of a brand New Year.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
england
Reviewed December 31, 2009

Stayed at the Malmaison, directly opposite picadilly train station, a superbly chilled atmosphere and different decor. Spotlessly clean

Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Newcastle
Reviewed December 15, 2009

Just returned from a lovely weekend at Malmaison, Manchester. Check in staff very efficient and friendly. Lovely Christmas decorations in foyer. Beautiful room, nice breakfast, again very attentive staff and excellent service. The hotel was in a very good location for shops and galleries. Would recommend to anyone

• Stayed December 2009
1 Thank kenny57
UK
Reviewed December 1, 2009

Stylish rooms, great location just a short walk from Picadilly station and Manchester city centre. Staff were pleasant enough. Ate at the restaurant which was nice and had drinks in the bar, all good. A little bit déclassé - could imagine footballers and wives here...

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
UK
Reviewed December 1, 2009

This hotel is trying hard to be trendy but unfortunately everything has been done on the cheap and the excessive use of cheap black paint and furniture looked like it was chosen by a teenager let loose in IKEA. The room was dark and the bathroom was extremely poorly lit - you have to squeeze between the sink and the wc to try to see in the mirror to do contact lenses etc. The bathplug didn't fit - water draining from the bath almost as fast as the taps poured it in! The price does not include breakfast which at £11.75 is excessive for a poor buffet style breakfast and I have never encountered coffee like that before - so thick that it resembled hot chocolate - I'm not even sure what had been done to make it that way. In an good and central location but looking over a derelict building - certainly not planning to stay here again.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
london
Reviewed December 1, 2009

Like many of those hotels that were hip for a few minutes, this Malmaison seems hopelessly out of date and has rested so long on it's laurels that it's unconscious. It's good value but needs a big facelift, updating the useless wi-fi and some interest in security which is so bad that we've stayed twice and the rooms have been broken into both times. So dark that unless it's after midnight you don't want to be there. When the sun's out, it's like going into some dated club and the rooms are predictably tiny. Bored staff and no swipe cards in the lifts mean that anyone can wander in and they seem to frequently do that. The first time we stayed there was a suspicious break in with equipment, car park card and car keys being stolen. The thief then went on to drive the stolen car to burgle the owners house. The 2nd time, the door was knocked off one of our rooms in the early evening and more equipment was stolen, moments after we left the hotel for an hour. All very suspicious and dealt with with bored disinterest by staff. Stay at The Lowry and save the insurance claim.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank 900cc
Solihull, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 24, 2009

Ok, the room was brilliant, clean and huge. The view was rubbish, facing a derelict building next door. But to be honest any room of this hotel on the lower floors at least will be rubbish. The location supurb, a short walk to the amazing shops of this vibrant city. The staff were nice. The hotel bar was appalling, had a drink here on a friday night after our night out, atmosphere was rubbish. It was cold and unwelcoming. We had so much more fun in the empty bar of the Oxford Mal and so much more atmosphere when there was just us and a barman. And last but not least, the breakfast! Cold toast which i loathe, the table next to us had their toast put on our table and then my eggs benedict was cold. Couldnt be bothered to complain as it was kinda what i was expecting from the vibe i got when i walked in. Word of warning, do not pay for breakfast. Get it thrown into your room rate! Overall, this is not a bad hotel and maybe i am being picky but why should one expect substandard service from such a respectable hotel group!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple