“Wonderful Wedding Reception”

Ranked #66 of 118 Hotels in Manchester
Preston
“Wonderful Wedding Reception”
Reviewed June 19, 2014 via mobile

We held our Wedding Reception at Etrop Grange on Sat 14th June and can honestly say it was the best decision ever.
Both our guests and ourselves were looked after with the greatest of thought going into every detail.
The rooms, the welcome, the service, the food, the announcement of the Bride & Groom and the morning after were all 1st class.
A personal thanks to Sharon for being our co-ordinator prior to the Wedding and a massive thankyou to Kristina for your kind personal service and fantastic hospitality throughout our day.
We look forward to returning to Etrop Grange in the not to distant future.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
ManagerEtrop, General Manager at Etrop Grange, responded to this review, July 4, 2014
Dear power140614

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your recent experience with all our Tripadvisor friends.

It is always an honour when a couple choose the Hotel to be the venue for their biggest day, and the team work so hard to ensure all runs smoothly and to relieve as much pressure as possible. Much of their work goes unnoticed my many, so it is even more appreciated when team members are individually highlighted as playing their part – I know Sharon and Kristina are delighted to be recognised.

From all of the team, our very best wishes to you both, and we look forward to being able to welcome you back to Etrop Grange soon.

jodi@etrophotel.co.uk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
  • Polish first
Palma de Mallorca, Spain
Reviewed June 19, 2014

I stayed in Etrop Hotel for two nights at the beginning of May because I wanted to visit Runway Visitor Park at Manchester International Airport and to take a Singapore Airlines flight to Munich. Having arrived without luggage I preferred walking although the hotel provides a shuttle service from/to the airport. It was a nice 10 minute walk, indeed.

The hotel looks old and worn inside. There were carpets everywhere on the floor which looked old and dirty, however. Having booked a single room I got a room in the basement which ment very few daylight and a lot of walking through narrow corridors and stairs. One of the two small lights was not working so the room was really very dark. The ventilator in the bathroom was incredibly noisy, you could not stay there literally more than one minute without getting a headache. So, instead of a bath I could have only a very quick shower. On the other hand, I had perfect sleep those two nights.

And now the best: When I was checking-out the last morning I was correctly charged 10 GBP for the breakfast and given the receipt. But then, two hours later, when I was already sitting in the plane, my credit card was charged by the hotel again - another 86.40 GBP - despite the fact that the booking had been fully prepaid by Hotelclub.com!

I tried to contact the hotel by e-mail, I sent them several e-mails from and to different e-mail adresses to find out why they charged me the money but no one even bothered to answer.

Finally, I contacted Hotelclub.com who were very helpful, answered promptly and after a day or two sent another email saying that the hotel had made an error, they apologized, refunded the money immediately and gave me 10 dollars to their loyalty program. But still, not a word from the hotel.

So, the Etrop Grange hotel may be OK for one night before a morning flight if you expect all this but I wouldn't stay there again. In any case, check your credit card statement after your stay.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank pavelpmi
Dear Pavelpmi

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay here at Etrop Grange.

I believe you have now received an email from the Hotel, and I would be grateful if you could contact me personally to confirm this. The Hotel team are always available should a guest encounter any issues during their stay, and would be more than happy to offer alternatives or assistance once we are aware.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

jodi@etrophotel.co.uk

Travelers are raving about these Manchester hotels

Reviewed June 16, 2014

Unsurprisingly, we stayed here the night before a morning flight from Manchester Airport. For that, it is perfect, barely five minutes from the terminals via an easy link road.

Other than the location, though, there's little I would recommend. The hotel is incredibly dated, with well-worn, tired-looking bedding in our room and decor that looks untouched in the 21st century.

That wouldn't matter if the main things were OK - but they aren't. The free WiFi simply didn't work. Whether that was because our room was on the lower ground floor, or because too many people were logged on is largely irrelevant - it's a service they advertise but did not deliver on.

The walls of our room were so paper-thin that we could hear next door's 11pm phone call word for word, as if there wasn't a wall at all. He wasn't shouting, the hotel is that cramped and dated that there is no sound-proofing. Want privacy? Go elsewhere.

We were next to some sort of ramp leading to the bar, meaning that a) We couldn't have the curtains open as there is no netting at all, and b) The 0630 removal of kegs rolling and rattling down the path made sleep impossible.

Lastly, the bar prices are ridiculous. More like swanky London wine bar than wretched Manchester hotel. £3.20 for a pint of coke. Really?

In all, if you get an online deal and are flying early in the morning it is probably worth it. If you're looking for anything else, go elsewhere. This place is really, really poor.

Room Tip: Pick a different hotel.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank K W
Dear K W

I would be grateful if you could find the time to contact me directly so I may learn more about your stay and the issues encountered. Unfortunately, I am unable to discern anything from you screen name that may allude to your stay here at Etrop Grange.

