“not helpful over their mistake”
Review of Etrop Grange

Etrop Grange
Ranked #67 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed October 16, 2013

My friend and I arrived late on Saturday 28th September for and overnight stay before an early flight on the 29th September. I had booked a twin room back in July and when we arrived were taken to our room with a double bed and no sign of a single bed.
I went back to reception to ask why this had happened. They had got a large wedding reception going on and apparently the 4 twin rooms they have had been allotted to the wedding guests.
So the next best thing was to put a camp bed in a bigger double room. NOT ACCEPTABLE ETROP GRANGE. This room also has a huge spiders web with resident spiders.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
CPacker, Front Office Manager at Etrop Grange, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2013

Dear sue2905.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience during your stay at the Etrop Grange.

I am aware of the issues mentioned, and that the Duty Manager did speak with you and offer assistance at the time. Once again, we would both like to extend our apologies to yourself and your friend regarding the mistake made on your booking.

The room type booked into our Hotel System was incorrectly as a double, and this was missed when completing several arrivals/confirmation checks prior to your stay.

Unfortunately, as you have correctly mentioned, on the night of your stay a wedding was being held at the Hotel, and the only 4 twins we have were indeed occupied - all of our 64 bedrooms had been sold for the night. As soon as we were aware of the issue regarding the room type, we took steps to try to offer a compromise solution. We agree that it is not acceptable, but at the time had no other option available to us.

Guest satisfaction is paramount to all at the Etrop Grange Hotel, but it is clear on this occasion we have not lived up to your or our expectations. I understand should you decide not to return, but if we ever have the opportunity to change your opinion, please contact me directly and I would be happy to ensure you have a memorable stay for the right reasons.

There are newer reviews for Etrop Grange

Reviewed October 16, 2013

We booked this hotel for the first night of our honeymoon as we had an early flight. I expected to be quite impressed and deliberately didn't choose a larger chain hotel as it was a special occasion. The rooms were ok, a little tired, especially the bathroom, but fairly quiet. The bed was tiny so didn't have the best nights sleep. We ate in the restaurant, which again was ok, we paid extra in the end to extend the menu. Transport to the airport was good, but we were given no instructions for our return. As they had taken all our flight details we assumed they would be there to collect us. After about 15 minutes we rang the hotel and were told they would send a taxi, this we were assured would be with us in 5-10 minutes but we had to make our way to departures and wait outside. After 20 minutes waiting in the cold after midnight, we contacted the hotel again. We were told they were on their way and to ring back if they hadn't arrived within 10 minutes. Luckily it did arrive but by this time we had, had quite a wait. There was a mix up at the hotel on arriving back in collecting the car. Partly our fault as the booking was under my maiden name and my husband filled out the car form with his name on. So there was a bit of a panic and the night manager didn't know if our car was there or not, we actually trawled the car park to look for it. Eventually sorted it out. The night manager though was friendly and professional at all times, if a bit flustered. Overall we probably wouldn't stay again due to the bad pick up on return and the hotel not quite living up to (maybe our too high) expectations.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
FOHEtrop, Front Office Manager at Etrop Grange, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2013

Dear Sara S

Please accept my apologies for the issues you encountered during your stay and return to the Etrop Grange. All the team try their best to ensure a faultless night and smooth transfers to and from the Airport, so we are always disappointed to hear when we have let our customers down.

I have taken on-board your comments about the transfer service, and will be discussing this further with the team. I am sorry this was not provided at the time of check-in, and for the delay in the hired taxi reaching you at the airport.

I am happy to confirm a soft-refurbishment is in final planning stages which will keep the Etrop Grange as one of Manchester's best accommodations. Unfortunately, from your screen name, I am unable to investigate the specific room you mentioned as being tired to see if we can do anything to freshen up the appearance.

Thank you for taking the time to post a review, and I sincerely hope we will be able to welcome you back at some point in the future and show just what the Etrop Grange and staff are truly all about.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

My recent stay at this hotel was delightful. The staff were very helpful and the room although old was clean and well looked after. The food for breakfast was simple but nourishing. Check-in and checkout were both seamless and I would definitely stay here again. The room had a good soundproofing to keep out the noise of the takeoffs from the nearby airport.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
CPacker, Front Office Manager at Etrop Grange, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2013

Dear Zappafan 5797.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Etrop Grange Hotel.

