“Little to object to.”

Malmaison Manchester
Ranked #36 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Consistently good, consistently buzzy. Book a superior or executive room. The standard rooms just don't cut it. Bar and bistro are always busy. This is not a typical centre hotel where the bars and restaurants are to be avoided at all costs. It has a great location 3 minutes walk from the train station and within a £5 cab ride to almost anywhere in town. What's to complain about?

Room Tip: Don't book a standard room, however if you do and take the option to join the upgrade list, you...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (2,592)

Reviewed May 19, 2013

Really nice hotel, the check in was warm and friendly. Requested a quiet room on check in and this was noted, my room was silent! Location wise great, downtown and easy walk to many restaurants however the hotel has a lovely restaurant and bar on site. Great for a pre dinner drink.

Great internet connection, connected straight away with no problems or delays which is key to me on business travel. The bedrooms are comfortable, stylish and spacious, really good night sleep - I booked just a standard room so I imagine the upgraded rooms are even bigger. They also have a full bath tub which is something I look for when at a hotel as many just have a shower.

Breakfast was cooked to order, hot, fresh and of good quality.

Overall a really pleasant stay and I would certainly return when I am on business in Manchester. Agree with the other reviews, its is so far from the hotels I have stayed in Manchester, the best.

Room Tip: If you like a quiet room ask the receptiion, they really do listen and allocate according to their t...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Stayed for two days, one night. Rooms were really nice with mini bar, savoury snacks, free safe, tv and Internet. Friendly professional staff. I really liked the bar, which reminded me of something you would see in New York, doesn't appear to close and with very attentive waiting staff. Also had the added bonus of meeting the group Blue in the bar who were a great bunch of guys and, due to their down to earth and really friendly attitude, made some new fans. This was a business trip, but I would return with my wife and family to try out the restaurant, which had a good queue forming at midday when I was leaving.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 15, 2013

My daughter and I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights in early May 2013, staff could not be more helpful, we had the room called True Blue, which is amazing and well worth the extra money. Would recommend this hotel for the traveller, great location and great bar downstairs. Make the best bloody Mary's.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Booked 2 rooms ( 1 standard + 1 superior ) staff very helpful about arranging cot etc, but standard room 118 was just that standard and small. Also booked a superior room which was upgraded to executive 132 ..... which was bigger but not sure what a superior room is like ? As executive was nice but nothing spectacular.
Room only rate which gives nothing away I would have like breakfast included for the steep price, but there are plenty of breakfast venues within short walking distance.
Even when they know it is a special treat ( big birthday) they don't go out of their way to spoil you.
I think they are resting on their Malmaison laurels a bit.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 8, 2013

We have just returned from a 3 night stay at this hotel over the bank holiday weekend. Check in was easy and staff very efficient, the room was really nice and a lot more than we were expecting for what we paid. We had considered upgrading and were glad that we didn't bother as the room was big enough and had everything we needed. The bed was huge and really comfortable, fittings and fixtures were all nice too, and the bathroom was lovely with an amazing shower and decent sized bath. The cleanliness of room was to a good standard, although you did notice some dust on the tables and mirrors when the sun was shining in the window, but not that big of a deal...

We didn't eat at the hotel, but we did have a drink down at the bar which was a bit rubbish, as we waited ages to get served, and the staff don't really seem to know their stuff, which is fine, but if I'm paying nearly £10 for a single malt I would like not having it poured in a glass filled to the brim with ice!!

Location of this hotel is really good, and I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again next time I'm in Manchester. The only thing we had an issue with is the fact that we were charged again for our booking on check-out, even though the room was pre-paid in advance. They are in the process of resolving this though, hopefully swiftly so I don't regret giving them a good review!!

Room Tip: We asked for a quiet room and they gave us a room on the 5th floor, which did the trick.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Overall I am very happy with my 3 night stay in this hotel. The location of it is excellent, especially if arriving by train, and most things are in easy walking distance. The room itself was spacious and well appointed, with a big comfortable bed, nice bathroom, plenty of storage space etc. Blackout curtains worked well, and the windows certainly kept out all sound from the busy streets below. And the shower was remarkable, possibly the best I've ever used in a hotel - most enjoyable! However the hotel does need some extra care and attention, lots of things are a little scuffed, scratched, stained etc. It doesn't feel in any way dirty, quite the opposite, but there are lots of signs of wear and tear that don't seem to be high priority to be sorted. That's all that is keeping me from awarding full marks. Staff were friendly and attentive on reception, including providing me with an extension lead (as all plug sockets are annoyingly at the far end of the room and I needed something close to the bed).

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo