“great location” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #57 of 115 Hotels in Manchester
west yorks
“great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2012

stayed here for one night.allthough rooms are a bit dated they are spotless and comfy.
the check inn was with out a problem.double room was small but that was not a problem.the hotel was very bizzy but the staff had time for every one they where very helpfull and freindly.nice bar which served snacks. the breakfast was very good plenty to choose from and it was all fresh.i will stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank tonywestyorks
Thistlehotels, General Manager at Ibis Styles Manchester Portland Street, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Dear Reviewer
Thank you for writing your review regarding your stay with us. I was pleased to read that overall you had had an enjoyable stay with us and found our team to be friendly and helpful. I do hope that you will come and stay again as it would be a pleasure to welcome you back to the Portland.
Ian Corner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Harrogate, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012

We booked this hotel to allow us to have a day/night at the Manchester Xmas Market because there was a good deal on price.

Reception friendly but a little slow, rooms OK but bed uncomfortable and unfortunately both neighbouring rooms had guests that enjoyed a little shouting!!

Lounge area lacked appeal and breakfast was limited.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nigel L
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. I was disappointed to read your review and I am sorry that you found our beds to be uncomfortable and that you were disturbed by noise from the neighbouring rooms. We do try our very best to monitor noise levels to try and ensure such incidents do not occur or if we become aware we deal with the situation promptly and efficiently doing our best to not disturb our valued guests. I do hope that you had an enjoyable time at the Christmas markets and on your next visit to Manchester you may stay with us again and allow me the opportunity to apologise to you in person.
Dublin_Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2012

Stayed in this hotel for 3 nights during November 2012.
The best reason to recommend this hotel is it's location in the heart of Manchester, about 300 mts from the Piccadilly Gardens tram stop [Metrolink] & Picadilly bus station. It's also close to an excellent tourist information centre.
If flying into Manchester airport [ as we did ] you simply take a train to Piccadilly station, then walk up the London Road, turn left on Portland street and there is The Portland Thistle hotel. This walk will take less than 10 minutes. Otherwise you can get a tram from the station to the Piccadilly Gardens stop and walk approx 300 mts to the hotel.
The hotel reception staff were friendly, helpful and professional on arrival & throughout our stay.
Our double room [No 131 on the 1st floor was very small indeed for a couple, just not satisfactory. The double bed took up most of the room and it was not practicable to get out of the bed on the side nearest the wall, however in fairness the bed was comfortable.
The air conditioning was noisy and believe it or not during our stay we heard someone snoring, presumably in the adjacent room and could also readily hear people talking.
The bar area was too cold and functional for my liking, the furnishings being minimalist and the double entrance doors are open constantly to the foyer.
As I said at the outset, location is what this hotel is all about. I thought it was pricey, but you can decide that yourself. The next time we come to Manchester - a great city by the way - we will stay at a different hotel, hopefully with a bigger bedroom.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TCM_Dublin_Ireland
Thistlehotels, General Manager at Ibis Styles Manchester Portland Street, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments regarding your recent stay with us. I was sorry to read your review and that we had not had the opportunity to address your issues whilst you were with us which may have made your stay more enjoyable. Although I was pleased to note that you found our Reception team to be friendly and helpful. I will ensure your comment is shared with our team as I know they will appreciate your kind words. Further more I do hope that you may reconsider your decision to stay in another hotel on your next visit to Manchester as it would be a real pleasure to welcome you back to the Portland and to be able to discuss your concerns in person.
Sunderland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

Stopped here on business for the week, location was great as where I needed to be was literally across the road, but the hotel was just average.
When I arrived there was lil desk up front with a woman sitting there and watching you come in and not even speak, went to reception to find I had to wait then a woman appeared, there was also another gentleman wanting to check in at the same time and the woman at the desk behind finally came to her senses to deal with the guy behind after she moaned to get up. I had to pay for my room all upfront which I have never done before, I have always just given my credit card for a deposit and not to pay. The woman was quiet a bit rude and looked like she couldn't be bothered to have served me.
I was then given my room key for the 4th floor, which the room was tiny, felt like I was in a box room with a toilet stuck on it, it could just fit my luggage in (I am a girl so my luggage isn't going to be small) so it was quite a tight squeeze. Room was quite cold but after I worked out how to alter the temp then that wasn't a problem. My room got serviced every day but the housekeeper must have to keep your window open, as every time I came in for work it was bloody freezing (pardon my French) and specially when it is windy and raining outside. The walls are also very thin, I could here next door having a chat on the phone to hopefully what was a loved one and also could hear his music coming through when I was having a bath. But that seems to be all on the floor as you can hear quite a lot when just walking along the corridor.
The hotel does have a gym and pool facility, gym is tiny, with a 1 treadmill, 1 bike, 1 cross trainer and 1 skier, so if one person wants to go on the treadmill for 30/40mins then it is prob impossible for you to go on even when I went at 7 in the morning it was still busy with at least 3/4 people in!!
Pool is small but lovely to have a dip in and also the jacuzzi, and in each changing room there is also a sauna in both, but awful when the only person you know staying at the hotel is a guy so your sitting by yourself.
I did have a meal in the restaurant on the night, I did get the pizza which is a Chicago town take away one, where your paying £13-£15 for one where there in the supermarkets for less than £5 for it. But there is a weather spoons literally across the road if you want cheap food, but you are surrounded by many places to eat as you are opposite Piccadilly gardens which is very central Manchester. Breakfast was decent, they did offer to make me an omelette when I asked if I could have something else than the normal full English breakfast.

I would only return to this hotel if it is for work as it was across the road from where I needed to be so I could of easily rolled out of bed and went to work, but I wouldn't come for pleasure.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Nat90xoxo
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I was dismayed by your comments and I can only apologise that you stayed with us for the week and we appear to have been unaware of your concerns. I am also truly sorry we did not have the opportunity to discuss them with you in person during your stay as this may have avoided you having had such a disappointing experience. I have launched an investigation with our team as no lapse in standards are acceptable and will not be tolerated. However if you would like to discuss the matter further please do not hesitate to contact the hotel directly.
Isle of Skye, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2012 via mobile

Asked for quiet room and got one on 7th floor at the back which was ok . Room was freezing and putting heat on made little difference. I was alone but rooom would've been way too small for a couple. Water pressure in shower very variable.

Breakfast was the low point. Lukewarm water for the DIY tea and coffee. Thin yoghurt. Rubbish fruit selection mainly just melon and a scattering of grapes. Staff disinterested both at breakfast and in reception when I mentioned my issues with brekkie.
Wouldn't stay again by choice.

1 Thank Jacqui R
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for writing your review it is most appreciated. I was disappointed to read the concerns you raised during your recent stay with us. I have asked our Heads of Departments to investigate your comments and to take any necessary action. I have also stressed that customer service is our number one priority here at the Portland and no excuses are acceptable for any lapses or anyone showing disinterest. I would like to take this opportunity to apologise for the attitude you experience on this occasion. I do hope that on your next visit to Manchester you will choose to come back to us as it would be good to have the opportunity to welcome you back and to discuss your concerns in person
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2012

I was disaapointed to find that the size of the dounle room was tiny - i stayed in a thistle hotel in birmingham which looked grand fom the putsude but contained a cramped double room sadly te portland is the same .

I arrived and the room itself was an ice box as the air conditioning was on full blast. i tried to figure out the heating controls when i realised someone had left the air con on full blast in the bathroom - i turned it off thinking that would fix it but I woke up to a very cold room.

The iron I used in the room before going to work was not clean and when I used it I had a huge white mark on the back of my new shirt after using it. I just didn't Have the time to complain as I was getting ready for work. Really if you are to provide an iron it should be clean for others to use.

This was a very disappointing stay.

1 Thank Stussylad
Dear Reviewer

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review. I was most disheartened to read about the issues you experienced during your stay with us and have asked our team to investigate your comments and to take any appropriate measures to ensure that these issues do not arise again. However I do hope that in the future you may return to us here at the Portland as it would be good to have the opportunity to apologise to you in person
teesside
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

just spent our annual weekend here for our xmas shopping. The hotel is excellent, very clean and rooms comfortable and well decorated. The bar and resturant are inviting and the food is top class. The staff are all very pleasant and friendly. Marcus the resturant manager is very welcoming and professional with a great sense of humour! and must mention paula the waitress who cant do enough for you!! I Would recommend this first class hotel to anyone who is visiting manchester.

2 Thank cadoTeesside
Dear Reviewer
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. I was thrilled to read your review and will ensure your comments are shared with our team and in particular Paula and Marcus as I know they will greatly appreciate your kind words. I do hope that you will come and see us again soon as it would be a pleasure to welcome you back to the Portland