“Drab and grim”

Crowne Plaza Manchester Airport
Ranked #45 of 121 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed February 5, 2013

I'm aircrew so have stayed in many hotels around the world over the years and unfortunately this one was a disappointment. The room and general ambiance is that of a decent business hotel however my biggest complaint is over the ridiculous internet prices - £16 for 24 hours access in your room is a disgrace - I pay less than that for a month at home. By contrast many other hotels frequently offer free wifi to aircrew or are in a BT Openzone hotspot enabling me to keep in touch with the family and access the web for free. Sadly this one has neither facility. I gather there are terminals in the business centre available but frankly after getting up at 4am for work when I get back to my room I want to chill out and relax not sit in the business centre all night trying to skype/email home!

Very disappointing and overpriced food too - burger, paid extra for side salad, rather ungenerous portion of chips, no coleslaw or other niceties and so about £17 for a burger and green salad - who are they trying to kid?? Sadly I have the misfortune to be staying there for another 5 nights again this week - but I will be suggesting an alternative to my company...

If there was a decent pub to eat at within walking distance I would eat there like a shot!

JG

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank joshlg
birchak, Manager at Crowne Plaza Manchester Airport, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2013

Firstly, thank you for the observations you made regarding the inconvenience of the internet provision at our Hotel and the disappointing quality of food. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. With regards to the internet, I can advise that over the last few years we've invested heavily in providing our guests with super high speed, secure internet. Technically, what sets us apart is the amount of bandwidth each hotel enjoys. So, unlike a basic broadband connection, we're able to guarantee excellent speed, not just for a few of our guests, but for hundreds. In addition we offer 24/7 technical support should you require any assistance. To make all this possible we do need to apply a sensible charge for internet use. As a result of guest feedback we are currently reviewing how we meet all our guests expectations on the quality and price of internet. I also want to assure you your comments on the food have been shared with our Head Chef. Once again thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,503)

Reviewed February 3, 2013

We stayed here for 1 night before a flight, stay also included car parking.
When we arrived the reception area was very busy as there had been a flight delay and they were helping other passengers. They were quite quick in getting through everyone. The girl who was dealing with me was lacking in customer service skills and very difficult to understand, i had to ask her for the paperwork for our car.
The room was miles away but nice and clean. Love the little aromatherapy sprays you get at Crowne Plaza hotels.
Food and drinks expensive but we brought our own so we were prepared.
Checkout was quick, transfer to airport good too.
When we arrived back from our holiday, pick up at airport was excellent, and picking up the car was quick and hassle free.
Overall nice stay.

Room Tip: If you book and pay for breakfast when you check in it is cheaper than turning up for breakfast in t...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
birchak, Manager at Crowne Plaza Manchester Airport, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments with TripAdvisor following your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Manchester Airport.
I was delighted to read that you had a great overall stay.

Reviewed February 2, 2013

I recently spent a day at the crown plaza while meeting three suppliers,
It was a pleasant setting, and the staff were very professional and friendly.
In the evening their Asian cuisine proved to be a real treat,
I had a good quiet nights sleep with very little of the airport noise to be heard

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your recent experience at Crowne Plaza Manchester Airport.
I was delighted to read that you had such good interactions with our team and also that you enjoyed your meal in our Sampans oriental restaurant.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Crowne Plaza Manchester Airport in the near future

Reviewed February 1, 2013

we stayed the night before our flight in an executive room which included 15 days parking and gave us access to the business lounge.The room was very nice with all the amenities you would expect.My only complaint was the lack of heating, in fact i only realized later in the evening that the oil heaters i saw dotted around the corridors were in fact there for guest to take to there rooms and use as a back up to warm the rooms up.
There is a major flaw when it comes to getting the complimentary transfer from hotel to terminal,
our experience was what i can only say "FREE FOR ALL", this didn`t bother me to much but i did feel sorry for other users who expected much better.Tip for Crowne Plaza, set up a queuing system inside the lobby instead of everyone congregating around the entrance door with guests who want to smoke, gain entry.

Room Tip: if you have an early flight give yourselves 40 mins to get to terminal
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for sharing your comments. We strive to make sure every guest has a wonderful experience here and greatly appreciate feedback on their experience from valued guests such as yourself.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

We stayed here as we had a very early flight and our rate included car parking for a week for under £100 which was very reasonable. The room was nice and large, clean and perfect for a short stay. However the noise of the air conditioning which you couldn't completely shut off at the in-room control was very loud and kept me awake for a while. The free transfer shuttle to the terminal was very good and frequent and aonly take 2 minutes. The bar was ridiculously expensive but then I suppose you are at the airport so its going to be. We ate at the Asian fusion restaurant in the lobby which was very good and not too expensive for what you got. The hotel picked us up on return from the terminal and the car was ready and waiting at the hotel. The location of our car in their car park hadn't been recorded for some reason but the guy drove me round until we found it rather than just making me search on foot which I thought was good service. Would definitely stay here again when we have an early flight.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback and stay. I am delighted you enjoyed your Park, Stay and Go experience.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

When flying from Manchester airport, I always use this hotel to sleep overnight and leave my car while away. The hotel is spotless, the beds are very comfortable and rooms very well equipped including tea/coffee making facilities, ironing board, hair dryer and large TV. The bathroom has complimentary soap, shampoo, conditioner and body cream. The hotel is in the airport grounds and they provide a free shuttle service and early morning call. The staff have always been very pleasant and helpful. The only negative point would be that the restaurant and bar are quite expensive.

Room Tip: The hotel is quite large and can have a long walk to your room, so anyone with difficulty walking sh...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay. I am so pleased to see you enjoyed your overall experience with us and particularly enjoyed the accommodations.

Reviewed January 30, 2013

Used Crowne Plaza for our overnight stop and car parking in January this year and found the experience to be a good one. We were very comfortable in the well appointed room and enjoyed the meal and drinks in the lounge.
There was a nice complimentary minibus with a friendly driver to take us to the airport which was only a few minutes away and pick us up on return.
On return from holiday we found the our car would not start and the staff sat us down with complimentary coffee and a comfortable seat until help arrived.
Would use them again in future.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the other side of the building to the runway but sound insulation is good so not a...
1  Thank Paul506

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments following your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Manchester Airport.
I was delighted to read you enjoyed your stay and particularly pleased that you found our team to be friendly and helpful.