“Thoroughly lovely!”

Etrop Grange
Ranked #66 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
“Thoroughly lovely!”
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Stayed here the night before a flight the next day. Lovely hotel and exceptionally helpful staff. I really enjoyed my meal in their restaurant, and the staff took excellent care of me...a rarity sometimes for a woman travelling alone. Highly recommend it!!!

Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
  • Polish first
north wales
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Stayed one very wet manchester evening last week as i was meeting family from the airport early next morning and i live a distance away.
I booked a single room which was on the top floor in the old attics or servants quarters.
The room felt like it had been empty for a while but i boosted the radiator up and settled in for the night.
I then looked at the room service menu which read very well along with a good wine list which had many wines by the glass ideal for a single person like me.I went to order my dinner but there was no phone in the room which was very annoying as i had undresed ! So i redressed and went down the stairs to reception to order and tell them there was no phone or wastepaper bin in the room,they didnt seem particularly bothered to give me one.
The room service dinner was fantastic ,just like dinner in the restaurant,piping hot and very nicely presented.Chicken and Ham hock Pie with crushed swede and potatoes,followed by 3 cheeses with chutney ,celery and grapes and homemade savory bread. I could not fault anything,the glass of wine was also good and well priced.
Next thing was i couldnt ring for the tray collection so i had to shuffle out of the room in dressing gown and put tray on tiny landing without getting locked out !I then rang reception on my mobile to collect which they did promptly!
Did feel a bit vunerable without phone as the fire alarm went off very briefly in the night and i felt isolated .
The room and bathroom was cosy but behind the curtains and radiator there was a alot of long term cobwebs and dust.
I could have parked my car for 7 days in the price which i thought was good value.
I would definately stay again at Etrop,i have stayed a few times over the years but the food was exceptional this visit and the staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 22, 2012

From start to finish every member of staff at Etrop made our wedding day (4th August) perfect. Everyone went out of their way to make things run as smoothly as possible, making myself and my husband very relaxed! All of our guest complemented the service we all received, especially the food, which was amazing. I would definitely recommend Etrop as a wedding venue and I am sure that myself and my friends and family will be visiting again very soon. Thank you!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
UK
Reviewed October 21, 2012

We booked a park and stay package prior to our Mexico flight. We were looking forward to our stay as we prefer this style/type of hotel over the typical modern and sterilised looking airport hotels.

The Etrop Grange hotel was easy to find and the transfer to the terminal quick and efficient. It was a nice suprise to discover that we had purchased courier park and after the long flight back to the UK our vehicle was brought to us outside of the terminal building to enable us to get away quickly. The decor was nice. Unfortunately for us that was where the good ended.

On arrival there was a good deal of confusion as the hotel receptionist had accidentally booked another couple into our room & under our name. As a result we were provided with an alternative room & for the duration of our stay (including dinner and any billing) we were addressed as Mr & Mrs Dixon. Not a good start IMO.

Our room was located on the end of a corridor and we found that the lighting as you enter the room was very poor. This was made worse as the room key fob fits into a wall mounted socket/switch to faciliate the turning on of the electicity supply (and in the dark we found it it was difficult to locate and led to a lot of irritated fumbling to get the fob into the slot!).
Our room was clean, though the bathroom a little dated. The bathroom extractor fan was very very noisy and as a result my significant other turned it off at the isolator switch.

Acknowleging that the hotel is a georgian townhouse and difficult to do much about, it is worth noting that the corridors at the hotel are narrow and the levels change frequently via steps/staicases. This is a real pain when navigating them with heavy suitcases and bags.

We found that we didnt sleep particularly well as the room was hot and the walls were thin. We were disturbed by foot fall above us and from the corridor for most of the night and heard our neighbours very clearly at 4am (as they presumably were leaving for their flight). There was no airplain noise though which was a relief.

All in all we do not feel this hotel met our needs and we will be looking for somewhere to stay else next time!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Manchester hotels

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Absolutely fantastic service from start to finish. The room was standard but immaculate - shower good. The dinner however pushes this review into excellent. Wow! Beautifully presented and excellent staff service from Carlitos and colleagues. We'll be back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Berlin, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 16, 2012

With a 9:30 AM flight out of MAN, we were looking for a hotel close to the airport but which still had charm and hospitality. The Etrop Grange had plenty of both. The room was lovely, just big enough given the short stay. The dinner really made the experience though. Eating in the lounge, the two individuals on staff that evening, Ben & Martin, really went out of their way to make sure our last night of vacation was relaxing, romantic and memorable. Mission accomplished gentlemen. I would give this hotel my highest recommendation to fellow travelers who have an early flight out of MAN and want a relaxing & charming last evening in the UK.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jwbfromMA
Birmingham UK
Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

We've stayed at the hotel once before many years ago. The rooms are small but comfortable, there is a little noise but nothing that kepted me awake. The bathroom is fair but the power shower is just what I needed in the morning. The bar is good very good friendly service, I had the burger meal which cost £12 and I can't say it's value for me money that's the only downside. Overall is a decent airport hotel £60 a night I can't complain

• Stayed October 2012