“Best airport hotel ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Etrop Grange

Etrop Grange
Ranked #67 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Best airport hotel ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 29, 2008

I have stayed at a number of airport hotels being a keen traveller and nowhere, but nowhere, that I've stayed has ever been as good as this. From the porter opening the door of my taxi and speedy yet friendly check-in and being shown to my room, it's clear that the service ethic is very high. Yes the floor was a bit creaky and yes I'm sure that the 'olde worlde' ambiance isn't to everyone's taste but it was certainly to mine. The restaurant too with its AA rosettes...I couldn't have asked for better. If I'm ever in the area again I will most certainly go back.

• Liked — Clean rooms and friendly staff
  • Disliked — The curtains didn't quite close properly (reminds me why I always travel with a sleepmask)
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Polish first
london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2008

Due to the nature of my profession, I regularly use hotel facilities to accomodate training courses.

Upon arrival I was greeted in the car park and my luggage was taken to reception whilst checking in and then to my room. I had a comprehensive explaination of room & hotel amenites.
The room was clean & compact but well appointed with a homely feel.

The room service menu was varied and enticing. Telephone service was polite & friendly with prompt delivery.

The conference facilities were spacious and well equiped with an attentive conference manager.

Stayed February 2008
stockport
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2008

We stayed here VERY VERY last minute on the 21st Dec 2007 on our way to New York. We booked with Peter at about 10pm, a true gentleman who said he would accommodate our family of four in one room and save us the cost of an extra room (which was £99). When we arrived at midnight our room was ready and waiting and I must say what a surprise. It was huge, a bedroom with a lounge which was very clean and perfect for a 1 night stopover. The 2 gentleman on reception were very polite, very helpful and nothing was too much trouble for them.We didn't eat here so I can't comment on the food.Although I have heard that it is very good especially for lunch.
Overall, my honest opinion is that yes the rooms are in need of updating etc but the staff make up for that over and over again. The location is perfect and the price is excellent value for money and thanks to the Radisson , for over booking theirselves and not being
able to acommodate us ,we had the pleasure of experiencing Etrop Grange, and won't even bother looking elsewhere on our next trip.
I would like to add, that there was just one female member of staff on reception on the saturday morning ,who could possibly spoil the reputation this establishment is trying to maintain. Maybe it was just an "off " day for her but we found her abrupt and miserable manner, slightly out of place here, but wouldn't let it put us off returning!!

• Liked — good value
  • Disliked — female member of staff on reception
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Etrop Grange Manchester Aiport several weeks ago. Normally we would just stay at the Radisson on site, but it was full. The Etrop Grange is beautifully decorated like an English Manor house. Definitely not your run of the mill Airport Hotel. We booked late at night at the last minute. The staff provided complimentary shuttle service to the hotel and treated us wonderfully upon check in. The room they gave us was absolutely delightful! I found the price reasonable. Of course the British pound is very expensive for Americans, but they charged us 99 Pounds. The Radisson was twice that!. We had breakfast in a beautiful room the next morning - complimentary. Overall a great hotel and would go back anytime I am in the area.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DASVirginia
yorkshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2008

We regularly use this hotel because of its proximity to Manchester airport and we have always been satisfied with both the hotel service and standard of the rooms. The rooms do vary in size but all the ones I have had are comfortable.
The downside is that because of the number of stairs the rooms are not easily accessible but a member of staff has always been available to help with luggage
The transfer to the terminal is good and the last time we returned and rang to be picked up the shuttle was at the pick up point before us.
The food is good - not cheap but good quality and on a par for price with other airport hotels.
I would recommend the hotel as a good stopover for holiday flights.

• Liked — Locality
  • Disliked — Stairs
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank namagas
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2007

Hard to believe that places like this exist. The hotel has taken the time to create a website to lure good intentioned travellers to stay with promises of exec rooms and comfort when in fact it's a run down shabby place with unhelpful staff and a general feeling of grubbiness. Don't go there!

• Liked — Departing
  • Disliked — bed, bathroom, everything in state of disrepair, miserable staff
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank WindyTicker
tequilacheshire, manager at Etrop Grange, responded to this review, June 5, 2008
Thank you for your comments, but just to let you know we have been under going bedroom refurbishment since Jannuary.
The bedrooms are lovely, come back and see us soon.
South Wales
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2007

Chose this hotel because of it's proximity to the Airport and 'free' parking. Can't fault this aspect - it is literally a couple of minutes away and the transfer was faultless.
Having looked at the hotel details on their website we were concerned that the restaurant was a little formal for our tastes so I phoned the hotel to check that they did bar snacks - I was assured that they did but what a price - extortionately expensive food & drinks. Unfortunately there is nowhere else close serving food either so we were lumbered with it!
The room was shabby to say the least with stained carpets and general grubbiness. The bathroom was a disgrace.
Use it for convenience but prepare for high prices and shabby rooms.
I also left a feedback card with all my contact details but have heard nothing - why issue them if they're not followed up?

• Liked — Proximity to Airport
  • Disliked — Shabby room, expensive food/drinks.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple