“A really nice hotel in the heart of manchester” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ibis Styles Manchester Portland Street

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Ibis Styles Manchester Portland Street
Ranked #56 of 115 Hotels in Manchester
York, United Kingdom
“A really nice hotel in the heart of manchester”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2014

helpful staff, centrally located and clean. We went for a weekend to see Coronation Street Tour and was ideal. We went by train to manchester piccadilly and was a short walk to the hotel. The coronations street tour was only a mile (20 minutes walk) from the hotel. The only criticism was that the room was quite small for what i expected for the price and the toilet wouldn't turn off the flush until we pressed the flush button a few times but the staff responded very quickly to this. It was a very quiet hotel considering the location and clean. thought the breakfast was expensive and therefore did not eat there, we found a weatherspoon pub just up the road serving breakfast and ate a hearty breakfast on the return to the railway station, would use again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
      Cleanliness
GeneralManager54, Manager at Ibis Styles Manchester Portland Street, responded to this review, July 20, 2014
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences of us they are greatly appreciated. I was delighted by your review and hope that you had a wonderful time at the Coronation Street tour as we have heard really good things about it here at the hotel. Furthermore I do hope on your next visit to Manchester you will come and see us again at the Portland.

Kind regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
grimsby uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2014

We stayed here for a birthday break on the 11 july, for 2 nights, and we stayed in the junior king suite, we arrived slighty early but lucky for us the room was ready so we was able to check striaght in, we went to our room and it was worth paying the extra as the room was huge it had a four poster king sized bed which was so comfy and a nice big room, the bath room was huge as well, we had a jacuzzi bath which was nice, the only thing that let it down was i saw some photos of a jacuzzi bath on the internet and it showed you a corner bath which we thought we would get but it was a normal sized bath with the jets bulit in, but that was our only fault.
the staff where very help full and polite, we didnt eat in the hotel but had a drink in the bar before we left which was a lovely way to start the evening. we was not on the front of the hotel so our room was very quite and peaceful, over excellent hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GeneralManager54, Manager at Ibis Styles Manchester Portland Street, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Dear Reviewer

Firstly a very happy belated birthday from us all here at the Portland and I hope you had a great time out and about celebrating. I was thrilled to read your review and have cascaded it down amongst our team as I know they will appreciate your kind words. I do wish that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you both back to us on your next visit to Manchester

ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2014

Stayed here for 4 nights and it was perfect! Our room was really nice, the food was lovely, huge choice at breakfast, lovely staff and a great atmosphere around the place especially in the bar! It's in a perfect location and very central which is great if you don't know your way around Manchester. Really enjoyed it, will definitely be back!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
      Rooms
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GeneralManager54, Manager at Ibis Styles Manchester Portland Street, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences of us they are greatly appreciated. I was delighted to read your review and have posted a copy of it on to our team notice board. I do hope that you will definitely be back as it would be a pleasure to have the opportunity of welcoming you personally back to the Portland.

Beith, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2014

Warm welcome upon arrival and very quick registration. My room was on one of the top floors and was very small. My room overlooked the hotel services and this did generate some noise, though I still slept well. Staff were very helpful and food was good from room service.

Room Tip: One one of the lower floors
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GeneralManager54, Manager at Ibis Styles Manchester Portland Street, responded to this review, July 13, 2014
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback it is most welcome. I was pleased to read your review and have shared it with our team. I do hope that we will see you again soon here at the Portland as it is always a pleasure to welcome back our returning guests.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2014

Stayed at this hotel for 3 nights. Reception staff incredibly friendly exactly what you want to be greeted with! Room was very nice excellently presented and adequate for our stay. Only problem - the shower it was very difficult to get hot water and the plug did not fit so an alternative bath didn't last long!. Very friendly staff in the bar! Some were a little miserable but pleasant all the same! Overall, excellent location and we had a brilliant time!

• Stayed July 2014
      Rooms
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GeneralManager54, Manager at Ibis Styles Manchester Portland Street, responded to this review, July 12, 2014
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for posting your comments they are most welcome. I was pleased to read your review and have cascaded it down amongst our team. I have asked our maintenance squad to follow up your comments regarding the plumbing but do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Portland soon.

Llandudno, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2014

I'm a student so I'm not especially fussy as hotels go, and I'm certainly not one for going out of my way to write negative reviews, but I'm pretty disappointed by this hotel. The website makes it look much posher than it is, so perhaps that's partly the problem: it got my hopes up.

What this hotel has going for it: very convenient location for Manchester Piccadilly and the city centre. If you're just looking for somewhere to crash for the night, with half-decent bed and en-suite, this does the job. It's also good for breakfast room-service, and the free wifi is a massive plus.

Reasons why I'm disappointed, however:

1) The bedroom. The walls are annoyingly thin - as I type this review I can hear my next door neighbour's phone conversation very clearly. I'm going to have to put the TV or music on to drown him out. The wall decorations (photos of stone - gargoyle? - faces) are creepy and make me feel like I'm being watched.

2) The bathroom. The shower cut out for at least a good two minutes immediately after the loo was flushed. I'd put it on to warm up, and as soon as I flushed it cut out and wouldn't come back on!

3) The food. Definitely overpriced for the quality and quantity. I ordered a duck dish and it was very poor - veg was quite raw, the gratin was bizarre and chewy (texture was like rice and it didn't taste of the alleged smoked applewood cheese!), and the duck was tough to chew. The marmalade was very bitter and drowned out any other flavours. The sticky toffee pudding was better, but tasted strongly of butter - and given it promised dates, there were none to be seen!! If those are the 'chef's specials', I definitely don't want to sample the bog-standard dishes... Also, one of the waiters forgot to give cutlery to myself and a lady on another table, so service was disappointing on that front.

4) The women's changing facilities for the pool/gym are open plan (it was awkward at school and it's worse with complete strangers!) and very small - thankfully it was quite empty when I used them, but it still felt cramped! The pool was also tiny, not much room for more than a couple of swimmers.

To summarise:
If you don't come here expecting luxury, you won't be disappointed. However, I had a much nicer experience at the Premier Inn down the road (also on Portland Street), and to be honest I probably wouldn't choose to stay here again unless I had to. And I definitely wouldn't eat at the restaurant again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Sophie W
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to give us our experiences of your stay. I read your review with interest and have shared it with our team as it always saddens me to read such comments and that we appear to have been unaware of your disappointment whilst you were with us. It would have been good to have had the opportunity to alleviate them or at the very least to have apologised in person . Furthermore if you would like to discuss your points in greater detail please do contact the hotel directly.

Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2014

I slipped in here for a quiet drink and snack early evening thinking it would be quiet and use the wifi …which is great. The glass of wine and snacks were lovely and charmingly served and not overly expensive….but its a dodgy area clearly as there were a group of very loud and rough street-wise folk in there paying cash - drinking lots and asking for things like 'what's they most expensive bottle of champagne>' while exchanging some pretty wild conversation about how they made the cash! …..The hotel can't really be faulted for this and seemed as offended by them as everyone else - although they happily took the rolls of cash and bad language! Great free wifi and good bar food.

Room Tip: didnt stay in the rooms just use the facilities and had a meal there ….
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. I have issued a copy of your review to our team and have asked for their comments as although we do have a wide range of clientele both as guests of the hotel and those who simply pop in as they are passing by, bad language is not acceptable under any circumstances. I do hope though that you will return to us again and allow us the opportunity of restoring your faith in us here at the Portland.