“Hotel Fine, Parking Package very Poor”

Crowne Plaza Manchester Airport
Ranked #40 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
York, United Kingdom
“Hotel Fine, Parking Package very Poor”
Reviewed November 9, 2012

We booked a Hotel stay and park package for our summer holiday this year. Arrival was fine, park the car somewhere & check in. Reception service was average. Room was very clean, tidy & smart, & beds very good. The meal we had in the bar was over priced as expected but nice food & good service.

When you book in you get handed a form to complete and sign and return with your car keys. At this point you find out about the "Parking Terms & Conditions" which are not mentioned at all when booking through a non Crowne Plaza internet site. They basically amount to park your car at your own risk and we wont accept any liability for anything unless we crash it whilst we are moving it.
I should explain that the parking services are sub-contracted to a company called Holiday Car Care by Crowne Plaza even though the Crowne Plaza logo is on the paperwork & it makes no reference to the service being sub-contracted!! It is however made clear at booking that the car may be moved off-site on a 25 mile round trip.

Anyway, on our return to the overcrowded car park (cars parked on the kerb, on the grass etc) I collected the keys, got told where to find it & as you should, check the car for mileage covered & damage. The car had been scraped on the underneath of the front bumper & dented on the side below the passenger door. It was obvious that this was fresh damage as unlike the rest of the car, there was no mud covering the damaged areas. We reported it to the hotel's Duty Manager who confirmed in writing that he witnessed the damage, and he agreed that he would pass our complaint & his observation of it onto Holiday Car Care which he duly did.
Anyway, to cut a long story short, many emails back and forth, me chasing Holiday Car Care & a copy of their own record of damage to the vehicle, (which did not show this damage), later and I was basically told that as I had noticed the damage it must have been there already. I was accused of trying it on with them and as my car was older it must be dented already anyway.
They then stated that there was no way that they would accept any responsibility for anything - go away.

In conclusion, the Hotel is fine for a stay before or after you fly, their on-site carpark leaves a bit to be desired (poor surfaces, very poor lighting), but it's functional, however don't touch the parking service with a barge pole. I have always tried to find services where your vehicle does not leave the site, I was attracted by a competitive price & have defiantly paid for it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
birchak, Manager at Crowne Plaza Manchester Airport, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay. I am so sorry to you did not enjoy your overall experience with us, It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are very important to us.
We work very closely with our car parking contractors to ensure we deliver a high standard of service together and the vast majority of our guests are happy with this service. I am sorry we were not able to give you the outcome you desired.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (465)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Thai first
Lanark, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 9, 2012 via mobile

Hotel main entrance, reception area and restaurant are decorated in a contemporary fashion. Rooms were pleasant enough with LCD Tv however bathroom was basic at best with mouldy shower curtain and old shower. Food at the restaurant was of a poor standard.

• Stayed November 2012
Thank you for sharing your comments. We strive to make sure every guest has a wonderful experience here and greatly appreciate the feedback if they don't.
I am sorry you were disappointed with the food on this occasion and will ensure to share your feedback with the team.
Guernsey, Channel Islands UK
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Pretty average is about as good a comment as I can male about this hotel. Apart form the fact the room was clean tidy and functional, it was very much on the small side and as usual I have to moan about the fact that you get no free Wifi in these establishments, which is a disgrace for the money you are paying for them !

Room Tip: Upgrade if you want to be able to swing a cat !
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
birchak, Manager at Crowne Plaza Manchester Airport, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Thank you for staying with us. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product and while we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would choose to stay with us again when you are next in the area.
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 5, 2012

A welcoming hotel after a day travelling and arriving in the dark, in the rain and tired. Worth booking into for a good night's sleep and setting off refreshed in the morning. Very good shuttle to airport, staff friendly, rooms comfortable and food good

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback I was delighted to read you enjoyed your stay. It is our aim to create Great Hotels Guests Love and I can see from your comments that we achieved this.
Wrexham, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Very good reception staff very polite knowledgable and very smartly dressed. Bedroom was cold when arriving but soon got porter there to sort it out for us, only problem we had was room service we ordered, starter was missing on tray so had to wait for that, waiter who brought food was polite but dressed in uniform but shirt was untucked at stomach he smelt quite badly and it was very awkward. Breakfast was excellent.

Room Tip: Only down side have toady £16 for Internet for 24 hours and £12.95 parking charge it don't tell...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review of your stay. Clearly you received service that was less-than-satisfactory and I am really sorry for that. We strive to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are therefore very important to us as this enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future.
Penrith, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 3, 2012

We stayed here on a room only deal at the bargain price of £56, just as a stop over before a morning flight. The hotel looks a bit concrete block like on the outside, but as soon as you step through the door it is a breath of fresh air! The room we recieved on the 2nd floor was clean and luxurious. The bathroom equally so. My only niggling points(and believe me these are tiny) would be that I found it odd that there was no main ceiling light, we didn't recieve the aromatherapy pack yet had a card on the bed detialing it (and I was quite intrigued to smell it), also one pillow case was on inside out. But these are just tiny things really, and our overall experience was excellent.

We ate in the restaurant downstairs, the food was all lovely the only problem was we found service a little impatient. We were ordering food before we'd even been asked about drinks, and the waiter had waltzed off without even asking about dessert which made us resent paying the 10% service charge.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 2, 2012

I stayed here in August 2012 before an early morning flight. After a long drive from Glasgow through torrential rain I was thankful to arrive at the hotel.
I had booked a deal which was inclusive of 15 nights parking which only cost £89 which I thought was very good value for money.
After a smooth check-in (where I was given paperwork for my car and passed my keys over) I was directed to my room on the 4th floor. I was pleasantly surprised with the room. It was fairly small however spotlessly clean with the added touch of 'This Works' toiletries, including a relaxing pillow spray and pulse point oil, both to help aid sleep. The bed was large and comfy and the bathroom, although not spectacular, was clean with a decent shower.
I ate dinner in the main hotel restaurant. The food was nice enough (wensleydale salad) and the house red was decent. It was slightly over-priced however this is to be expected in an airport hotel.
I was woken by the arranged wake-up call very early the next morning and was surprised that I had managed to get a good sleep. Despite the hotel's close proximity to the airport I was not disturbed by any aircraft noise even with the window open.
A quick check out (literally just handing the key card to reception) and I was on my way. There was a (free) shuttle bus waiting outside the hotel as I walked out and I was at the airport terminal within minutes.
Upon returning from my holiday I got the shuttle bus back to the hotel to uplift my car. As stated in the booking conditions, in busy periods cars may be moved off site to an airport car park. Mine clearly had as it was parked in a different space and had a few more miles on the clock. This didn't bother me as I expected it to happen and all was in order with my car.
All in all I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again for a short stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
birchak, Manager at Crowne Plaza Manchester Airport, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your recent stay and look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to our hotel in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manchester
Clayton Hotel Manchester Airport
Radisson Blu Hotel, Manchester Airport
Hilton Manchester Airport
Hilton Manchester Airport
#57 of 116 in Manchester
Holiday Inn Express Manchester Airport
Premier Inn Manchester Airport (M56/J6) Runger Lane North
Manchester Airport Marriott Hotel

Been to Crowne Plaza Manchester Airport? Share your experiences!