“Dirty room and in need of refurb” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Malmaison Manchester

Malmaison Manchester
Ranked #33 of 115 Hotels in Manchester
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Dirty room and in need of refurb”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2014

I would like to point out that we only stayed at this hotel as we thought it would be worth spending a little more and being near the train station upon checking in the reception staff where polite this is the only reason we gave 5 for service. once we got to the room this is where I would like to point out that the room we stayed in looked at first glance to be fantastic once we had settled in and had time to make a coffee we noticed that the room was looking tired and in need of a paint job the bathroom walls had marks all over and the seal on the bath and the shower screen was dirty. Whilst having a shower the little plastic instruction card on how to turn up the temp says something like "press the red button"...after 1-2 mins I figured out there was actually no red button but a tap in the middle.
The morning came and while packing stuff I noticed the state of the bed base it had been slashed open and the only thing covering the large hole was the valance considering the hotel looks good I would ask that the hotel management look at each room and start to look in to decorating the rooms as I for one will not return to the Malmaison Manchester knowing that the rooms are not up to the standard you would expect for the money you pay.

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank Slb357919
Jacqui G, General Manager at Malmaison Manchester, responded to this review, May 17, 2014
Thank you for your feedback, as this is most useful to me. Please accept my sincere apologies that we did not manage to deliver on this occasion. I have shared your comments with my team, and we shall, of course, address.

In order that we may discuss this further, please contact me at the hotel. I would appreciate the opportunity to resolve the matter.

Kind Regards
Jacqui Griffiths

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
  • Indonesian first
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2014

I have stayed here several times in the last month and for my loyalty I got an executive room. This is actually a step down rather than a step up as the executive rooms have more toys in and therefore use up the very few power sockets in the room. It does not help that the iPod Dock is for iPhone 4s and not 5s so I unplugged that and the room phone.

The rest of the experience was good.

• Stayed May 2014
Dear Richard,

Thank you for your feedback. When you come next time we will be sure to allocate you a non-executive room. I am pleased to note that otherwise you enjoyed your visit, and we look forward to welcoming you back.

regards
Jacqui Griffiths
Brighouse, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2014 via mobile

VisitiNg Manchester and decided to call in to the Malmaison restaurant for lunch. It's the third time we have been here and although it is hotel prices the service and the quality of food are exceptional. So glad we called and we will be back. Their steaks look awesome.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Grafton Regis
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2014

Booked as a surprise for my partner and I, we arrived and I was told my discounted upgrade had been approved, we went to our room, great size, with a separate lounge with large tv and Bose surround sound, no where to charge an iPhone ( a little disappointing) a lot of places are doing this as a standard these days. The bed was a great size, and very comfy, the shower was a reasonable size but had to turn it off to soap up and turn back on the rinse as the jets were as described (Monsoon) then when we got out of the shower there was a large puddle on the floor, which we had to step over. The bedroom is decorated in black and other dark colours and I found it very difficult to find my clothes in the wardrobe, even had to resort to using the torch on my phone. The electric curtains were a nice touch but, though it was air conditioned, I would have liked the option to open a window for some fresh air.
Loved the cocktail bar, especially the special Strawberry/Bacardi one!
I stayed here a few years ago and upon arrival was told they had overbooked, we were moved somewhere else for the first night, which I wasn't impressed with, so the manager said next time he would do me a deal. I mentioned this when I booked but nothing was knocked off nor reduced.
I would use this hotel again next time as its a perfect location for my needs. Nice friendly staff and I found the whole place very clean.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2014

Stayed 2 nights at Manchester, and it was a thoroughly delightful stay. Booked having previously stayed at Malmaison in Edinburgh which was lovely, and this was up to similar standard. We arrived extremely early over the busy Easter Weekend at 11am, and asked if we could drop off our bags. The friendly receptionist informed us that we could check in immediately (instead of 2pm), and we were given a free upgrade to an executive room. The interior is incredibly stylish and sultry.

The room was a little small, but everything you required was in it. The bed was large, and extremely comfortable. Beautifully designed, clean with amazing ensuite shower room (plus Malmaison toiletries). Only downside was that we were not able to open the window, but there was air-con in the room. Had breakfast, lunch and room-service (all delicious). Restaurant could be a little more efficient, with minor delays and confusion among staff but not too much of a problem. The hotel was ideally located near Piccadilly train station, the Trafford Centre, Deansgate and the village. Look forward to staying again next time i'm in town.

1 Thank jinglis84
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2014

This is one of those dark trendy hotels but ideally placed about 2 minutes walk from Piccadilly station and within walking distance of most of the action in Manchester. For us it was a night out, saving on taxi fares and enjoying all that Malmaison has to offer. Staff are friendly, the bar is lively and the Smoak Bar for food is ok. We had the Romeo & Juliet suite so had plenty of space and all that you would expect of one of the Superior Suites. I'd certainly stay again but Manchester does have some great hotels on offer. In terms of noise the weekends can be lively in Piccadilly if you have a front room.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

I didn't realise when I booked Malmaison that it was a 3 star hotel! Having stayed at Malmaison in Birmingham quite a few times the Manchester one is now where near as good. The hotel is very very busy and we waited 20 minutes to check in with three people on the desk. Rooms were clean but small, dark, badly lit with windows which couldn't be opened. Malmaison don't seem to supply any toiletries anymore as our room had just half a bottle of body wash and a bar of half used soap. We did ask for some more but it never arrived. We had no glasses in the room, one cup, no coffee and two cartons of milk. Room Service is 24 hours however we tried to get a cup of Hot Chocolate after getting soaked coming back to the Hotel to be told no hot drinks are served after 12pm! We mentioned all the small deficiencies at check out and the guys behind the desk apologised and said someone would be in touch. They haven't. If you are just looking to get your head down in Manchester and are not bothered by not a terribly good service stay here but if you expect a bit more when you are away from home this place might not be for you.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends