“Good location for the airport & comfortable rooms”

Hilton Manchester Airport
Ranked #58 of 118 Hotels in Manchester
York, United Kingdom
“Good location for the airport & comfortable rooms”
Reviewed July 6, 2014

We stayed at Manchester before setting off for our honeymoon early the following morning.

As we are HHonors members and told the hotel that we were celebrating, we were treated to a free drink each and an upgrade to a recently renovated room, which was a nice surprise. We had our drinks outside in the bar's garden, which was clean and pleasant enough considering that it runs next to the major road linking the hotels to the airport terminals. Service in the bar was prompt and friendly.

Check in was quick and easy, taking no more than two minutes, and we were given directions to our room.

The room had two queen size beds, which were comfortable, and the bathroom (which looked slightly more dated than the rest of the room) had a bath as well as a shower, with the usual Hilton toiletries. The room was quiet and we didn't hear any noise from the road outside or planes taking off or landing.

We left the hotel at 2am, and were able to walk straight on to the shuttle to the airport terminal, a free of charge service provided by the hotel every 15-30 minutes.

We didn't eat in the hotel restaurant, instead heading to the excellent Sampans restaurant at the Crowne Plaza nearby (though it's close, it's a good 20 minute walk due to the road layout).

Overall a decent, if not outstanding, experience typical of Hilton in the UK.

Room Tip: There are a number of recently decorated rooms, ask for one of these when making your reservation.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
GM_HiltonMA, Manager at Hilton Manchester Airport, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Dear Guest

Congratulations on your nuptials! I hope you went on to have a fantastic honeymoon and I am so glad that we could make it special for you before you started on your lovely journey.

I must admit I was disappointed to read that you did not have your evening meal here with us as we have a fantastic restaurant, Mason's, offering a fresh and varied menu of fish, steaks, homemade Aberdeen Angus burgers, pastas, with specials being featured regularly. We also have a woodstone pizza oven on show in the restaurant delivering delicious hot tasty pizzas. Don't forget, children under 10 eat for free from their own special menu when parents are dining in Mason's. You can always ask us for a menu before arrival and we will be glad to send/email you a copy.

We all look forward to having you back here as our guests and send you our very best wishes in your new wedded life together.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (377)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 6, 2014

Arriving from Kos 2 am Manchester Airport, tired (& my wife walks with a stick following a stroke), we were booked in to the nearby Hilton until noon. Phoned hotel as soon as out of arrivals & told which stand to go to. Only just got there when hotel taxi appeared. Friendly driver who took luggage to room. Very pleasant & polite gentleman at reception - both these men very "old school". Room & bed comfortable. Olde worlde touch. Bath & shower fine. Variety of choice (including black pudding - cheers!) at all you can eat breakfast - even brought mustard in a dish when I asked. Again helpful, friendly staff. Thoroughly recommend.

Room Tip: No idea - we booked thro' Thomson / First Choice Holiday Extras. And I know you're U S based...
Dear Ian

Thank you so much for your lovely thoughtful review and it was lovely to read that you were taken good care of. If that reflects "old school" then I am very pleased to say that we love caring for our guests and will always continue to do so. Thank you for highlighting our service dear guest, it is lovely to have it recognised.

Yes, if you are a fan of black pudding then we have it here! Glad to oblige and we all look forward to having you back here as our guests.

Many kind regards
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed July 3, 2014

A fairly dated hotel but excellent proximity to Manchester airport. The hotel feels somewhat functional (plenty of people around but it lacks life). The rooms were comfortable, but not upmarket. Internet was not included and was fairly pricey. I did not hear any aircraft noise, which I thought I may hear being so close to the airport. For what I expected from the Hilton brand this hotel was nothing really to write home about. It's relatively old and dated.

I ate a meal in my room, but be aware of the 5 pound tray charge, that can be a real sting. I found this little gem out after I ordered. It's printed in fine print, blue on silver which was almost impossible to read. (this represented 20% of my meal charge).

Breakfast was a bit of a letdown. Some customers were complaining that all of the cereal boxes were 'out of date'. Perhaps I was suspicious at this point, but the fruit (peaches and pears) were clearly fermenting. Turned me off breakfast a little bit.

The concierge service to the airport was on time and great.

I can see why this hotel does not (or perhaps can not) command the same prices as some of the hotels that surround the airport precinct.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear Chris

Thank you very much for taking the time to enter a review on TripAdvisor and I am sorry that you did not wholly enjoy your stay.

I have passed your feedback about breakfast to our chef whom I know will be looking into this. It is a shame as our breakfast usually attracts great praise and is said to be the "best in the business". However, I am aware that this was not your experience and would, once again, apologise for that.

We do offer complimentary wifi in our coffee and reception areas so please do ask at reception about this.

I am glad that you enjoyed our courtesy shuttle bus and the fact that we are very close to the actual airport without being able to hear any noise.

I do hope that you will decide to come back and visit us again soon dear guest and, until then, would assure you of my best attention at all times.

Reviewed July 2, 2014

The Hotel front of house is good, especially Paul the concierge.
Its when you get to the Restaurant that it becomes a farce, what with a waiter that doesnt wait and a barman that is slower than a snail, we just went to the bar ourselves and purchased direct, then as for ordering food OMG 45 mins just to order, followed by the meals coming out like a baton relay. No one ate at the same time; and the childrens meal was not only wrong but had cheese in it. No big deal i hear you cry ; it is when you have said no cheese as they are allergic to it. When approached by the Shift manager Emma, i was told that they were busy and only had 3 waiters for the time of evening (1900). well then everyone was in chaos, barmen were waiting on, and waiters were behind the bar, all that was missing was Basil Faulty.
I asked for it to be charged to my room , only to get the bill presented to pay there and then, so up to the room to get my wallet, i had lost the will after 2 hours just for a burger and the other food of which i have forgotten it was that unimpressive.