The hotel team are always available should a guest encounter any issues during their stay, and would be more than happy to offer alternatives or assistance once we are aware. So far as I know, since our new Wi-fi system was updated in March, we have only received positive feedback and I have had no reports of it not working until I read your comments. Our Beverage deliveries are every Wednesday afternoons, so I am unsure as to the source of the disturbance at present.

The hotel has now started its refurbishment starting with 10 fully refurbished Club rooms which will carry a supplement as there are a lot of enhanced features including an array of extra luxuries including bottled water and fruit, bathrobes and slippers, your personal Nespresso coffee machine and a daily newspaper. The next phases include full refurbishment of 3 further rooms, our 3 suites, upgrading the ground floor customer areas (bar, restaurant etc), new beds & bedding in all guest bedrooms and general maintenance work in the remaining bedrooms not having a full refurbishment at this stage.

We are always reviewing our pricing structures based on feedback received, though we do feel for the quality of produce and service offered, these are appropriate.

I do hope despite your leaving with a negative experience, you would consider returning and allowing us the challenge of redeeming ourselves to earn a place in your heart as we have many other guests before. We are eager to learn from our mistakes, and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Wirral
Reviewed June 16, 2014

We stayed at Etrop Grange the night before we set off on holiday, as we had an early flight the next morning. For the price, which included car parking for the week, we were very pleasantly surprised. Friendly reception staff and a very efficient and friendly Hotel Porter, called Peter, who could not do enough for us. He showed us to our room, which was excellent - roomy and with far more character than the modern hotels. Our air conditioning did not work and, again, Peter came out to look at it promptly. Unfortunately, he couldn't fix it, but we were OK with the windows open, so not too much bother. Peter was on duty the next morning and took us to the airport. He really was a credit to the hotel - cheerful, friendly and efficient. He certainly made our stay all the better. Would definitely stay at Etrop Grange again before going on holiday. Excellent.

Room Tip: Ground floor at side was very quiet.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Dear cuterosie

Thank you so much for such a wonderful review. It is always pleasing to know we have succeeded in making a guest’s stay a great experience, and it is that much sweeter when a member of the team has impressed so much they receive a personal commendation – I will be sure to show your comments to Peter, as he does work so hard to help all his customers feel welcomed.

We all hope we can look forward to seeing you return here to Etrop Grange in the near future – until that time, all our very best.

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 16, 2014

We stayed here the night before we flew out of Manchester and from start to finish it was an enjoyable experience, I have previousley stayed at The Crowne Plaza which was very busy, noisy and rushed, our stay the The Etrop was nothing like that, it was very sedate the staff were very friendly and pleasant from check in to check out, our room was as I expected and for me there was nothing wrong with it, we had a good nights sleep and woke up feeling re-freshed, the shower was powerful and hot so again no problems there, we ate in the Bar and the food was a good standard we also had breakfast there and again this was lovely and the staff were lovely. I would have no hesitation in using The Etrop again compared to The Crowne Plaza it was very relaxed and got our holiday off to a good start.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Dear suecave

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay here at Etrop Grange. It was such a pleasure to read how much you enjoyed your stay, and I know the team and I would be delighted to welcome you back should you ever have the opportunity – and perhaps earn the 5th star rating should we learn what could do to improve your stay further.

Lytham St Annes
Reviewed June 16, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here before flying out from Manchester airport for our honeymoon, the staff were really friendly and upgraded our room to a suite which was lovely! There's a shuttle to the airport which is very close, good value for money and great location for pre holiday stopover!

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear happyholiday0

I am delighted to learn you chose our Hotel as the start of your honeymoon, and that the team have been able to offer some little surprises to make your stay extra special. Should you ever have occasion to return, we would be happy to ensure that stay was equally as memorable. Please let me know if I can ever be of assistance with any future booking.

From the team and I, all our very best and heartiest congratulations to you both.

Brigg, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

I can't make up my mind on this place, the staff are friendly enough but some of the rooms are tiny. The food is OK, the bar is a bit cramped if you just want a beer and chill out. I will probably use again, but will ask for a decent room next time.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear Paul C

Thank you for taking the time to review the Hotel. I would be grateful if you could contact me directly or on your next visit speak to a member of the management team so that we may learn how to improve your stays with us on a consistent basis. Whilst some of our rooms are true to the original layout when built, we do have larger upgraded rooms available for a small supplement – please enquire with the team when booking. With our Lounge, Bar and Restaurant areas (and on our fine Manchester sunny days, the outside patio) I am sure there is always another option should you feel the bar a little cramped, please feel free to explore and find an area of tranquillity for yourself.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Etrop Grange soon.