I am delighted to learn you enjoyed your stay recently. The team do work hard to create a warm and inviting environment for everybody. I am pleased to confirm a soft-refurbishment of the Hotel is in the final stages of planning with the intention of keeping the Etrop Grange at the forefront of Manchester's best Hotels.

We would be delighted if you were to return in the future, and we may earn that elusive 5th star on your next visit.

Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

Me and my wife stayed here and parked for our vacation to Cuba in oct the check in was fast the staff very helpful and the room comfortable enough. Try run a free bus to the airport for you and once you return the phone them they pick you up put your car ready at the front of hotel and the bus driver has your keys so you just load up and go. Excellent would recommend and will Definatly use again if we fly from Manchester

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Fudgy1985

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience in a review here on Tripadvisor.

All the team at the Etrop Grange Hotel work hard to ensure our guest's holidays begin with a good night's sleep and a smooth handover process for their vehicles, so its always good to hear when this has been noticed and highlighted by our customers.

We will certainly look forward to seeing you again in the future should you return.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

stayed here october had a room with faulty heating staff attempted to rectify but it was obvious that they knew it wasnt fixable it took 3 complaints about this and a request for an alternative room to be moved .....so another room is allocated pleasant enough but appears to be the noisy est place could have put me above the boiler room or something ......so u complain and they dont like it .Andrew the desk clerk needs more training he was surly and unhelpful. unlike the night clerk a very helpful man .wont be visiting this place again.
dirty stained bedcover in first room second was cleaner .

Room Tip: dont have room 10 faulty heating
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
CPacker, Front Office Manager at Etrop Grange, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2013

Dear judith j

Please accept my apologies regarding the shortfalls experienced during your stay at the Etrop Grange. As you have highlighted the particular room in question, I have been able to investigate the issue you have mentioned following this review.
Our maintenance team may have already paid a visit to Room 10 after your comments to my team were logged, as I have today ensured both the wall heater and the Climate Control A/C unit are in working order. I am sorry if this was not the case whilst you occupied the room.

I am sorry if my colleague was unhelpful - I have to admit, this is the first time Andrew has had a negative comment in my time working with him, but my whole team will reflect on what you have said and learn from this to provide a better service for all our customers.

I can confirm plans for a soft-refurbishment of the Hotel are underway which will keep the property as one of Manchester's best accommodations. Should you find yourself in the area again, I truly hope you will reconsider your position and give the team and I the opportunity to really show what we - and the Etrop Grange Hotel itself- is all about.

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Kindest regards

Reviewed October 8, 2013

Stayed here the night before my flight ,hotel staff were great and very helpful we had a early flight we were transferred we no probs and we were picked up with in 5 minutes of phoning them on return ,the car was well looked after when we were gone we will use this hotel again

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
CPacker, Front Office Manager at Etrop Grange, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

Dear barlow307

I was pleased to hear that everything ran smoothly for your stay with the Etrop Grange. We all try our very best to ensure a stress-free start and end to our guest's holidays, so thank you for taking the time to recognise this in your review.

The team and I all hope we will see you again soon at the Etrop Grange Hotel.

Reviewed October 5, 2013

This Hotel is ideally located to Manchester International Airport; they provide Courtesy Transport to the Airport Terminals. We have used this Hotel at least 5 times checking in the evening B4 our flight. This prevents the stressful early morning rushing around checking on the last minute things to do B4 going on holiday and worrying about if the Taxi is going to get caught up in the morning traffic jams with the possibility of missing the flight. The rooms are a good size and all En-suite and they also have a good restaurant.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
CPacker, Front Office Manager at Etrop Grange, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2013

Dear Tony M

Being a recent visitor to the Etrop Grange, you have highlighted everything that the Hotel team pride themselves on. It's always nice to receive compliments from our guests, and I am pleased we keep impressing you enough to return the next time. Long may that continue. Being only minutes away from all 3 terminals at Manchester International Airport gives us an advantage over many with our shuttle service, yet our peaceful location also ensures a great night's sleep before any flight.

We look forward to your next visit to see us at the Etrop.