Would i stay here again Yes but for the love of god ,dont charge those prices for food and deliver Cafe service. I got 50% off the bill, but by that time i would of paid the full amount and walked away in disbelief at the service; i just didnt care anymore. shame as i have said the the front of house was great.

Room Tip: buy mcdonalds
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
GM_HiltonMA, Manager at Hilton Manchester Airport, responded to this review, June 26, 2015
Dear Peepers75

Thank you very much for your in-depth review and I am sorry that you were let down with your restaurant service, however, would thank you for complimentary Paul and front of house.

To tell you the truth, I can only believe that this must have been written quite a while ago as Emma is no longer at this establishment and has not been for some time. There have been improvements and additions and I am sure that the next time you come you will notice this.

Once again, I do apologise for the fault in service, am so pleased to read that you will come again and, until then, would send you my very best wishes.

Warm regards
newcastle, england
Reviewed June 29, 2014

Fine for an airport stopover, but rooms are a little shabby. Stayed here at the start of our honeymoon, and although they said congratulations at check in, they didn't even offer us a drink voucher which I thinks pretty poor for a Hilton, especially since we're HHons Members. Breakfast was actually great though, and transfer bus to airport was very regular.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Bridlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 28, 2014

We did not want to travel on a Sunday, so booked 2 nights before our early Monday morning flight.
We asked for a room on a high floor and for it to be quiet, the confirmation stated high floor room away from the ellevaror, so as we arrived at 3.05pm on what seemed to be a fairly slack time you would have thought this request would have been easily granted, not so, we were given a room on the ground floor just around the corner from the lift. After a long journey we couldn,t be bothered to ask for a swop.
We phoned from the Airport Railway Station for a transfer, they were quite some time in answering the call, I was told a mini bus was on its way, we waited an age for it to arrive.
For a twin room there was only towels enough for 1 person and the bare minimum of pillows, I started to walk back to reception for the extra towels and pillows, just outside our room in the corridor was a room maid, so I was able to make my request to her. this is my first time I have been in the laundry of a hotel, the young man rummaged around for extra pillows, I must admit my thoughts were I hope they are clean as he was rummaging amongst soiled pillows, in fairness the guy was very friendly.
Very disapointed with breakfast on Sunday morning, poor choice and amount on show, I like to drink decaf coffee, this was served by the cup rather than a pot, meaning I had to search out a waiter for my second cup.
No time for breakfast on Monday morning as our check in was very early, there were 2 other people waiting for the transfer bus, we waited an age and during this wait many others turned up, when 2 minibuses turned up together it was just a surge forward to get a place on 1 of them, the drivers seemed to be at outs with one another and when the lady made comment to her partner that they would be getting near to final check in time, the younger driver snapped back at her that they would be there as soon as possible.
I am a Hilton Honours member, but will think twice before using this site again.

Room Tip: Don,t make any request,s and you might get a room of your prefference
1 Thank Kev012
GM_HiltonMA, Manager at Hilton Manchester Airport, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your detailed review and I was so sorry to read that you were disappointed with your stay.

Unless a guest is disabled, our room requests do tend to be that, requests only and we will most certainly honour them where we can. However, it may be that we have already guests in-house and could not keep the room vacant until a certain guests checks-in. Nevertheless, I can feel your disappointment but do wish you to know that we do try very hard to achieve all of our loyal guests' preferences.

Our shuttle bus can take up to 25 minutes to arrive dependent upon traffic, timings and demand. However, normally our bus comes for you when you ring but we do advise that it can take a bit longer. Again, when leaving in the morning, we do advise at peak times (perhaps kindly ask at reception when they are likely to be) that more time is allocated to being transported across to the terminal or railway buildings.

I am sorry that there were no enough towels or pillows for you, I am wondering if the booking showed single occupancy but this should have been remedied at check-in and I shall ask Front Desk to keep vigilant for this happening again.

I have requested that Chef checks on early morning breakfast as normally this is said to be "the best in the business" and I am sorry if this was not the case for you.

Thank you for your feedback and, once again, I am sorry that your stay was marred on more than one level. I do hope that, in hindsight, you will decide to come back and stay with us again whereupon we would make every effort to make you feel welcome. Just let us know when you are coming.

Until then, my very best wishes to you.

Qawra, Malta
Reviewed June 28, 2014

I used the Hilton one night this week to enable me to catch a flight early the following morning.
Check in was immediate, friendly and efficient.
The room was perfect for a short stay, quiet and welcome effective air-con and all the required facilities.
My red snapper was excellent in their restaurant accompanied by an perfect pint of Guinness.
Transport to my terminal at 0430 was quick and comfortable.

I will definitely be returning!

Room Tip: Confirm your room will be quiet,and if you need a decent view make sure you specify it, although in...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Dear John

Thank you so much for your lovely review and it sounds as though we ticked all the boxes for you, even down to the red snapper!

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and that you will be coming back. Until then, my very best wishes to you.

Hotel Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manchester
Crowne Plaza Manchester Airport
Radisson Blu Hotel, Manchester Airport
Clayton Hotel Manchester Airport
Holiday Inn Express Manchester Airport
Premier Inn Manchester Airport (M56/J6) Runger Lane North
Manchester Airport Marriott Hotel

Been to Hilton Manchester Airport? Share your experiences!