“A bit of a disappointment”

Crowne Plaza Manchester Airport
Ranked #39 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
London, United Kingdom
“A bit of a disappointment”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

I booked 1 night at this hotel on 6th January. When I arrived at Manchester Airport Terminal 3 at about 21.00 and walked to the hotel courtesy bus stop, I eventually found a sign stating that you had to phone the hotel to request a courtesy bus. This was fine for me but would be a bit of a bummer if you had just arrived in the UK without an operating mobile phone. I phoned the hotel and they didn't reply. I phoned again and after a few minutes, somebody answered and just said 'Can you hold". I did hold and after a few more minutes, an exasperated female eventually came on the line and I requested a courtesy bus. The bus came quite quickly and took me to the hotel. When I arrived at the hotel, I was dismayed to see a lengthy queue for check in with only 2 staff at reception, not what you want to see when you arrive tired late at night. It took about 15mins to get to the desk and when I did eventually check in, it was clear that they had an issue with housekeeping as my room wasn't ready and neither were the rooms of several other guests checking in, judging by the conversations. I eventually got into my room about 45mins after first entering the hotel lobby which is unacceptable especially when arriving late at night. I cannot fault the reception desk staff who were obviously doing the best they could. The hotel lobby itself looked a bit grimy and unwelcoming.
The room was OK but considering it was a Club room, I was disappointed to find the minibar empty and overall, the room and bathroom were quite small. The bed and pillows were comfortable though.
Overall a disappointing experience for what is supposed to be a 4* hotel and, speaking personally, I would try another of the many hotels at the airport before using the Crowne Plaza again

Room Tip: Club room gets you into the Club lounge for breakfast which is worthwile for peace and quiet
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank michael f
birchak, Manager at Crowne Plaza Manchester Airport, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Thank you very much for your feedback and please accept our apologies for the inconveniences you have experienced during your stay. I would like to express my sincerest thanks for the observations you sent regarding your experience as this allows us to review the services we provide and on which we pride ourselves. With regards to the pick up at the airport I regret you were not made aware of the courtesy phones which are located inside each of the airport terminals as well as the railway station for the use of our guests. I have taken note of all your comments and once again thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to leave this review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (465)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Thai first
UK
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Stayed here on the 8th Dec. after arriving back from Gambia as there were no trains back up to Newcastle until early the next morning.Would have stayed at the Radisson Blu but the price was nearly double what I had paid for my outbound stay.After leaving the terminal you just phone up the hotel and they send a free shuttle service to pick you up.Waited about 10 mins for the bus but it was only a 2 min transfer.Our room was on the ground floor just along from reception.Room was very nice with huge bed/flat screen tv/nice bathroom.Both had a good nights sleep even though we were up early the next day.Checked out at 0745 and had a few minutes wait for our shuttle to the train station.This is a very good hotel if you just want a good nights sleep after been up from early in the morning.Would stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and hope you will consider staying with us again when you next travelling from Manchester Airport.
lincoln uk
Reviewed January 7, 2013

we stayed here the night before flying out on holiday we had an excitive room with drinks but to be honest with you did not think it was worth the extra money .you could only have alcoholic drinks between 6-8pm & they gave us a few peanuts & spring rolls .we have stayed in the hilton but this hotel was a poor relation .we were here 21/12/12 .also when it was booked they told me it was on site parking but its not they take your car on a 25mile round trip in the end we took our keys with us so it could not be moved & we had to pay an etrxa £2.00 per day on top of the parking fee so beware .

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
birchak, Manager at Crowne Plaza Manchester Airport, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Thank you for writing your review. I am sorry if you were not advised that your vehicle would be taken off site for the duration of your holiday- this is in the Reservations team information and also is clearly stated on our website. I trust this did not impact on your enjoyment and I hope you will consider staying with us again in the future.
Falkirk District, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Used the car parking/stay package which was good value.
As left hotel at 04.45 didn't have breakfast. However had a drink in the bar, food menu seemed to be mainly fried things with lot of chips on menu. The drinks weren't cheap but that is to be expected from a 4 star hotel.
All the staff we encountered were very friendly and helpful. The drop off/pick up from the airport was efficient with very helpful staff
We asked for a quiet double room which we got on the forth floor. The room was compack in size with just enough room to move around the bed.
The bath room was disappointing, it was small in size the shower hose had been removed from the tap unit with a hole left and a new shower had been placed through the wall over the bath. the grouting/sealer could have done with being replaced also.

Room Tip: The rooms on the higher floors seem a little quieter if you want a good nights sleep before an early...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
birchak, Manager at Crowne Plaza Manchester Airport, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay at our hotel and for taking the time to post your comments onto the TripAdvisor website. I can see you were disappointed with the condition of the bathroom and I have noted your comments and will ensure these are taken into consideration with any future refurbishments that are planned. I will also share your comments regarding your dining experience with the team.
I do hope you will consider staying with us again in the future.
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Being one of only three On site airport hotels, this is my preferred for several reasons, not least that I get Priority Points on my stays. Efficient check in (though not always the case) free WiFi and a reasonable bar (a little overpriced, as it the restaurant). Bed comfy, room clean, bathroom good, no complaints really.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Simon W
Thank you for taking time out of your day to give us your feedback from your recent stay. I am pleased to read favourable comments but would like to have an opportunity in the future to show you how great our hotel really is.
England
Reviewed January 6, 2013

I stayed in this hotel before a 6am flight from T3 and overall had a good experience. There is a complementary shuttle service that will not only drop you off at the airport before your flight, but pick you up from the train station when you arrive! This was a nice touch and I was expecting to have to navigate myself or get a taxi.

The room was nice - clean, spacious, complimentary tea and coffee.... all the standard things you would expect! The quality of sleep was good and cant complain about anything room related.

We ordered room service as it was quite late, and I was not impressed with this at all. However, I have not included that in my overall rating for the hotel as I feel it would not be fair as the rest of the experience was pretty good - I would definitely use them again.

1 Thank Le_SigNagE
birchak, Manager at Crowne Plaza Manchester Airport, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Thank you for your review, and stay. I'm sorry you were not fully satisfied with your Room Service and trust you did raise your concerns with the manager on duty. I am pleased that you enjoyed your overall stay and hope to have the opportunity of serving you again in the future.
Verona, Italy
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We were glad we made our booking through booking.com as we paid £69.00 for a double room for one night. We did not choose breakfast as we thought £15.95 per person was expensive for a breakfast. We noted the room prices on arrival £160.00 for a standard double so felt pleased with our deal. The room was worth the money we paid but had we paid full rack rate we would have expected a little more luxury. Rooms are clean and spacious, bathroom was quite small. Staff at reception very efficient as was the shuttle service to and fro from main airport terminals. We visited o,callaghans pub inside the hotel and paid £17.00 for two drinks and one shot which we think is excessive most places you can buy a standard glass of wine for £5 but £7 at o,callaghans for a small is OTT. Other than this we enjoyed our stay and would recommend it but look out for Internet deals would have been disappointed had we paid full rate.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
I would like to express my sincerest thanks for the observations you sent regarding our Hotel. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your comments. We thank you for having chosen our Hotel.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manchester
Clayton Hotel Manchester Airport
Radisson Blu Hotel, Manchester Airport
Hilton Manchester Airport
Hilton Manchester Airport
#57 of 116 in Manchester
Holiday Inn Express Manchester Airport
Premier Inn Manchester Airport (M56/J6) Runger Lane North
Manchester Airport Marriott Hotel

Been to Crowne Plaza Manchester Airport? Share your experiences!