“Choose another airport hotel!”

Hilton Manchester Airport
Ranked #57 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Choose another airport hotel!”
Reviewed January 21, 2012

We stayed here for two nights on a £50 per night deal, one before an early flight from Manchester airport and one following a late flight on the return leg.

Location - hotel is very close to the airport terminals - I think there are walkways but they involve crossing busy roads, so we got a transfer from the terminal.

Transfers - we assumed that transfers would be sent regularly given the amount of rooms and the fact it serves the airport, but be aware you need to call in advance to book the shuttle bus from the hotel. Once we booked, it took 15-20 minutes or so to show up, not sure why it took this long given the proximity of the hotel. There are no signs specifying where you are picked up from, so make sure you are in the right place by checking with the hotel (once you get through to them - took us a few attempts). Shuttle bus is free, however.

Rooms - these are ok, apart from a bit of mould around the bath seals, could do with a refresh. Towels seem clean, shampoo and other bits are provided. Seemed clean enough and bed was fine, slept well both times.

Restaurant/bar - two options for eating, the restaurant or the bar. I have stayed in the hotel several times in previous years on business, and they used to have a buffet-style starter option in the restaurant but this appears to have disappeared. We decided to eat in the bar as choices in the restaurant weren't to our liking and the price would have been ~£30-40 a head once you add on side dishes, drinks etc. Bar food selection was fine, but the prices are extortionate. The hotel is situated in such an area that there are very few other options - we found a pub a walk away but this wasn't doing food the night we were there. No takeaway places deliver for some reason. As an example of the food prices, a burger and chips is £15, a curry was £17. The food was ok, but not worth the price by any means.

"Room Service" - on the return trip, the bar food closes at 11 so we had no choice after a long flight but to order to our room. Options are very limited to sandwiches and a few expensive presumably microwaved meals (Thai curry was available at about £16 I believe). We ordered two baguettes, once room service picked up the phone (took 3 or 4 tries with no success). After ordering and waiting 40 minutes, we called to be told they would be another 15. A further 20 minutes later and the food finally arrived, including £4 "tray charge" which I politely crossed out and refused to pay.

There are plenty of other options around the airport, and I will certainly not be staying here again. I would recommend you steer clear and pay a bit more to stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (365)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed January 19, 2012

Arrived to find the place was a building site we had not been told when we booked as would have stayed elsewhere. No bar and the restraint wads tempory affair set up in a meeting room loud drilling noises vibrating around the whole place. Why don't their just close theese places while they refurbish great start to our holoday

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank Travelgang1
GM_HiltonMA, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Manchester Airport, responded to this review, January 26, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and I am so sorry that you came to stay with us right at the beginning of our restaurant/bar refurbishment. For about 2 days it was necessary to complete some drilling work but we did try and contain this to times when guests would be least disturbed. We moved our restaurant and bar into one of our conference rooms which is running smoothly with little negative impact.

Our lobby area is still fully functional with our Costa Coffees continually being served, no difference there and lunch is either in the lobby area or the specially set-up restaurant. The kitchen is not affected whatsoever and therefore our fantastic breakfasts, lunch and dinners are being served.

The reason that we have shut the restaurant is because we are opening, on target for the end of February, our brand new restaurant callled Mason's. It will have an international flavour but feature a woodburning pizza oven - more contemporary and very exciting! Our lobby area has already been refurbished and we will start on the bedrooms within the next few weeks. Yes, it would be great to shut the hotel and blitz the work but unfortunately it does not happen like that. We were never completely sure when the work would begin and we have bookings from over one year ago. We are very sorry if there has been any impact on our lovely loyal guests but we truly have tried to minimize disruption and are always willing to find a quiet place for any guest that needed it. The drilling has stopped and we are all now looking very much forward to a fantastic Mason's and brand new bar area too.

If anyone wishes to know more about this work that will be coming to an end soon then they only have to contact me.

