“Great weekend break”

Ranked #32 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
London
“Great weekend break”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

We are boutique hotel fanatics and have always wanted to stay at a Malmaison. However have always found their rates on the high side. And any "deals" they ave never were never available on weekends or were still quite expensive.

So somewhat suprised to find a good deal on their website which was available on a Fri/Sat night. They usurped our usual Manchester hotel (Hilton Deansgate) who also had a rate which was on the high side.

What we liked
- Friendly reception staff, nothing too much trouble and anything sorted out quickly.
- New restaurant, Smoak, excellent food, excellent atmosphere.
- Fantastic location in the middle of the city on Piccadily. But soundproofind meant it was quiet.
- Breakfast was good. They used quality incredients, you could tell. No buffet, food was freshly cooked. Freshly squeezed orange juice, freshly baked croissants, high end yoghurt.

What we didn't like
- Fantastic meal at Smoak but the set menu price was bumped up a lot with costs for bread, steak sauce, service charge, and the drinks were extortionate. Expensive.
- Rooms are indeed boutique but they are looking a bit old. A lot of hotels now sport a similar look and are smarter and fresher. I think a referesh is in order.
- No real parking, Small discount at the NCP nearby but that NCP doesnt look secure. Tip is to use the station car park which is cheap at weekend and very secure.

Altogether, not a bad stay, but Malmaison need to up their game and not trade on their boutique reputation. Even small B&B's are having hte boutique treatment. And in Manchester their is considerable competition in the hotel market. Just oppoiste is both the Abode and Doubletree hotels.Which look much more sytlish.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Craig R, Manager at Malmaison Manchester, responded to this review, September 2, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I'm glad that there were many positive aspects to your stay and sorry that some things were not to your satisfaction.

I hope that you will consider returning to us on a future occassion and if so, may I recommend an executive room on the new side of the hotel. I expect that you will find them a little fresher, lighter and perhaps more to your liking.

Duty Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (341)
  • Indonesian first
Cheshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

We stayed here for one night at the end of August. First impressions were that the hotel was lovely (although night-vision goggles are needed for the dimly lit reception area and lift(!) but I really loved the decor and ambience. Check-in was easy and the receptionist was very helpful. We stayed on the 3rd floor in a superior room that had a bath. The room was fantastic: loads of space, a huge bed, big bathroom, fantastic decor, and super clean. It was very quiet too - I barely heard a peep all night. I really couldn't fault the room or the hotel and its fab location. Our only problems were with the bar and restaurant.... In the evening we decided to have a drink in the bar before dinner in the hotel's restaurant. My husband had his drink served to him, but I had to wait over 15 minutes for my cocktail to be made - despite customers who'd arrived after me having theirs mixed before me. Dinner in the restaurant was lovely and the food was delicious (if a little expensive, and again the service was quite slow - but it was a Friday night and they were fully booked). Breakfast was included on our tariff, and the choice offered with the continental breakfast was more than sufficient, however we decided to go for a cooked breakfast. Unfortunately, my husband's order arrived incorrect. The waiter on our table didn't seem very attentive and failed to bring some toast that we'd asked for and we struggled to attract his attention - he seemed a little disinterested to be honest. We overheard diners on the tables close to ours also having similar complaints (poor service, incorrect orders, etc). On check-out, the helpful receptionist asked if we'd had any problems, and we told her about the poor service at the bar and restaurant. To her credit, she waivered our bar bill (of £17) and that was good enough for us. I would definitely return to the hotel, as I do think that they were just very busy and a little unprepared, and it was still a very enjoyable stay.

Dear Guest,

I'm sorry to hear that the bar and breakfast service let down what seems was an otherwise enjoyable stay; thank you for your feedback. I will address this with the departments involved.
I'm glad to hear however that this will not deter you from returning. If you wish to do so, please contact me directly on 0161 2781000 and i will happily look after your reservation.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is stylish, modern and quite cool to stay in. A good wine selection and nice steak too. Pleasent staff and the team were helpful on the front desk.
We will be back again soon for more comfort and wine !

