“The perfect balance between luxury and comfort, nicest in Manchester”

Malmaison Manchester
Ranked #35 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
Blackpool, U.K.
“The perfect balance between luxury and comfort, nicest in Manchester”
Reviewed March 25, 2014

I cannot say enough good things about the Malmaison. I have stayed in many hotels, some a lot more expensive than the Mal, and none have been able to match the customer service I have always received from this hotel. Every time I have stayed the staff have always been very courteous, welcoming and could not do enough for you. We stayed recently for my birthday and dined in the restaurant, the staff were very attentive and Hayley in particular was both accommodating and friendly. I only wish every hotel maintained the same levels of customer service. Our meal was lovely, we ate on the Sunday Mal deal and all really enjoyed our food. Especially the Mal Hot Chocolate even though I could not finish it!
The rooms are always furbished to a high standard, quirky and clean. I stayed with a group of girlfriends and we all had a marvellous time and are already discussing when we can come again. The location for Manchester is ideal, easy to find with parking close by, you get a discount at the nearest NCP car park through the hotel. It’s definitely my favourite hotel to stay in, I just wish I could go more often. Thoroughly recommend, you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: All the rooms are equally nice, upgrade if you get the option for a small fee, the suites are also l...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (344)
  • Indonesian first
Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

Having just returned from a night at the Malmaison Manchester I was expecting to be raving about the hotel and the standard of service, after all the saying says you get what ypu pay for and this is not a budget hotel.
First impressions were good, the colour scheme is quite dark and mysterious. On getting to our room I found it to be pretty basic unless you take in to account all the snacks and well stocked mini bar but then that is all extra.
There were 3 of us sharing and the sofa bed was made up ready but why then were there only towels, mugs, glasses, tea and coffee provided for 2 and only 1 packet of biscuits?
The lighting in the room and the position of electrical sockets and mirrors made it extremely difficult to apply make up, do hair or in my case insert contact lenses
We had a meal booked for the evening and although everyone enjoyed it the courses were rushed through and the waiting staff surly.
Breakfast was another disappointment. I requested an americano which was very strong, on being offered a second drink I went for a cappucino which was stone cold. We ordered toast but were served bread in a toast rack. The hot breakfasts although well presented were served on freezing cold plates so were not that pleasant to eat.
All in all I would not want to return and the cost is not justified.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank RoIbMe
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 21, 2014

I stayed in this hotel for a friends wedding as she had the party there. I found the rooms were nice and well decorated, a bit fiddley with the aircon/heating and only one plug socket in the whole room? The hotel itself on an evening was very dark like all the lights were on a dim, the bar was a lovely set up but again I found it quite expensive. The breakfast the next day was nice with a lot of selection, the staff were very helpful and polite so can't fault them at all.
Overall a nice hotel but I wouldnt stay again as I feel the rooms are far too expensive for what they are plus you still have to pay for parking on top of that, the hotel does stamp your ticket so you get a discounted rate but that was still £15 for one night!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 20, 2014

I love Malmaison as a brand and honestly think the one in Farringdon is absolutely amazing. Manchester was a bit of a let down, dusty side tables and tired fittings. The standard wasn't anywhere near as high as others.

The staff were really polite and helpful and restuarant/bar was lovely.

would go 3.5/5 but tripadvisor won't let me.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Ireland
Reviewed March 19, 2014

We recently stayed here on a two night family stay whilst on a city visit to Manchester for a Man United football game. Having never been to Manchester before and finding it difficult to find a good choice of luxury quality accommodation in a good location within Manchester city, we chose this hotel as it seemed the best quality and excellent location.
Where do I start..... !

First of all, we traveled with our young family and OMG were we out of place! (N.B. We are a "normal" fun loving couple in our 30's - not on the quiet side or prudish by any stretch of the imagination!! :-) .... so please bare that in mind as you read on... !!)

On arrival into the reception you get a sense of style and quality however the place resembled none other than a NIGHTCLUB!! Padded walls / chains on the windows / very "sexy"..... It was also so dark (lighting dimmed and decor black & red) we could barely see the room sign-in form and key card number! Anyway, we were not put off by this, just noted it was very different than any other hotels we've ever stayed in but were looking forward to checking into our room.