Belfast,Northern Ireland
Reviewed January 17, 2012

I was here for a two day meeting including a one night stay. While this hotel is undergoing refurbishment, it really can't come soon enough! However despite this, the standard of clealiness throughout the hotel, and especially in the bedroom, was poor. When I returned to the room and started to work, I discovered how bad it was. The skirting board, window sill and other parts of the room hadn't been cleaned for weeks. There were 'liquid' stains on the lampshade, the divan was badly stained and the floor hadn't been cleaned properly. There was also the smell of smoke, like the room had recently been occupied by someone who smoked - not pleasant. Tiles around the bath and shower were also extremely grotty. I was so disgusted, I called the duty manager and he came to the room. He couldn't defend it but said that a refurbishment was coming but I highlighted regardless of this, it shouldn't have affected the cleaning. He offered to move me to another room, but as it was late and I was only staying for one night, so decided it wasn't worth it, so he offered me a night cap and his card for the next time I was going to be in the area. Despite seeing that the hotel was obviously at fault, I was disappointed that he didn't offer a gesture of sorts, like a discount off my bill, but nothing was forthcoming. I was surprised by the lack of customer care from Hilton particularly as I am Hilton Hhonors member. The BT Openzone Wifi was variable and particularly when that was an additional charge, I would have expected better. On the plus side, the courtesy bus to and from the airport was prompt and friendly and the conference team were friendly and helpful particularly Sandra. However, I would really think twice about returning here . . .

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 16, 2012

I'd rate this Hilton average or slightly below, compared to other Hilton's I've stayed at throughout Europe. The only thing this hotel has going for it is it's close proximity to Manchester airport. Check-in service was good (front desk person was very cheerful and helpful). Check-out was below average (person clearly didn't care about being there or helping out). Shuttle service in the morning was timely and efficient.

It appears the hotel is under going renovations. I was lucky enough to stay in one of the recently renovated rooms, but the bed was horrible. One side of the king mattress was completely collapsed. The tv had limited channels and did not allow connections for external devices. Bathroom was spacious and clean, but the water pressure was on the low-side.

This Hilton does not have an executive lounge and breakfast in the restaurant was poor (very limited food selection). Additionally, I was told breakfast would start at 0430; however, it was not ready until 0445. This might sound like a minor inconvenience, but when you have an international flight leaving at 0700, this doesn't allow for proper time to eat.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Allen H
GM_HiltonMA, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Manchester Airport, responded to this review, January 17, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and I am sorry that your stay was not as pleasurable as it should have been.

I have read your points and would like you to know that we do take up each point and the relevant Head of Department is informed of the issue. It is never acceptable that one of my colleagues should be indifferent to you checking out and this will be investigated.

Yes, we are undergoing renovations which affects our lobby and restaurant. However, we are trying to minimize disruption and it is business as usual with other parts of the hotel being utliized for those services. The quality of breakfast should not have been affected and I will ask Chef to ensure consistent quality - I will also ensure that the breakfast manager is ready with service at the correct time. You are quite right, when time is short the minutes count.

Our older style bedrooms are to be refurbished as well and this will commence soon with little disruption. It would be nice to shut the hotel for 2 months and complete our works, opening to a fantastic and exciting new hotel. Unfortuntately we cannot do this but can say that the changes being made are truly for our guests' benefit and hope that you will be back soon to experience our new Mason's Restaurant and updated bedrooms.

Once again, thank you for your feedback, it is always a gift to us and I would assure you of my best attention at all times.

East Yorkshire
Reviewed January 16, 2012

It's been many years since I have stayed in an airport hotel, but with an early morning flight to catch, my family and I decided that would be the best option.
We chose the Hilton as my parents had stayed there before and had a good experience, plus it was very reasonable to leave our car there for the duration of our holiday. We arrived early evening, parked up & checked in with the greatest of ease. The staff were friendly and took our many bags up to our 2 rooms. The hotel itself has been slightly modernised in the main areas such as reception & bar, however the rooms are fairly standard and will probably remain that way. They were clean and warm, had TV with many channels and the bathroom was spotless. The bed wasn't especially comfy, but we only had a few hours to sleep anyway and I don't suppose many people stay more than one night at a time here.
We met shortly afterwards in the bar area and had a very good meal - far better than some pubs and restaurants we have been to. Our server could not have been more friendly or attentive, so our holiday certainly got off to a very good start indeed!
The next morning, a minibus was waiting to take us to the terminal, which took no time at all.
Upon our return, the wait for the minibus was slightly longer due to it being more of a sociable hour than when we had left! Two came and picked up other people, so we had to wait for the third one, which didn't matter as there was a bus shelter to stand in & try to keep as warm as possible! It was so easy once we were dropped back at the carpark and the ladies working there were so friendly and helpful. We would most definitely stay here again if the need arose, and have already recommended it to people.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 15, 2012

