“Excellent staff and location”

Crowne Plaza Manchester Airport
Ranked #44 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed August 2, 2013

We stayed the night before our flight to the US and got a great deal on dinner bed and breakfast for 3 of us plus 15 days free parking in with the deal. The hotel itself was clean and well maintained. Getting to the terminal couldnt have been easier - a free shuttle bus every 15 mins to the door.

But what made the stay extra special was the staff - whether reception, bar, restaurant or the shuttle bus driver, all went out of their way to be friendly and helpful. Really impressive service.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
birchak, Manager at Crowne Plaza Manchester Airport, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

I was delighted to read that you had a great stay as our aim is to provide a perfect experience for all our guests. I was especially pleased to read you found our team so friendly.

Reviewed July 31, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here from the 6th- 7thJuly as we had an early morning flight. Check in was very quick considering the hotel was very busy. The room was as expected a comfortable bed, clean bathroom and normal facilities (tv, fridge etc). Considering the hotel was very close to the airport there was very little noise which was great! The only two problems we had was the expense of the food which was average. Secondly my boyfriend found the room extremely warm even with the air conditioning on. Overall we would return to the hotel as it was very convenient for the airport.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sarah T

Thank you for choosing to stay at our hotel. I am pleased to read you enjoyed your overall stay and look forward to welcoming you back here in the future.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

We stayed here one night in a room for 3 people before our flight back home to Switzerland. We had been to attend the graduation ceremony of our son at Lancaster University ( First class Honors)!
We were checked in by an efficient but unsmiling receptionist.
The room was at the far extremity of the hotel and a long way to walk. If you do have a mobility problem I would suggest requesting a room close to the reception side of the hotel. The room was large enough to accommodate 3 adults and 6 suitcases! The room itself was very clean and the shower had a good powerful jet. Hot water was also plentiful. The only negative side to the room was that the carpet had become unstuck at the entrance.
We had booked a table at the Sampans Restaurant. The service was friendly and the food was good and plentiful.
My husband and I slept very well but our son, on the sofa bed, found the bed rather uncomfortable.
Breakfast was first class. Good service with a good varied choice of food.
As our flight was not until the late afternoon we decided to leave our luggage at the hotel and visit Manchester. The concierge was friendly and efficient. We took the free shuttle bus to the train station at the airport. Manchester was a wonderful vibrant place that we thoroughly enjoyed. Upon arrival we called the hotel on the free telephone at the train station and we were picked up and taken back to the hotel to pick up our luggage.
The reception was busy but we still only waited about 10 mins to have our luggage returned to us.
The shuttle bus then dropped us off at out terminal. I feel that we had good value for money. All of the staff were efficient but some were rather robotic! Others, like the lady who served us in the Sampans the night before remembered us the next day in the reception area.
We would use this hotel again if we needed to stop over at Manchester airport.

Room Tip: If you have a mobility problem ask for a room near the center of the hotel. The corridors are very l...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
birchak, Manager at Crowne Plaza Manchester Airport, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments onto the TripAdvisor website following your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Manchester Airport. I was delighted to read that you had a great overall stay, and I was especially pleased to read you found our Sampans team friendly. We hope to welcome you back here in the future should an opportunity to return arise

Reviewed July 29, 2013

The front desk staff were very good ensuring the check in process went smoothly. Whilst waiting to check in they dealt with a troublesome guest who was ranting about not be able to pay with someone else's credit card very effectively and ensured no one was inconvenienced. The room we had was very good and we were able to sleep without any interruptions. The breakfast was very good and set us up for out flight to Miami via London, our terminal was Bout 5 minutes away. Will certainly use them again

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

I was pleased that you enjoyed your recent stay and look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel when you are next in the area

Reviewed July 29, 2013

I have used this hotel in the past and not had a problem but this year was completely different.

Stayed an overnight at this hotel after arriving back from holiday and used the car parking for the duration of our holiday.

Check in prior to the holiday was easy enough - the receptionist was efficient but not overly pleasant.

We booked the room so that we could get a couple of hours sleep before driving home after a nightime flight. We checked in on arriving home and it was fantastic. The receptionist (a different one this time) had all the paperwork ready and asked us if we wanted a later check out time since it was by this time nearly 6am. We didn't require it and went straight to bed.

In the morning I noticed that the room was, a bit like myself, tired. That really isn't so much of a problem because it is only for one night but the main problem was the cleanliness of the room. I put something in the bin and found sweets lying around the side of the bin which had obviously been missed by the cleaner - I don't know how because they were right next to the bin!!! There were marks on the glass table in the room which looked as though a tumbler had been placed on the table but not cleaned. The biggest problem for me though was the fact that when I went to take a drink of water one of the tumblers in the room, although they had the seal over them to say that they were clean, actually had half a glass of water in it from the previous guest. Not really the standard I was expecting from this hotel.

My husband went out to pick up a paper and was asked in the corridor by the cleaner when he would be checking out - this was only at 11am and checkout was 12 noon - and could he take down the "Do Not Disturb" sign from the door because he wanted to clean the room. When you're paying £120 to stay in a room for a few hours I think the least you would expect is not to be harrassed in the corridor an hour before check out by a cleaner.

Another thing to watch out for is that if you do not use the card to pay for the room that you booked the room with a hold put on your bank account for several days which means that you cannot actually use your own money until a few days have passed and the money then goes back into your account. This is probably normal but my problem was that not only did they hold on to the room fee but they also added another £50 on to that amount in case I used any of the restaurant or bar facilities. This was not explained at the time I checked in and I was really unhappy about that.

I did bring all this to the attention to the receptionist at the time of checking out but with a slight shrug of her shoulders she asked for my email address and told me she would pass my comments on to the management team. Needless to say I haven't heard a thing from them.

There is so much competition for hotels in the Manchester Airport area that I can guarantee that I will not be using this hotel again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. It is IHG's goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are very important to us. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We’re sorry you received service which was unacceptable and should you wish to discuss this further please do not hesitate to contact Robert Wright our Hotel Manager who will be pleased to assist you. Robert can be contacted at robert.wright@ihg.com

Reviewed July 29, 2013

We did not intend to stay here but thanks to a 24 hr delayed Thomas Cook flight from Manchester to Las Vegas ( cheers Thomas Cook ) , we ended up here for an afternoon and night. Not where we wanted to be but must say the food and the rooms were very good ( courtesy of Thomas Cook, it was the least they could do ) . We even got an early morning alarm call to get everyone back on the coach and off to the airport .... Again. As I said , an unplanned stay but a comfy one .

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your visit to our hotel and I hope you will consider choosing to stay with us in the future should an opportunity arise.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

Once you have managed to find the correct motorway(s) to the airport the Crown Plaza is very easy to locate. We had booked one night with bed breakfast and evening meal plus parking for the duration of our holiday. Reception staff were pleasant and efficient explaining everything including the evening meal options. Having stayed at two Crown Plaza's (Docklands and Singapore) first impressions were that this Crown Plaza was "tired". It is clean but it seemed as if they were expecting only one person, only one packet of biscuits, one dressing gown and no face cloths in the room, also the heating did not work and when housekeeping could not get it to work they had to send up a portable heater. Our evening meal (two courses) was nice and we must mention "Thomas" our server who just made the meal with his sense of humour and cheerfulness. The hotel run a regular shuttle service to (and from) all terminals and on both journeys we waited only minutes for the shuttle. Reception make a point of informing you where the telephones are in the airport and where the pick up point is.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry your stay was not a perfect experience but pleased that the service received from Thomas in the restaurant was a highlight. We hope that you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.