Good points:
1. Check-in was great, no issues.
2. Food was amazing and restaurant service impeccable (5 star for sure)
3. Room was clean, spacious, good Plasma TV, excellent rainfall shower and cool toiletries (old part of hotel have nicer rooms and larger than the newer more expensive room type?!)

Bad Points:
1. Room was like a scene from 50 shades of grey!!!! (quilted walls and very masculine - not classic luxury style at all.)
2. The Air Con sounded like a waterfall with chuckling water noises from the fan/vent in the room ceiling and was impossible for both us (as guests) and the hotel staff to stabilize the temperature and rectify the noise! It was either roasting hot and peaceful with no noise or freezing but deafening! - No exaggeration!
3. The lights on the wall won't turn on without ALL the ceiling downlighters on, which means its either pitch black or REALLY bright?! No reading / bedside lights for example.
4. The BIGGEST problem of all is the sound proofing in this establishment is just non existent. We could hear EVERYTHING and I mean EVERYTHING!!!! Besides the all day and night banging doors along the corridor from both fellow guests and housekeeping staff, the sound of people talking outside your door, all the way down the corridor - to the loud banging music beneath our room until after 3am... The worst of all was the paper-thin walls between rooms... Our neighbours next door to our room #105 literally BANGED all night long for hours on end against walls, doors and screamed the place down, it was disturbing.
We were kept awake most of the night until around 5.30am, despite us knocking on the wall to their room and telephoning reception to call their room to keep the noise down - This was continuous all night long and could not be blocked out. The theme of the hotel obviously attracts this type of guest?!
5. We had to ring reception / room service 4 times for a drink order before they finally answered and took our order!
6. As we had to avail of a pull out childrens bed, we asked & physically pointed out to house keeping where we wanted this to be placed in a specific location in the bedroom, only to arrive back to the room hours later to find the bed in the totally opposite place we had requested! Again we were ringing down to reception to have this moved and the phone wasn't answered the 1st couple of times we rang, then when we did get an answer, we were left waiting over 40 mins for housekeeping to come up and move the bed so we ended up moving it ourselves!

All in all, the hotel was overpriced and not good value for money. Infact, we could not wait to get home. We felt it was more of an endurance test.

It was more of a classy brothel type establishment - miles away from a classy hotel.

The only thing we can say which did meet the standards of quality was the food and coctails. But you can experience this by dropping in, I wouldn't waste money staying over night here...... Unless you don't plan on sleeping!

NOT A PLACE FOR KIDS AND NOT A PLACE FOR PRUDES.... We found it hilarious to find bags on the housekeeping trolleys that are on the corridors cleaning the rooms, to have "Agent Provocateur" (exclusive designer lingerie brand) bags hanging off them!! Totally summarizes this hotel to a Tee! lol

Room Tip: Don't pick any of the 100 room numbers which are right over the bar and just up the stairs from...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 18, 2014

I recently visited the Malmaison attending an evening function with my family. The hotel is well located next to the railway station and upon entering I found it to be a nice modern hotel with a vibrant atmosphere. Some members of my family had a room which was well appointed and I believe appropriately priced. Upon arrival we approached the bar and were astonished to be charged almost £34 for two glasses of wine and two bottles of beer. A young lady next to us was quoted £38 for a bottle of wine after being told it was not available by the glass. I accept that town centre drinking carries a premium but in my opinion this was extortionate. I later found that the pricing was variable with some charged more and some less. The host had arranged for mid evening snacks for the party of 55, requesting sandwiches and chips. Provided was three small buckets of chips and two small trays of dried up sandwiches, which, with the small plates provided allowed for a couple of quarter sandwiches and a few chips for those lucky enough to be early in the queue. Many guests got nothing. The charge for this was nearly £500. The host has contacted the hotel with concerns and has not even had the courtesy of an acknowledgement.
May be ok for B and B but if your having a function, think carefully before using Malmaison.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Neill E
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

Nice hotel right beside Piccadilly train station. Typical Malmaison decor, grown up hotel. Very good breakfast and decent range of rooms. Restaurant has a great range if anything steak, good a choice all around. Service in bar could be a lot better though.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business