Arrival was smooth and painless with fairly efficient checkin although the receptionist was pulling over people from the queue in a fairly random order but I was dealt with quickly and professionally.
Was provided with a 'Deluxe' room however I'm not sure what this had above and beyond a standard room.
Room was perfectly adequate and clean. As others have noted there is a mess of tangled cables under the desk but that didn't worry me although it looks a little untidy.
Bathroom was a good size and even though the shower felt a little under-powered it was all ok and clean.

Air-conditioning didn't work at all, and even on full cold was blowing out hot air, but this was redeemed by the fact the window could be opened.

Didn't dine in the restaurant as went out both evenings I was staying there which I don't think was a great loss as it was closed for redecoration and a couple of function rooms were in use as a dining area.

Breakfast was acceptable but why do a lot of hotels now serve Tea/Coffee but everything else is self-service. Why can't I help myself to a cup of tea - I am quite capable?

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
GM_HiltonMA, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Manchester Airport, responded to this review, January 16, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and I am sorry that you encountered some "niggles" with your stay.

Yes, we are in the middle of a large refurbishment programme and are working hard to keep disruption to a minimum. The great part about the refurbishment is that our guests will soon have a fantastic new "Mason's Restaurant", an internationally themed eating/meeting venue with a woodfired pizza oven as well. We have also overhauled our lobby area and next are the bedrooms which will bring all our rooms up to our famous Hilton Brand Standard.

I am sorry that you did not wish to be served tea or coffee. It is a service we have always offered but can always bring you a teapot or coffeepot for your own use, just let us know. I believe that is the sentiment that I would like to impress upon our guests and that is that if there is something that you would like but is not "standard", just ask us and we will do our very best to achieve it for you. We do care that your stay is the best is possibly can be and value you, our guest.

I hope that you will be back with us soon to make use of our exciting new facilities and, in the meantime, would assure you of my best attention at all times.

Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
Reviewed January 12, 2012

After two weeks of literally a "holiday from hell" on Gran Canaria in a so called 4 Star hotel, this hotel was what we all needed after we landed at Manchester Airport.

We'd spent 14 days in an advertised 4 Star hotel, that frankly was no more than a shabby 2 Star, and after days of illness, my Wife in hospital, the Hilton was like some kind of magical mirage when we pulled onto the hotels forecourt. The reception staff had already checked my Wife in when I arrived with the luggage and children. She was still ill from our holiday, and I sent her ahead in a taxi rather than her wait as I did for our luggage to appear, which must've been the better part of an hour plus. I was welcomed as an individual, a paying guest, which was a world apart from our Gran Canaria experience, and so so nice.

I arrived in the room, and it was shear delight to see a well appointed and clean place to spend the night. It was what you would expect from a 4 Star hotel, pure and simple. My Wife who was very poorly, and very pregnant requested some extra pillows for her "baby bump", and within minutes they'd brought them to the door. Quick, efficient service... and in the early hours of New Years Day, what more could we ask.

The toiletries in the bathroom were all very nice, and a good selection too. The shower worked fine, and what a pleasure it was to unwind, get clean, and to put my face into towels that didn't smell.

I think if we hadn't have had the hellish experience on Gran Canaria, then this would've simply been a very good 4 Star hotel, the likes of which we've enjoyed before, but the comparisons with the shambolic place we'd come from made it seem so much better in every way.

I want to thank the reception staff who welcomed us, and I offer my highest recommendations to make a stay here should you have a late/early flight.

Just as a footnote, we stayed at the hotel opposite last December, the Park Inn, and the Hilton is leaps and bounds better.

Book, and rest easy, Hilton quality is waiting for you.

Thanks for reading

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank RichClayton
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manchester
Crowne Plaza Manchester Airport
Radisson Blu Hotel, Manchester Airport
Clayton Hotel Manchester Airport
Holiday Inn Express Manchester Airport
Manchester Airport Marriott Hotel
Premier Inn Manchester Airport (M56/J6) Runger Lane North

Been to Hilton Manchester Airport? Share your experiences!