• Stayed August 2012
Dear Guest,

It's lovely to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us and i'll look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

LIVERPOOL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

My wife and I decided to stay at the Malmaison as it appeared to be the better of the two hotels our friends had secured a discounted rate for to attend there daughters wedding, we had per booked our room many months in advance and were a little disappointed that following a phone call to the hotel the day before arrival to enquire about check in times were told no check in before 3pm as we were being picked up by coach for the short trip to the wedding venue at 3.15pm this meant we could not avail ourselves of the hotel room facility's to prepare and change for the day ahead not really a complaint but we felt the hotel could have been a little more flexible for a large group booking.

Anyway we arrived at the hotel around 2pm and as it turned out a room was ready for us just a shame they could not have guaranteed that the day before, Our room was an executive room and perfectly adequate for a one night stay although not as spacious as the website would have you believe great value for the price we paid but not so sure the value would be the same at full rake rate, service from check in to breakfast the next morning was first class and the breakfast itself was fine.

In short a very nice city center hotel with great bathrooms a good restaurant and well appointed rooms, But you do need to find a deal to justify the cost

1 Thank FOCUSVON
Craig R, Manager at Malmaison Manchester, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I hope that you had a wonderful time at the wedding you attended.

Unfortunately, the time required to turn around rooms when the hotel is full means that it is not possible to guarantee the availability of a room before 3pm. Having said that, we will always do our best to accommodate those checking in early and will happily check you in to a room as soon as there is one available.

It seems that you otherwise had a very positive experience with us and I'm grateful for your feedback.

Walsall
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2012

When we arrived at this hotel we were checked in early however when we went to the room it smelt terrible so we asked to be moved. We were offered the chance up pay extra for an upgraded room straight away or we could wait until a room became available. As we had already paid for a one category upgrade we decided to wait. When we got our room it did smell better and the bathroom was fantastic however the room was very tired. There were hairs on the bed, the sheets had holes in and the t.v picture was awful abd has limited volume whcih made it had to hear. As we had already complained once we just put up with it as we were only there for one night. What I found most shocking about this hotel was at breakfast the following morning, when I went to the buffet part of the restaurant I was confronted by 5 or 6 hanging carcuses of meat. As a vegetarian this was not want I wanted to experience first thing in the morning and it really put me off my breakfast. I am disguisted that this hotel do not consider how it's guests may react to this if you wanted to collect buffet breakfast there was no getting away from it. Overall this hotel was tired, felt dirty and has put me off visiting this chain again.

Room Tip: Don't bother
1 Thank F1Gal
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback on your recent stay.

I'm sincerely apologetic that you had such a poor experience and I would be grateful if you would give me the opportunity to discuss these issues with you personally. Please contact me on 0161 2781000 at your convenience and I will look forward to speaking to you.

Peterborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2012

T'was our 5th wedding anniversary and we wanted to do something different. Secret Escapes e mail had just arrived in the inbox and this hotel was on offer. I checked what rail deal we could get and found an acceptable price and booked up both for quick visit to somewhere new.
We arrived slightly early and the lovely lady on reception was about to check us in when she asked why we were in Manchester, told her why and she upgraded us to an executive room and gave a chitty for two complementary glasses of champagne. A very nice touch indeed. We also asked about suggestions for food and she got a map out and gave us an idea of where to go. What I liked was she didn't just say 'oh we have a restaurant here in the hotel'.
The place is a young persons hotel, very low lights and blacks/reds in places. The room however was very nice indeed, clean as a whistle and very comfy bed. The mini bar was well stocked if that was your thing but some of the items were a little pricy. Plenty of bits n' pieces in the bathroom.
Foodwise, we found a fabulous Russian restaurant not far from the hotel. St Petersberg on sackville street. Use money and not Groupon voucher seemed to be the hint from the TA reviews. We loved it. Breakfast in the hotel was included in the price and was a mixture of order and buffet. Again top notch. Check out was late enough to give us time to chill before heading back to the stn and our train home. Very nice stay indeed...

Dear Guest,

It's lovely to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were well looked after by our reception team.

I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back on another occassion.

Beverley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2012

Paid £69 per night for a twin room and breakfast. Beds are soooo comfortable, bathroom spacious with separate monsoon shower. Very central and just a 5 min walk from a tram stop and shops. Booked through secretescapes.com.

• Stayed August 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your lovely review; i'm so pleased you enjoyed your stay.

i hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.