“Brilliant budget accommodation!”

Ranked #89 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Paris, France
“Brilliant budget accommodation!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2008

Having read the reviews on here I went expecting a bit of a dump but couldn't have been more pleasantly surprised!

The entrance hall is beautiful, check-in/out quick and friendly, the room (213) was clean, quiet and comfortable. I couldn't ask for any more than that when I've paid £50 for a room.

Location brilliant - bars, restaurants, shops and train station all nearby. Parked in the NCP Chorlton St two mins walk away. If you ask at reception they will swipe your parking ticket and you get 20% off.

• Liked — Everything!
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank lulabel177

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,028)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Malta
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2008

Was at the Britannia with my wife and daughter for 5 nights as the last lap of an 18 day holiday. The Hotel is in a brilliant location right in the city centre. Taxi's are no problem and even coming by car is easy with car parks in the vicinity. I booked the room in April and asked for a room on a high floor. I was only advised that this was not possible on checking in in September. The room (triple) was decent enough in terms of space but beds were old an wobbly. The room stank of smoking and the 'verandah' was filthy with ancient bird excrement and cigarette stubs. Bathroom was ok.
Breakfast was poor but it was clear that same items were re-displayed until eventually consumed by clients. For example, ham slices were left even after changing colour dramatically from pink to grey.
The most depressing part was the reception desk. They had a separate queue for check-ins. I spent more than one hour of my holiday waiting to have my car park tickets stamped. On one occasion I waited 15 minutes, on another occasion I waited at the concierge for another 15 minutes until a couple of clients before me were served. When it was my turn, the recptionist rudely told me to go at the back of the check in queue. Unbelievable. Getting a bloody car park ticket stamped was a major feat. To be fair in all cases I faced the same receptionist (I have the name if somebody cares to have it to take action), other receptionists were more educated. This one was a real [--]. It was obvious that she was doing it purposely to spite me. She's a real disgrace to the Hotel. I visited hundreds of Hotel and have never met such rubbish even in so called underdeveloped countries.
A couteous service is what I really look for in a hotel. The Britannia has some serious problems. Not even the splendid location offsets the harassment we suffered from this so called receptionist.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank MaltaFlyer

Travelers are raving about these Manchester hotels

Reading, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2008

Great location near several districts, including Canal Street, and near Manchester Piccadilly. Fantastic look to this hotel too - grand, but not snobby or decadent. The suite was less than £80 (admittedly, I got lucky with the booking rate and rooms available) and spacious with a four poster bed and lots of extras. It was clean, everything worked, the room was quiet despite overlooking a busy road, and the breakfast was a better than average buffet affair. BUT - the reception staff are amongst the least interested in their customers that I have ever tried to deal with - a real mixture of unprofessional, confused and downright rude. The location and cost for what you get make this a bargain - but some of the staff are really letting this place down. I'd happily go back, as long as I wasn't in a hurry to check-in or out and had a book handy for the wait at reception.

• Liked — The quality of accomodation for the cost
  • Disliked — The reception staff
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank nowtas
Cheshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2008

I stayed at this hotel in July, and I wanted somewhere to stay with my partner on a works night out. We booked the day before, in the hope that it would be reasonably priced. We ended up paying £80 for a double room, but thought that it was worth it for a nice hotel.
When we got there we were impressed with the location, and also the hotel lobby and reception area. Then we got to our room, and I can honestly say it's the worst room I have stayed in!
The first thing I noticed was there was no window!
There was a shabby red curtain, which when pulled to the side, hid a tiny crack of glass about 6 feet up in the roof! This could be opened by a long rope thing, but it only opened about 2 inches.
The room was very small, and did not smell very nice!
All the furniture was very old and chipped, the bed was uncomfy with tatty bed covers, and our TV did not work properly. 2 of the lamps also did not work.
We decided to put up with it, as we were only going to get ready there, and then come back at some silly hour in the morning and sleep for a few hours before going home.
However, I couldn't have a bath because the water wasn't hot, so we had to have quick cold showers, and getting ready with the terrible lighting was very frustrating. We couldn't have any background music/TV on as the TV was making an awful fuzzing sound and was flickering.
We were glad to go out!
The next morning we decided we were going to complain, as felt our stay had not been enjoyable at all, and for £80, you expect a lot better. The manager offered us £10 back, which we were not very happy with, but they were not prepared to give us any more back. I would definiately not recommend this hotel. For £80 you can get something a LOT better.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Paying a lot of money for a very poor room
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank Loulou095
kerry
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2008

Our group consisted of 17 Irish Farmers - this is a centrally located hotel and suited us perfectly for a tour of Manchester. Very pleasant staff, would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank c0kerry
Belgium
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2008

We stayed in one of the executive rooms on the 5th floor and were expecting a decent room. However, there was a strange smell when we entered, the room was very dated and when I went to close the window because of the noise, I found out that the window was already closed :-/ Double glazing would be a good investment. The noise is worse during the night as there are bars/nightclubs outside next to the hotel and you can hear the usual drunken people on a Saturday wherever you go in the UK. The bath had some black mould near the handles and was quite pokey. I didn't have food there but my partner said that it was nice. The staircase is the main plus point to this place. You feel very regal walking down them :-)) and the view up to the roof (or down to the bottom) is very impressive. I wouldn't stay here again but the location is excellent and the reception staff were very friendly.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank RRREES
Glasgow
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2008

Read other reviews and kinda knew not to expect 5 star luxury....

But when I entered my glorified broom cupboard the first thing I noticed is the 3 inch window !!!!! The decor of the room was shabby to say the least and the furniture was ancient and well past it's sell by date...............

When I tried to sleep there was crowds of people running through the corridors throughout the night and early morning they eventually stopped at 4am, I called reception they said sorry but then done nought ......

Only plus side is a great hot breakfast but that does not make up for the rest of the stay .....

• Stayed August 2008, traveled solo