1,421 results
All reviews tuck box winter garden elemis toiletries insurance company refuge assurance real milk beautiful hotel fresh milk in the fridge original features amazing building period features deluxe room oxford road train station palace theatre little touches beautiful room reception area
Reviewed October 17, 2018 via mobile

I absolutely loved this hotel. I stayed with my 18 year old daughter as a treat for doing well in her exams. The original features that have been kept and restored are breathtakingly beautiful. The rooms are incredibly comfortable and the staff super friendly. The hotel bar was nicely busy and the cocktails we delicious. Our room was spot on, clean, comfortable and we didn't hear a sound from outside or other rooms.

Our whole stay was just luxury and I have decided I will return for my husbands 40th.

Trip type: Traveled with friends
Peter K, General Manager at The Principal Manchester, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2018

Dear Treasa P

Thank you for providing feedback on your recent stay at The Principal Hotel.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I am delighted that you intend to stay again on your next visit to Manchester. Please let me know when you will be coming so I can arrange a warm welcome for you.

Kind regards,
Peter Kienast General Manager

Reviewed October 17, 2018 via mobile

The hotel is beautiful they have retained so much of the original Refuge building
We arrived early for check in but were welcomed and our luggage stored for us.
Reception staff were lovely. So helpful.
We went shopping and returned later.
The room was stunning. Spotlessly clean and well appointed.
The air con was incredibly effective and changed the temperature very quickly. You could keep it just how you like it.
The bathroom was well equipped and very clean.
The attention to detail with using light fittings and furniture that suits this iconic building
The hotel was busy but we heard nothing from any other room or the corridor. The bed was comfy and the linen nice. Towels fluffy and big.
We slept really well and we were insulated from the outside street.
The breakfast was good, plentiful and staff were very polite and helpful.
We wanted to see the rest of the magnificent building, the foyer and ground floor were impressive.
We had a wander and staff were willing to take time to show us the fully tiled stairwells and wonderful ballroom.
We were impressed and would go here again rather than the Lowery - the parking is a pain but the hotel is so worth it.
Brilliant stay.

Trip type: Traveled as a couple

Dear Jojo1916,

Thank you kindly for having shared your detailed and positive comments with our TripAdvisor readers.

I am delighted you have enjoyed your stay with us and that our services and facilities have met with your overall expectations.

Your valued words and description of our bedrooms and facilities are vital in our outgoing efforts in delivering our brand standards to our guests, and herewith we sincerely appreciate your preference and suggestions.

It a pleasure to have you as our guests and I look forward to welcome you back in the future.

Kind regards, Peter Kienast General Manager

Reviewed October 16, 2018 via mobile

Stayed here for one night with my mum for her 25 year long service award with Morrison’s.
It was very disappointing from start to finish.
The previous night we opted for the ‘cheaper’ option of a premier inn close by - that was much better !!!!
Checked in at 3 to be told that our room was ready. Given vague directions to the room, which was difficult to find. Got there eventually only to find the room had not been cleaned. Phoned reception who just said ‘ok I will tell house keeping’ no apology. Went out to the corridor and saw someone from house keeping and informed him that our room had not been cleaner. He apologised so we left them to clean the room whilst we went to the bar for a drink.
Ordered a bottle of wine to be given two dirty glasses - had to ask for clean once and for a wine chiller.
Back to the room to get ready for the evening event. The room smelt of smoke. There was a dyson fan / mini air conditioner in the room, clearly to try to hide the smell !!!!
Start getting ready - No dressing table. Just a desk/table with no mirror over it. Had to stand to dry my hair next to the full length mirror which was next to two steps down to the door. Potentially very dangerous. There was also no plug socket close to the mirror so the electric cable was stretched from the side of the bed.
Went to the function which was to celebrate my mums long service award. That was ok.
Went back to the room after the function to make a brew only to find that the milk in the mini fridge was off. At 12.30 am I could not be bothered to go the reception to complain. Went to bed without a brew.
The room was located at the end of the corridor - room 124. The noise from the bar was horrendous !!!! It is a good job we did not have children with us. Went on until about 1 am.
Went down for breakfast in the morning, no plates next to the continental breakfast. Had to ask for them. Made some toast and went to get some cooked breakfast. Again no plates. When they were brought out the top plate was chipped and they were all cold. The ‘hot’ food was not very hot and being put onto cold plates it was cold by the time I sat down.
Had to ask twice for a cup of coffee - staff were all off hand and miserable !!!!
Went to check out and one of the porters said we could do an express checkout and asked if everything was ok with our stay. I said no it was disappointing- he basked if I wanted to talk to the duty manager which I did. Her response to all of the about was ‘ thank you for your feedback I will inform house keeping’
Sorry but I don’t think it is good enough.
The impression I got was that they knew we were staying there for free, as party of the long service celebration, so it did not matter. Top and bottom if it is that Morrison’s very kindly paid for a 4* hotel and the hotel took advantage of this.
It is supposed one a 4* hotel, like I said the premier in was much better in my opinion.
My advice would be to save your money and go for the budget option as the extra you would pay to stay here is clearly not worth it!!

Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank MichelleH888

Dear Michelle H

I was saddened to learn of many aspects of your recent stay that caused you such frustration. It is apparent that our level of service did not meet an acceptable level and I can appreciate how inconvenienced you were as a result.

If you would be agreeable, I would like to discuss this matter with you personally so I can investigate to fully understand how each area let you down. Can you please send your contact details to my duty manager Adelina Misina at adelina.misina@principal-hayley.com ? Either myself or a member of my Executive Team will then contact you for more details.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards.

The General Manager

Reviewed October 15, 2018 via mobile

We had booked a number of rooms for our sales team for a trade show at the Principle and we were generally disappointed by the standard of room, indeed one of rooms was so low that anyone over 5ft would have struggled in the loo. Breakfast was not very good and generally not hot food although the service was better than the food. Generally disappointed especially as it was not cheap!

Trip type: Traveled on business
1  Thank tomamoses

Dear TOMAMOSES

I am sorry to learn that your stay was disturbed and I am dismayed that you left the hotel with a negative opinion.

I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to speak with you personally about your experience so if you would send your contact details to my office at adelina.misina@theprincipalhotel.com, I or one of my team, will contact you to discuss further.

Best regards

Peter Kienast, General Manager

Reviewed October 14, 2018 via mobile

We had a fantastic day and night provided by Morrisons the hotel was clean and the rooms really good warm plenty of room tea/coffee courtesy tuck shop courtesy toiletries and dressing gowns excellent all round service . The venue for the party was also excellent with really good food if anything the breakfast could of been warmer had to wait for sausages also but did. It spoil the weekend

Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank JOEA500

Dear JOEA500,

Thank you for taking the time to provide comments about your recent stay. I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for such a wonderful recommendation.

Warm regards.