“Disappointing” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #57 of 115 Hotels in Manchester
Carlisle
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2008

As a wheelchair user I'd booked an accessible (or as they put it 'disabled') room, and although I was traveling on my own on business this meant I had to have a double room.

On arrival at the hotel someone showed me to my room. The door opened into the room and the bed was in front of you, then to the right the door to the accessible bathroom opened outwards into the main room. The problem was that there was no room between the bed to allow the bathroom door to open outwards into the room, and definitely no room to get a wheelchair through the door into the bathroom, and I couldn't even get round the bed to get to the tea/coffee making facilities, TV etc. When I told the man this he was surprised, I said I was booked into the accessible room, he said this is the disabled room! We agreed that if he moved the bedside table furthest from the door and moved the bed over then I’d have room to get round the bed, open the door to the bathroom etc, so he did that. However when he'd moved the bed that revealed loads of dust on the laminate floor under the bed, and a telephone socket pulled out of the wall, and stuck back on with brown tape.

I went downstairs to check out the pool only to find out it shut at 8, despite the in room literature saying it shut at 8.30. As someone else has said, it is tiny, I didn't know they did pool so small! It didn't really seem worth getting changed for.

The buffet breakfast was ok, but for a 4 star hotel disappointing.

• Liked — Location, very central
  • Disliked — wheelchair access, uncleanliness,
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank ClaireCarlisle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2008

I stayed at the Thistle recently as I was attending a conference at the nearby Midland Hotel (sadly they had no more rooms available).

Check-in was slow, the room was poky, my keycard continually deactivated itself (I had to have it reset at reception every time I left my room), my view was of a flat roof and my window looked directly into someone else's room, breakfast was incredibly slow- my colleaue recieved his vegetarian option 20 mins after we had all finished, staff lacked interest.

Overall it was basic but clean and if this had been a travelodge or similar, at £50 per room I wouldn't grumble. But at £100 per person per night for B&B this is outrageous. And this was a discounted rate arranged by my employer. The tariff displayed in reception showed prices of £150+ and it is nowhere near worth this price.

If you stay here at a bargain rate and aren't too fussy then it's fine but I would not pay more than £50, this hotel is seriously poor value for money.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Poor Value For Money
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Manchester hotels

Warrington, England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2008

Being regular visitors to the drinking scene in Manchester, we wanted something cheap, decent enough, and close to Canal Street.
The Thistle provides all that but you do need to shop around for it. The prices can range from £70 inc a good buffet breakfast to a whopping £140 without! There are plenty of cheaper options, but, after a veeeery long week at work we decided to go for a bit of luxury and so went for the hotel with a pool option.
We arrived at 3pm on a Saturday (with cossies on under our clothes!) and were told the pool was closed at that time. Hmph! Oh well-it woud be open between 8 and 12 on Sunday-what a way to shake off the hangover. Getting in at 2am was a problem as the power had failed-plenty of swearing as toes were getting stubbed on the bed, but that's not the Thistles fault.
That morning we groggily went down to the pool to find the smallest pool in the wierdest layout. You come out of the lift practically on the pool with the reception desk at the side of the puddle-sorry pool. The jacuzzi was out of order and the pool was that small that we didn't even bother. It was more like a very big bath that a pool.
That aside the room was cofortable and the receptionist was the friendliest I've met anywhere-including hotels in the US. If you can get a bargin it's a great location but there are better around.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Pool is a dissapointment
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
cork ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2008

Stayed for weekend for match. Was apprehensive after reading reviews. Hotel was superb-everything from room to food & left
luggage on day of departure, Will book again,
Cork-Ireland.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank excellentCorkIreland
Leeds
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2008

Stayed for a hen do - did the job - somewhere to put our cases, get ready, get a few hours sleep in the morning before a good fried breakfast followed by check out at 12pm.

BUT if I was staying there for any other reason I would not have been very impressed - the whole place (except the reception which was very nice and did not reflect the rest of the hotel) needed rennovating. It looked like it has been through an earthquake with all the cracks and the double bed was TINY!

Stayed April 2008
1 Thank Beckie08
Cork, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2008

Stayed for two nights and will never return. On the Saturday the hot water was broken and remained so all day. On the Sunday morning the fire alarm went off at 05:30 so we had to evacuate for half an hour. If it had been a drunk setting it off I'd say, "Hey it happens" but it was due to the previous days issue with hot water so it was the hotels own fault.

The entire hotel is grubby and in need of renovation. The bar is about the only nice area but during our stay they only had two beers on tap (all of the other taps were covered off and not working).

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Rundown nature of hotel and some rooms
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Angry-Rebel
Doncaster
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2007

Had problems from the 1st minute, had to ring them for directions. On ringing hotel, the guy had no idea what was next door to his own hotel. Eventually we found it and were advised that our car would be parked for us and we checked in. BE ADVISED THIS COSTS £11 TO PARK!!!! This wasnt explained on arrival. We couldn`t get into our room as the card wasn`t working when we did get in the room was small and stunk of fags, we asked to be moved and indeed we got another room. This was also small. Our next door neighbours were talking all night and unfortunatly the walls were VERY thin so this was a problem. Breakfast next day was poor, we had to wait 20mins for a table and it was a bit of a free for all. Toast had to be ordered, which came after we ate our meal. Also be aware in Manchester there must be a butter shortage given the amount we got. WILL NOT GO BACK.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple