“Pleasant enough but a little tired” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton Manchester Airport

Hilton Manchester Airport
Ranked #58 of 115 Hotels in Manchester
Warrington, United Kingdom
“Pleasant enough but a little tired”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2012

Arrival was smooth and painless with fairly efficient checkin although the receptionist was pulling over people from the queue in a fairly random order but I was dealt with quickly and professionally.
Was provided with a 'Deluxe' room however I'm not sure what this had above and beyond a standard room.
Room was perfectly adequate and clean. As others have noted there is a mess of tangled cables under the desk but that didn't worry me although it looks a little untidy.
Bathroom was a good size and even though the shower felt a little under-powered it was all ok and clean.

Air-conditioning didn't work at all, and even on full cold was blowing out hot air, but this was redeemed by the fact the window could be opened.

Didn't dine in the restaurant as went out both evenings I was staying there which I don't think was a great loss as it was closed for redecoration and a couple of function rooms were in use as a dining area.

Breakfast was acceptable but why do a lot of hotels now serve Tea/Coffee but everything else is self-service. Why can't I help myself to a cup of tea - I am quite capable?

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GM_HiltonMA, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Manchester Airport, responded to this review, January 16, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and I am sorry that you encountered some "niggles" with your stay.

Yes, we are in the middle of a large refurbishment programme and are working hard to keep disruption to a minimum. The great part about the refurbishment is that our guests will soon have a fantastic new "Mason's Restaurant", an internationally themed eating/meeting venue with a woodfired pizza oven as well. We have also overhauled our lobby area and next are the bedrooms which will bring all our rooms up to our famous Hilton Brand Standard.

I am sorry that you did not wish to be served tea or coffee. It is a service we have always offered but can always bring you a teapot or coffeepot for your own use, just let us know. I believe that is the sentiment that I would like to impress upon our guests and that is that if there is something that you would like but is not "standard", just ask us and we will do our very best to achieve it for you. We do care that your stay is the best is possibly can be and value you, our guest.

I hope that you will be back with us soon to make use of our exciting new facilities and, in the meantime, would assure you of my best attention at all times.

Kind regards
Sue Harman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (354)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2012

After two weeks of literally a "holiday from hell" on Gran Canaria in a so called 4 Star hotel, this hotel was what we all needed after we landed at Manchester Airport.

We'd spent 14 days in an advertised 4 Star hotel, that frankly was no more than a shabby 2 Star, and after days of illness, my Wife in hospital, the Hilton was like some kind of magical mirage when we pulled onto the hotels forecourt. The reception staff had already checked my Wife in when I arrived with the luggage and children. She was still ill from our holiday, and I sent her ahead in a taxi rather than her wait as I did for our luggage to appear, which must've been the better part of an hour plus. I was welcomed as an individual, a paying guest, which was a world apart from our Gran Canaria experience, and so so nice.

I arrived in the room, and it was shear delight to see a well appointed and clean place to spend the night. It was what you would expect from a 4 Star hotel, pure and simple. My Wife who was very poorly, and very pregnant requested some extra pillows for her "baby bump", and within minutes they'd brought them to the door. Quick, efficient service... and in the early hours of New Years Day, what more could we ask.

The toiletries in the bathroom were all very nice, and a good selection too. The shower worked fine, and what a pleasure it was to unwind, get clean, and to put my face into towels that didn't smell.

I think if we hadn't have had the hellish experience on Gran Canaria, then this would've simply been a very good 4 Star hotel, the likes of which we've enjoyed before, but the comparisons with the shambolic place we'd come from made it seem so much better in every way.

I want to thank the reception staff who welcomed us, and I offer my highest recommendations to make a stay here should you have a late/early flight.

Just as a footnote, we stayed at the hotel opposite last December, the Park Inn, and the Hilton is leaps and bounds better.

Book, and rest easy, Hilton quality is waiting for you.

