“Not for the credit-crunched”

Britannia Manchester Hotel
Ranked #89 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Cambridge
“Not for the credit-crunched”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2008

Stayed here for a night to watch a football match. Since my wife did not join me for the game, she could go shopping around the area nearly located to the hotel. Lovely location, beautiful building, majestic interior design of the lobby. Just walk across the street you'll find buses and trams waiting. The multilingual staff would be able to help you to find your way anyway in the city.

BUT

With a price quite high, we were surprised that breakfast was not included and there was no minibar in our room (thank heaven that there's a lot of eating places around). The room has split level, separated by wooden railing, which blocks the view when we want to watch the tv from our bed. The heater was not working. The lift was so small, we rather take the stairs when carrying the luggage by ourselves. Cheap-looking mass-produced furnitures.

The sad part is, many people who came back after 11pm from the football game were inspected by door guards for their room key to avoid strangers bunking in. Not that I am against security & safety, but lining up outside the entrance when temperature is below zero is definitely not fun for hotel residents, especially when they are tired and sleepy.

It has spacious room, spacious bathroom and comfortable bed with lots of pillow, but we expected more for what we pay. I'll try another hotel if I am coming back to Manchester.

• Liked — Located at the center of Manchester
  • Disliked — Quite expensive for something mediocre
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank HFShah

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,029)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Llandudno, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2008

Stayed at The Brittania on 30th November on a special Sunday night deal. We (5 women!) had a lovely time. Our rooms were all nice, the hotel itself looks very grand and is very comfortable. We could not fault the food at either dinner or breakfast or the drinks - all included in the deal (free bar 6.30 - 9.30pm!!!) The restaurant staff were all friendly and polite. The location is good and we had the added bonus of it being so close to the shops and christmas market. Only 1 complaint was the shower was luke warm in the morning! Good way to wake you up!!! On check out the reception put our bags in the luggage room so we could go shopping and then hailed us a cab to go home!

• Liked — Warm and inviting - rooms and public areas.
  • Disliked — Shower temperature!
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank ReunionTour07
Belfast, Northern Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2008

My colleague and I stayed in the Britannia whilst on business in Manchester. This hotel is one which has been around for a long time. The actual building is listed as one of 'most widely known architectural buildings in Manchester city'. During our planned one night stay there was a football match on therefore, it was not possible to get single rooms in this hotel (or any other central hotel) at the time of booking but we were offered an executive room at a cost of £160. However, this had only one bed but for another £20 a single foldaway bed would be placed in the room for our use. On arrival no extra bed had been placed in a double room for us but the receptionist offered us an alternative executive room with 2 single beds.

The bedroom was quite tatty and in need of renovation. The carpet was worn, grubby and shabby. The furniture was scuffed and had mismatching knobs on the cabinets. A small kitchen stool was placed in front of the dressing table. The bed was not very comfortable the bedding was clean. The TV was placed almost on the floor in one corner. You could not see out the window unless you stood on a chair or table as it was located near the ceiling. The radiator was old fashioned and gave out very little heat even when fully on. The bathroom was adequate sized and clean but the shower head was fixed at a certain height and could not be moved. If this was an executive room I would hate to see a 'double room'. I even asked on check out if this room was an executive room and was assured it was!!

The hotel entrance was rather unimposing, and we wondered if we were actually at a hotel when the taxi arrived here. There was no doorman to help carry cases up an outside flight of steps. The actual reception area was rather congested with the sweeping staircase and cordoned off areas limiting space.

We had a meal in the restaurant which was good value for money. Breakfast offered a wide range of food but the breakfast bar was located at the far end of quite a big, long room which involved a lot of manoeuvring about with food. Service was good in both.

The staircase and chandelier were very impressive but that is all that is worthy of note about the actual hotel. Poor value for money

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — The room
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
3 Thank ElizaJane90

Travelers are raving about these Manchester hotels

Bury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2008

Was invited to a dinner with work. Food was great. Staff all friendly. Function room and lobbies were nice, and had a showround of the bedrooms and they all looked ok.

I barely ever need to stay in a hotel in Manchester, but after last night I reckon I'd give it a try.

• Liked — Looks very grand
  • Disliked — Lobby was cold
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank Daniel W
Paris, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2008

Having read the reviews on here I went expecting a bit of a dump but couldn't have been more pleasantly surprised!

The entrance hall is beautiful, check-in/out quick and friendly, the room (213) was clean, quiet and comfortable. I couldn't ask for any more than that when I've paid £50 for a room.

Location brilliant - bars, restaurants, shops and train station all nearby. Parked in the NCP Chorlton St two mins walk away. If you ask at reception they will swipe your parking ticket and you get 20% off.

• Liked — Everything!
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank lulabel177
Malta
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2008

Was at the Britannia with my wife and daughter for 5 nights as the last lap of an 18 day holiday. The Hotel is in a brilliant location right in the city centre. Taxi's are no problem and even coming by car is easy with car parks in the vicinity. I booked the room in April and asked for a room on a high floor. I was only advised that this was not possible on checking in in September. The room (triple) was decent enough in terms of space but beds were old an wobbly. The room stank of smoking and the 'verandah' was filthy with ancient bird excrement and cigarette stubs. Bathroom was ok.
Breakfast was poor but it was clear that same items were re-displayed until eventually consumed by clients. For example, ham slices were left even after changing colour dramatically from pink to grey.
The most depressing part was the reception desk. They had a separate queue for check-ins. I spent more than one hour of my holiday waiting to have my car park tickets stamped. On one occasion I waited 15 minutes, on another occasion I waited at the concierge for another 15 minutes until a couple of clients before me were served. When it was my turn, the recptionist rudely told me to go at the back of the check in queue. Unbelievable. Getting a bloody car park ticket stamped was a major feat. To be fair in all cases I faced the same receptionist (I have the name if somebody cares to have it to take action), other receptionists were more educated. This one was a real [--]. It was obvious that she was doing it purposely to spite me. She's a real disgrace to the Hotel. I visited hundreds of Hotel and have never met such rubbish even in so called underdeveloped countries.
A couteous service is what I really look for in a hotel. The Britannia has some serious problems. Not even the splendid location offsets the harassment we suffered from this so called receptionist.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank MaltaFlyer
Reading, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2008

Great location near several districts, including Canal Street, and near Manchester Piccadilly. Fantastic look to this hotel too - grand, but not snobby or decadent. The suite was less than £80 (admittedly, I got lucky with the booking rate and rooms available) and spacious with a four poster bed and lots of extras. It was clean, everything worked, the room was quiet despite overlooking a busy road, and the breakfast was a better than average buffet affair. BUT - the reception staff are amongst the least interested in their customers that I have ever tried to deal with - a real mixture of unprofessional, confused and downright rude. The location and cost for what you get make this a bargain - but some of the staff are really letting this place down. I'd happily go back, as long as I wasn't in a hurry to check-in or out and had a book handy for the wait at reception.

• Liked — The quality of accomodation for the cost
  • Disliked — The reception staff
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business