“Hidden Charges - not good!”

Britannia Manchester Hotel
Ranked #94 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed June 6, 2014

I stayed at this hotel soley as a budget option and made my reservation via booking.com. Understanding that it was an old run-down property in need of modernisation I didn't object to the dirty wall-paper peeling from the walls, the old carpets that would benefit from a quick machine cleaning ir the huge chip in the enamel in the bottom of the old bath...however I really do object to being charged a surcharge for using my credit card when my booking confirmation said that there were no extra charges and the adverstised price would be the price I'd pay. Booking.com are taking this up with the hotel directly as it contravenes one or two legal points. It was only £2 that if it had been included in the price or I had been notified in advance about I would not have quibbled...just a matter of principle and deceitful practice!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Stephen D
There are newer reviews for Britannia Manchester Hotel

Reviewed June 5, 2014

The britania hotel in Manchester ,is a nice hotel if staying in Manchester it's in an excellent location for shopping eating out,,the gay village behind the hotel and many more ,I've stayed at this hotel alot of times even new years eve,,the staff are so friendly and make you so welcome,,a few tips if you know your going to Manchester on a certain day book this hotel early as poss the earlier you book the hotel the cheaper you get it for,,I've got the room for 45 pound for a sat night and the rooms and hotel are nice,,also ask for a high floor room cuts out any noise.

Room Tip: Ask for high floor ,or any above the second floor cuts the noise out from the night clubs under the...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Alan H
Reviewed June 5, 2014

I know what am getting when you check in here, so, on that count, I cant be too scathing.
Plus points, the location, and the price. The rest, must border on unlawful.
Tried to check in, was rudely told we had no booking, 30 mins later it turned out that we did, and indeed the ignoramus at the desk was in the wrong. An aggressive manager tried to apologise but his unfelt words fell onto my deaf ears. From reception, to the rooms, its like a hostel, a brothel from 1930s France, its a maze of corridors and a cesspit.
Into the room, the bed is already broken, there is no window (I knew this when booked it), BUT, its also ROASTING, def over 30 degree in the room, Now, have a shower and with the steam, it is near pass out material. The last guests had also urinated in the kettle. Its a hovel, a hole and a dive and how it allows to trade as a "hotel" beats me, the Bellgrove Homeless Shelter in Glasgow is a better option than this stinking sh1thole.
Course, 2 emails sent to the hotel direct have been left unanswered
Course, nobody from the hotel puts up any fight on this site, or any other?
Wonder why....

Room Tip: Make sure you get a window !!
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 4, 2014

The hotel is situated in a perfect location for pubs,clubs,train station,shopping and trams.From the outside its sort of like wow that looks a nice building.On entering the foyer it all looks pretty vast and of quite grand design but after that it all turns a bit grubby.The staff were spot on as they checked us in.Me and my son were just doing a 1 night over night stay to watch football.There are lifts to all the floors,on entering our room it was clean and tidy enough but very dated! After recently staying in a cheap Travelodge room this looked a good 30 years older! I only needed somewhere to park my bag and crash later so this was fine but only if doing the 1 night,Any longer and I wouldn't of been impressed.The bathroom was clean enough and the room had all the usual hotel room bits.There is a well stocked bar downstairs but there are plenty of bars also stacked around the hotel either side with a night club beneath the hotel although I didn't hear any major noise coming from it.There was abit of shouting outside the rooms in the small hours though.We didn't bother paying extra for the breakfast as we had to be up and away early in the morning.Like I say its not the best but I`m not really that fussy.Probably abit too expensive for what it is though.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed June 3, 2014 via mobile

I booked this hotel at the last minute online and read some if the previous reviews. I was a little apprehensive about staying!

Upon arrival, the check in procedure was fast and easy. Service was great. You can see that in the good old days that this was a a grand and splendid hotel to stay in. It's a shame that it seems to be ageing and could do with a refurb. The staircases are lovely.

Room was basic but very comfortable. Food and the service was also very good indeed.

Location is superb being right in the heart of the city centre. For the money I paid to stay here, I have to say it was great value for money.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed June 3, 2014 via mobile

Stayed a night with my partner. When we arrived into our room the wadrobe door was hanging off and we found a pair of underwear and t-shirt in the draw. After contacting reception they upgraded our room and offered us a free bottle of wine.
The only issue we had was the lack of available TV channels. But other than that a nice quite hotel and very cheap

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank John S
Reviewed June 3, 2014

A magnificent Grade II* listed building, this former warehouse retains much of its internal grandeur as well. It was converted into a hotel in 1982, and as other travellers have observed it is now showing signs of age. I enjoyed my 3-night stay, my only slight complaint being the noise from late-night revellers and the traffic on Portland Street - no doubt some rooms are better than others in this respect. Yes, it would benefit from modernization, but I doubt if you would get the present room rates afterwards.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo