“Distinctly average room”
Review of Etrop Grange

Etrop Grange
Ranked #68 of 119 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed June 4, 2014

I stayed at the Etrop Grange for one night. I was allocated a room at the top of the hotel on the second floor. There is no lift, but the very helpful reception manager offered to get help to carry my case. The stairs were a bit creaky, and on reaching the second floor, there was an abandoned half-empty wine glass in the corridor, which was still there when I checked out the following day.

My room was small, with no air-conditioning, and had an oil-filled radiator for heating. The bed was probably an antique bed frame, but the mattress was supported by 3 large pieces of wood that had been added to the frame and consequently it was quite high off the ground. The worst thing about the room was the creakiness of the floor. I apologise to the resident in the room below, but every step I took around the bed (and the room wasn't that big), the floor creaked loudly and there was definite movement in the floor. The bathroom was tiled, but you could also make the floor creak in there with a hard tread.

To me, it felt like I was staying at my maiden Aunt's house in tired, old-fashioned decor, and I wasn't impressed by the cleanliness either. Under the desk there was a dried leaf (autumn finished about 7 months ago), the bed frame had visible dust on it and the bathroom had a sanitary towel wrapper on the floor by the sink. The window frame (no double glazing, but noise from the airport didn't seem to get as far as the hotel) was in dire need of a coat of paint as the paint was peeling.

I didn't sample the food, so can give no comment on that. It didn't feel like a 4 star hotel and I wouldn't stay there again if I had a choice. However, I cannot fault the friendliness of the staff and their willingness to help.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Ralph W
ManagerEtrop, General Manager at Etrop Grange, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2014

Dear Ralph W

I would be delighted if you could take the time to contact me directly so that I may learn more about your stay. Although you do praise the team and their efforts to make you comfortable, I was very disappointed to learn about the lack of cleanliness and would like to re-assure yourself and our Tripadvisor friends we are currently investing in a refurbishment throughout the building - this will remedy any tired décor and peeling paintwork, but does not excuse any lapse in standards for dirty facilities.

With our AA Rosette Restaurant showcasing a new, exciting menu and the ongoing refurbishment plan, I truly believe it would be a shame should you decide not to return - I know all the team and I would welcome the challenge of reaffirming our place in your heart and become your number one choice when in Manchester.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

There are newer reviews for Etrop Grange

Reviewed June 4, 2014

We stayed here overnight in March this year having just returned from a holiday in Mexico; the price we paid also included two weeks parking and breakfast. Sometimes it's difficult arranging to stay in a hotel on the return journey - especially if it's 7am rather than the early hours - but the staff were really friendly and helpful and placed us in a room where we had minimal disturbance and we managed to sleep for a restful few hours before embarking on the 3 hour drive home. The room was comfortable and clean - we had a giggle trying to get into bed though as it was incredibly high :) We would definitely recommend Etrop Grange; it's as close as the other airport hotels but is an independent venture rather than one of the many chain offerings.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SusieB2010

Dear SusieB2010

I was delighted to know that you will be happy to recommend us, there is no better marketing than by a happy customer. Whilst being minutes away from Manchester Airport, we are not under the flight-path so there is little to disturb weary guests at any time of day or night. We do try to make every effort to ensure a guest is comfortable, and we would be delighted to accept this challenge once again next time we welcome you to Etrop Grange.

Reviewed June 2, 2014

I used hotwire.com for a hotel at manchester airport in May, you don,t know where it is till you book but are guaranteed within 0.5km of manchester airport. I normally stay at the Bewley but this year they had put there prices up by 40.00 pounds for the night.
I didn't know the Etrop but had a very pleasant stay, close to jetparks 2 and minutes from the airport.
Rooms very comfortable and clean, everything we needed was there including wi-fi and coffee and tea in the rooms.
Booked for breakfast the next morning, everything went very well and the courtesy car to the airport was waiting soon as we had finished. we will book direct with them next time.

Room Tip: We were on the 2nd floor and both rooms were very good.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family

Dear KazTenerife

What a fantastic review! Thank you for sharing your experience with all our readers, it's always great for the team and I to know our guests have enjoyed their time with us. I trust we can all look forward to welcoming you back to Etrop Grange soon. Until then, best wishes to you all.

Reviewed June 1, 2014

My fiancée and I booked our stay here via Thomson and stayed the night before our flight to Cancun.

The staff are a credit to this hotel. They were very polite and attentive and even helped me fix my suitcase at 5.30am when the seams had burst!

We had a meal during our stay which we really liked. There was plenty of choice and the food was fresh and well presented.

The room we stayed in was large and bright and had a good sized bathroom. We were provided with toiletries, refreshments, iron, hair dryer etc.

Our airport transfer only took 5-10 minutes and when arrived back after our holiday the staff had brought our car to the airport for us which was great as we had to travel back to Dundee, Scotland so saved us a lot of time.

I would definitely return to the Etrop Grange if I'm travelling from Manchester airport again :)

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Sunshine-lw

Dear Sunshine-lw

Since your last visit back in November, our exciting refurbishment has commenced - it's been too long, so the team and I are now hoping we can look forward to seeing you return to Etrop Grange in the near future! We have revamped our sumptuous menus, and are always looking at further ways to improve our offerings to keep the Hotel at the forefront of Manchester's best Accommodations.

Reviewed May 31, 2014

A pleasant hotel, but not of the same standard as other 4 star hotels I have stayed in. The food was average and the service in the restaurant could have been quicker. It was 20 minutes after we were sat down that our order was taken and we were asked if about drinks, it was another 10 minutes before the jug of water arrived. The room was tired looking, and the shower screen did not have a strip at the bottom, meaning that when we had a shower the water went onto the toilet and the floor. In their defence though, there were workmen stopping at the hotel who appeared to be carrying out renovations.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Ian P

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. I would be grateful if you could contact me directly so I may learn ore about your stay. You rightly mention we are undergoing a refurbishment plan, but if there is any action we can take to minimise inconveniences for our guests (such as replacing the shower screen seals), this is important feedback that we can action in the meantime. I was also disappointed about your experience whilst dining, and would like to learn more about where we let ourselves down.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed May 30, 2014

Stayed for 1night, room 28. Main room light didn't work just flickered on and off. Light in cupboard didn't work but managed to get it going myself. Room was dirty, empty coffee sachets on floor. Bathroom dated with black stains in bathroom, and noisy cistern which took ages to fill. Very sad return as I have stayed here 3times before a few years ago and never experienced any problems. Sadly I will not be returning again. Positive points are the wonderful staff, especially reception and the resturant.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 504mark
ManagerEtrop, General Manager at Etrop Grange, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2014

Dear 504mark

I really do believe it would be such a shame if you chose not to return to Etrop Grange in the future. Please accept my sincere apologies for the issues encountered with your bedroom on this visit - and be assured that by highlighting exactly what has gone wrong, the team and I will be taking appropriate corrective action to ensure future guests are not disappointed.

Our soft-refurbishment is now well under-way, and defects such as those you have mentioned are on our list to remedy along with a general improvement throughout the Hotel. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly should you ever have occasion to come back to Manchester, I know the team and I would love the challenge to rebuild your faith with us.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

We were invited to a wedding here on a Sunday and decided to book a room. We were allocated room17 in the stable block, it was quite small and a bit shabby, the old round window wouldn't close properly because of all the filler at the bottom and wasn't double glazed so there was quite a bit of aircraft noise. The room was also over the disco but as we were wedding guests this wasn't much of an issue until we went toned at 12 and the d.j. finished at 1 .am. As is often the case with these small hotels there isn't a lot of space for so many guests, the bar was cramped with one person serving most of the time and they ran out of Guinness and bitter, very unfortunate for some of the Irish guests!
However the food was very good and was well served and hot. The staff were good and worked very hard. Again at breakfast they struggled with room and we ate at a tiny table in the bar. We mentioned the state of the room when checking out and were told there was a big refurbishment about to start. I hope it works because this could be an excellent hotel.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Nigel T

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with all our Tripadvisor friends. Of course, I am disappointed to learn about the issues you encountered during your time at the Hotel but I am grateful for the constructive feedback you have provided.

Please be assured that I will be sharing this with the Department Heads and the teams, in order to provide a better quality of product and service. We are constantly monitoring our staffing levels and although (as can happen on occasion) we may run short of popular products, we do offer several alternatives for our guests to enjoy in those circumstances.

Our refurbishment is indeed well under-way, with the first section of rooms due to return for sale very soon; along with our exciting new food and beverage menu, I am confident should you ever have occasion to return to Etrop Grange you will not leave with a tinge of disappointment again.