Thanks for reading

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank RichClayton
Oswego, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2012

Booked this through the airline as a last stop before my flight back to the USA. It was well worth the money and a great deal. I pre-paid about $108 for the night and had nothing to pay when I got to the hotel. After I returned my car rental, I called the hotel from the hotel courtesy phone in the airport terminal. Within 5-10 minutes a shuttle was there to pick me up with my luggage and the young man couldn't have been more helpful. Check-in was very quick and smooth and I took advantage of the three course dinner offer for only twenty pounds sterling. An appetizer, lamb shank and sticky toffee pud was enough to put anyone to sleep as the portions were generous and I was so full. Room was very clean, modern and bed was very comfy. The shuttle was there first thing in the morning to take me to the airport terminal which is very close by. I will be re-booking this hotel when my husband and I make a trip together, returning to the UK in May 2012. All in all a very relaxing pleasant stay.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank ELIZABETH M
Lancashire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2012

We stayed the night before our holiday and unfortunately we were not impressed with the hotel. The bar area was more like a sports bar, which I did not expect from a Hilton. We have stayed at the Crowne Plaza the night before a holiday and found this much more to our taste.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
GM_HiltonMA, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Manchester Airport, responded to this review, January 17, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write in with your review. I was sorry to read that you felt our bar was more like a Sports Bar, we certainly never intend to turn it into one and can only believe that when you were with us there was an important football game being played? We do have a television in our bar area as we have found that many of our guests do like to watch games that have our local teams playing. .... and what teams we have, City and United!

We are at the moment in the process of completely refurbishing our bar and restaurant area into an exciting and modern themed Mason's Restaurant showcasing a woodburning pizza oven. It will have an international flavour and we are all very excited about the finished article which should be at the end of February.

So I do hope that you will decide to come back and stay with us again. We are also refurbishing our bedrooms starting in the coming week and have worked hard to make our hotel the best in the area and right on the doorstep of the terminals.

Many kind regards
Sue Harman
Scotland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2012

There's a certain standard I've come to expect from Hilton and unfortunately this one at Manchester Airport did not live up to my expectations. The room was slightly tired and the bath really needed replaced or re-enameled...it looked dirty but on inspecting it you realised it was needing work done on it! Room was very warm and AC very noisy which left us with a bit of a dilemma...we went with the hot room. Restaurant over-priced for what you get and service lacking. Hilton breakfasts are something I always look forward to and it was quite disappointing. Considering we got the room for a special deal of £53 (breakfast extra) it was good value for what it was but poor for the Hilton brand.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2012

My husband and myself spent two nights here on December 4th before our flight to Florida...We had a lovely refurbished room that we were very happy with.We had two great dinners in the restaurant,the lamb shank and bubble and squeak mash is to die for,as is the sticky toffee pudding.Also loved the Hilton buffet breakfast both mornings too...We'll definitely stay here again when flying out of Manchester.Many thanks to Sue Harman for her help....it's nice to see that Sue actually reads the reports on here and acts on them.

2 Thank Scotsmomma
Belfast
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2012

Got this hotel for a very good price from holidayextras. Pick-up was quick, check-in smooth. The room was small but had everything needed for 1 night. Very comfy bed. The hotel was offering a 3 course meal for £20 which we thought was very reasonable. Unfortunately, we were unable to partake as we'd been travelling for over 15 hours & we fell asleep as soon as we got into the room. Needless to say we also then woke very early, still being on Maldivian time, so after watching some early morning t.v. we went for breakfast at 6am. There was also a deal on for breakfast, £10 each, & there was a good choice of items. Check-out was also smooth. We had to wait a short while for transfer back to the airport but once on the minibus, it was only a short journey to out terminal. We would stay here again if we could get a good deal again, but not if we had to pay the price this hotel usually goes for.

2 Thank SKIonhols
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manchester
Crowne Plaza Manchester Airport
Clayton Hotel Manchester Airport
Radisson Blu Hotel, Manchester Airport
Holiday Inn Express Manchester Airport
Manchester Airport Marriott Hotel
Premier Inn Manchester Airport (M56/J6) Runger Lane North

Been to Hilton Manchester Airport? Share your experiences!