“Very Good Choice for an Inexpensive, Clean/Basic Room in the Centre of Town”
Review of Gardens Hotel

Gardens Hotel
Ranked #72 of 121 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed April 11, 2010

This hotel seemed to tick all the boxes so I took a chance and booked it even though there were some mixed reviews for it. I was looking for an inexpensive hotel in the centre of Manchester, close to Piccadilly Station. Because I was travelling alone, I also needed the hotel to be close enough to the station so I could walk back to the hotel late at night without feeling uncomfortable. The room was basic but clean, the staff friendly and efficient. All in all it was exactly what I was looking for. My only criticism is that there wasn’t much lighting in the room so it was pretty dark. But I was very happy with my choice and I’d definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,209)

Reviewed March 23, 2010

I was in Manchester on business last week, and was looking for a cheap hotel near Piccadilly. Which was what I found (about 50 GP per night). The Gardens Hotel is O.K. if you're on you're own, and have to pay out of your own pocket. If however I was travelling on an expense account, I would definately choose something else.

It's really central, right in the middle of the city, with easy access to trains, pubs and nightlife. The first night I arrived around midnight, and quickly got to my room on the 1st floor overlooking Piccadilly Gardens. The room itself was quite O.K., but single-glazed windows is not the best bet in a heavily trafficated street. The rest of my stay (four nights) I stayed on the 4th floor facing the back, overlooking an alley, a pub and a 24-hour (!) establishment if you know what I mean. But, quiet and O.K. room with clean sheets/towels, free/fast WIFI , good bed and plenty of hot water.

The place is definately in need of fixing and a good lick of paint. Old bathroom fixtures and panels (not tiled walls), were OK, but not more. But again, covered my needs this time around. I wouldn't stay here with my family though............wife wouldn't approve:)

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed March 19, 2010

It may not be 5 star luxury but what you get at the Gardens is clean, central and comfortable accomodation which is excellent value for money right in the centre of Manchester...I have stayed several times and have always found the staff and level of service to be first class.. they were so understanding when an event we were attending was cancelled due to bad weather and we had to postpone our trip...many other hotels would have said ... not our problem... the gardens were so helpful.

Breakfast is included in very competitive rates and staff are very attentive.

We are planning to stay in the Gardens twice in the next few weeks and would not go anywhere else when In Manchester...If you visit the hotel website it clearly states there are internal rooms without windows as one of the options...fine if you are just looking for somewhere to sleep...if you prepay you can save on the rates as well.

Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 23, 2010

We Changed to this hotel at the last minute and what a great decision.
We were able to leave our luggage early in a luggage room.
We had a twin outside room and our basis was with full cooked English breakfast.
The room was spotless had all we wanted and was well appointed. Staff were very helpful and polite. I was on a special diet which was catered for without any problems.
There was extra pillows and blankets in the wardrobe if needed.
Brilliant location which saved on money.
Our only gripe was the room was lit with 3 bedside lamps which had eco bulbs so not enough light in the room.
It is a good 3 star hotel in a brilliant location, without any frills which we neither wanted nor required. We would be very happy to go back there but would only stay in an outside room.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed February 2, 2010

I have stayed at the Gardens twice - the last time I vowed never again however, as it turns out, it is the cheapest place to stay in Manchester with breakfast included without hiking out into the sticks.

I am pleased to say that since my last visit in 2008, the hotel has improved considerably. In 2008, however, we got an 'internal room' - i.e. a cell with no ventilation and snot on the wall of the bathroom and a hairdryer that did not work. We were moved to an 'external' after the shower got stuck and didn't switch off turning our room into a Turkish bath.

I would always suggest forking out an extra £10 for a room with a window. Even if you think it will not bother you (like I assumed it would not), do it. Human beings need windows in their lives.

This time around our stay was much more pleasant. We had the ominous room 101 on the inside of the atrium so we had a very good view of reception however it was a view at least. The interiors had been given a facelift with bold wallpaper and the bathroom was off-puttingly clad in black glass bricks but my other half insisted that he loved them. Apart from being a bit dark, the room was lovely. Tea/coffee making facilities kept in plentiful supply including biscuits and the bed was comfy and warm.

Check-in and out is streamlined and hassle-free. We arrived separately and I had emailed ahead saying the room was in his name and paid for on his card but I would like to check into the room before he arrived and I recieved a very speedy reply stating that a note had been made and I would have no problem checking-in.

Breakfast is your usual British affair. Nothing glamorous. The breakfast room is casual and full of young people recovering from a night of heavy drinking. I opted for a continental breakfast, nothing spectacular but then tea and toast is a fine way to start the day. My partner indulged in the usual Full English and had no complaints.

The main selling point for the hotel is its fantastic location. Five minutes from Piccadilly Station (perfect for a late arrival after work on a Friday without treking your bag too far) and centrally located for Oxford Road, the city centre and the Northern Quarter. There are great places to eat nearby and even though the hotel is centrally located on one of the busiest streets in the city, it remains relatively quiet.

If you aren't afraid of the odd coffee stain or fatty bacon slice then this hotel is not going to be a probelm for those looking for a city break or a night out. I'd go again!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 31, 2010

Arriving late at night, this hotel is a short stroll from Piccadilly Rail Station. It looks a little seedy, with yobbos outside drinking from cans of beer. But, inside is much better. My room was on the third floor and was cold so they gave me another one nearby which was warm and cosy. Rooms were big and comfy, a little shabby and very dusty but excellent value for £49. The wi-fi internet was free. Nearby you can access China Town for a good and cheap meal. Although the hotel surroundings are a bit shabby, all I could see from my window was the back of a pub and litter strewn lanes, the hotel tries hard and the staff were very helpful.
It worries me that the lift is outside of the reception doors so it might be accessible by non hotel guests.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed January 21, 2010

Stayed in a single room on a xmas get-together.
Plus points are proximity to rail station and friendly staff - e.g.accomodated some of our party with a late breakfast, even though they had no obligation to.
negatives - room was "well worn" although equipped with iron board etc.
Window would not close, this was balanced by v.hot radiators though.

No issues with using this hotel as a pad for a night on the town but i would look for something more modern if taking my partner

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business