“Made a mistake booking here and very overpriced!”

Malmaison Manchester
Ranked #34 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

Booked 2 rooms for 1 night which at 140 per room you would expect a lot? We didn't!

Tuesday:

Took 20 minutes to take food order, then 40 for it to arrive, no apology, no check back. Had to find waiter myself to pay!

Rooms were very dirty indeed, thick dust on top of TV areas, wasn't fresh dust either, cracked mirror hidden by a lamp! Broken tv screen, dirty tiles and worst of all the pillows were horrendous! Worst night sleep. Small and poky. Get more room in the Travelodge!

Asked for milk from room service...never arrived!

Wednesday:

Loud house keeping then saw them sat in the floor talking!

Checked out with some miserable young girl who obviously didn't want to be there. No name badge to get her name. Didn't ask how stay was.

Overall: Good location, Malmaison has dropped it's standards significantly and NEEDS to sort it's pillows out!!! Not worth the room rate at all and cleanliness needs to be addressed!!

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank andynextgen

Reviewed March 3, 2013

Not great at all. Stayed here a few years ago and was a very different experience then.

Checked is at 4pm to be told the room wasn't ready for us. No apology. No time given as to when the room would be available. We were asked to wait. The room had been put in a queue for cleaning but there were at least 10 in front of it. Nothing they could do to make it quicker. Utterly pathetic.

Eventually a room was available. Brilliant!

The room itself was pretty shabby. Curtains were torn, bath was chipped, marks everywhere and stains on the lampshades. Lovely. TV was miniature, and the picture was shockingly bad.

Headed into town and came back at 11ish to get a few last drinks. The bar was dire. Sunken in the ground with seats around. Stood there for 5 minutes without the bar staff looking up from cleaning glasses / chatting so went to the room for mini bar instead.

On check out they did clear the mini bar bill but that was very much the highlight. Would never stay again, despite the free drinks they have offered on our supposed return. Could have stayed in a Travel Inn for half the price and had a better experience.

Oh... and the 'Mal' brand started to become utterly annoying. The soap came in a wrapper that 'dares' you to steal it (why you would want to steal a used soap I do not know). In addition your key card says 'stick with me, I'll open doors for you'. Clever stuff brand agency. Genius.

Avoid. Absolute 'merde'.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chris G
Reviewed March 3, 2013

A brief and honest review from someone who stays in hotels weekly. First impressions good and location great. If traveling buy car NCP near and 50% off for guests. Partner rates the hotel highly and she would return. Check in was 3pm on weekend [2pm mid week].Arrived at 2pm on Saturday and had to wait an hour to find out room was still not ready at 3pm. Given excuses about number of rooms and people checking out late. This fell on deaf ears as there is set number of rooms and time to clean so either hire more cleaners or adjust checking in/out times. After raising a complaint a room becomes available. The main issue was the dismissive attitude as if I should just wait as long as it took. Room nice, with a lovely wet room. Sky sports in the room too, which is a positive change. Breakfast ok. Very poor and slow service though. I had to constantly chase up everything with people forgetting orders. As others have commented more attention needed on staff training and basic customer service. School report......has the ability but needs to try harder. This was my first visit so others must judge if I was just unlucky based on other reviews. Scores... Room 8/10, location 9/10, food 7/10, service 6/10.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 3, 2013

We stayed in The Malmaison on Sunday 17th February for a late Valentines treat. The hotel is in a great loaction with Piccadily station just over the road. Easy to get to the shopping area and pubs and restaurants. We arrived about 3pm but our room wasn't ready but they took our bags for us so we could go in to town for a while.The hotel is buzzing with people and has a lovely atmosphere. All reception staff were polite and smiley!
Our room was lovely. We recieved an email in the week offering us a upgrade for £12 extra which we did and it was worth it. The rooms are very big, huge bed, small louge are and a dressing table. The bathroom was a great size too with a drench shower and a bath. Free toiletries to which is always a nice touch. Overall we had a great stay and will definatley return to the Malmaison chain again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 3, 2013

I booked Malmaison because I knew the chain and I like red and black. Generally they get the details right and in terms of a comfortable bed and a great shower they scored again. The letdown was the breakfast. As we were seated we were asked about coffee and toast. Unfortunately as we were about to leave they finally arrived and only after two further requests. At least three tables close to us had the same problem. The problem did not seem to be staff numbers, more to do with communication between serving staff and the kitchen. This was on a lazy Sunday morning but would not bode well for a busy workday

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 3, 2013

This was the second time I stayed at Manchester Mal; the first was over two year ago now. Malmaison is styled like a boutique chain with plush velvet curtains, chaise lounges and thick patterned wall paper. The decor is lush and inviting although I do find the framed photos of naked torsos or corseted figures a bit odd (I've heard each Mal is styled after whatever the building used to be so does that mean this used to be a brothel?).

I was in town for business and we had drinks and dinner booked for clients and I can not fault the food one bit. Steak for 40 people is never an easy feat and mine came out perfectly medium-rare and delicious. Our private cocktail area was exactly that with an added cozy corner with plush booths hidden behind another velvet curtain.

I was slightly disappointed that my frozen strawberry daquiri was in fact not frozen at all but just served over crushed ice--not exactly frozen. Minor complaint but I do like my cocktails.

The amenities in the room are top notch with free wifi, large flat screen tv, desk, deluxe size Molton Brown toiletries---hot water and water pressure are not an issue at all and also the hair-dryer was high powered. I know that may seem silly but if you have long hair there is nothing worse then a hair dryer that barely blows!

I will say I was disappointed that the bathroom smelled like a bathroom. From the moment I walked in it smelled slightly sewer-y and the smell did not dissipate through my stay. As I was in town on business I didn't have time to enquire or complain. You couldn't smell it in the main room or I would have brought it to management attention.

Overall the value for money--especially when you factor in food--is amazing. You can see Manchester Piccadilly Station from the front door so you couldn't be more central.

Room Tip: There are blackout blinds in every room so it doesn't matter :)