“Disappointed” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #89 of 115 Hotels in Manchester
London, United Kingdom
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014

I've stayed here numerous times and always had a positive experience but my last stay I actually agree with the less than generous reviews on here. I went to check in and there was only one person in front of me. He was quite a vigorous complainer about his stay the night before. I really think this gentleman , as he was discussing security issues should have been taken to an office rather than let his problems be heard by everyone. Also I wasn't impressed that reception were basically telling him to just write in, where they could have dealt with his complaint. I did then then check in after a 10 minute wait. My room was tired with peeling paper, broken wheel on the bed. Dirty chair fabric. Only 1 of tea and coffee and 2 milks for 2 people in an executive room. The room did feel grubby. I was going to order a room service breakfast but both of the cards on my door had already been filled out by previous occupants plus there was no pen or pencil in the room to do it anyway. I had the do not disturb sign on my door but was woken by cleaners talking loudly from wrong around 8am. If you check my previous review I am not a professional complainer but on this occasion I really feel the hotel is going down hill fast. I have stayed here more times that I can remember but it really needs a shake up. Not good enough! Also after hearing the security complaint I was nervous staying in the room especially as do not leave valuables in the room signs had appeared in the rooms since my last visit

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,022)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
swansea
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

15 ladies stayed here as part of an organised bus trip!! Check in was quick & easy! Rooms were clean and beds lovely and comfortable! Central to everything! Food in the evening was tasty and a good selection for breakfast! We had rooms with windows and it was nice and airy but wouldn't have been happy with no fresh air or sunlight! Only downside was the bar closed and the bus driver was miserable! Its not 5* but value and comfort was very good and our room was clean which is all ee were looking for !!

• Stayed February 2014
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014

We've stayed at the Britannia Grand Burstin in Folkestone many times, so we were expecting the same standards; whilst the Britannia Manchester doesn't quite equal its sister hotel in Folkestone, we've still been impressed and we're enjoying our stay so far. One word to the wise; if, like us, you have any dietary requirements, speak directly to the manager. The one we spoke to sorted our minor issue out immediately and was very accommodating. The building itself is quite beautiful, as is the very grand chandelier as you enter the building. Whilst it may not live up to its past glories (we have been reliably informed that this building was once home to one of the very finest hotels in Manchester in the 1960s), it's still very good value for money and the staff are helpful and pleasant. Our executive double room is spacious and comfortable, though the carpet could do with an update. It would also benefit from having a new digital television installed, as it still has the analogue version. The bed, however, was a major plus point; in fact, we want to take it home with us! There was music from a nearby club, but this didn't stop us from having a really good night's sleep. It's also in a fantastic location, just a few minutes' walk from Manchester Piccadilly and a stone's throw from the Manchester 'wheel'. The city centre is on your doorstep and the Etihad Stadium is a mere 20 minute walk (very nice walk too). We'll definitely be staying here again when we return to Manchester.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less noise. If you're noise sensitive, go higher. Corner rooms have lots of n...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank veganmax
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

OMG!!! Never ever again!!! Honestly, I understand it's 3 star but worse i've never seen...staff,service,rooms,noise from outside,'circus' on a street just outside hotel at night,hot in rooms like in sauna,no air-con will never make us stay here again. Waste of money!!!

Stayed February 2014

Travelers are raving about these Manchester hotels

Guildford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2014

I got a mixed reaction when I told colleagues I was staying here, bit of a Marmite reaction (Love it, or Hate it). I had a great stay here. Nice and Central close to the Station - 5Min walk, close to trams. Room was quiet, Breakfast was excellent. Staff were great, room rate was excellent.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Tring, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2014

I was on a two day training course. I went up the night before so stayed for two nights. booked in all seemed good. Although the lobby area was cordoned off at certain points to direct you under the stairs, not that there was a massive queue anywhere??
My room was on the 5th floor so off to the lifts I go. The lift door opened.......eventually and took me to the room. An internal dingy room, where there was more thread on show in the carpet than their was carpet! the room was cold so turned on the paraplegic radiator which couldn't heat up an ant's backside never mind the room itself. There was no window only a 'skylight' in an little alcove in the room, there were insufficient plugs for anything other than was provided, unless I took out the room light to charge my phone, and with a windowless room this did not add to feeling of 'amour'. The next day did not get any better. I woke for a shower but the head was a 'fixed' shower head and I could not move it. Unfortunately, the head was directed at the wall, so I pretty much had to take a crash course in yoga and gymnastics to climb on the taps and take a 'shower!!'.
I gave up on the shower as being 1/2 wet turning around, I was freezing my galoshes off as the radiator was the one mentioned earlier, so resorted to a bath. The bath was nice and warm (thank heaven for small mercies).
Unfortunately, the bath ended and next to the toilet! without going into too much detail here - the toilet rolls may have well been sandpaper - cheap cheap cheap!! After my course ended on the first day I ventured out to the lobby bar, where they were showing a live football match in ARABIC!! (Arsenal V Man U) with a disclaimer on the TV saying this should only be shown in the middle east and north Africa!
I ordered a drink and was surprised at the price of £1.80 a pint!! Yippee my night is looking up, only for the price to change to £3.00 for no particular reason. I had a platter at £10 and this was actually quite nice. A little greasy but still ok as expenses were being paid. Nevertheless, this was the only highlight to staying at the Britannia.
The rooms and décor are rubbish, a little tired I have read in other reviews, 'tired' really doesn't tell you the whole story. Next Time I'll stay at the Thistle a far better place to park your weary head after a training course.

Room Tip: book somewhere else
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank NorthernTringDweller
Stone, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2014

My wife and I visited Manchester in December 2013 for the Christmas markets. We chose the Britannia due to it's excellent location for the market, China town, shopping and the nightlife. In addition it appeared to be competitively priced at £74 with breakfast. Nearby establishments were taking advantage of seasonal popularity coming in at £120+. I have experience of Britannia hotels but decided to chance my arm.

The hotel was a 10 minute walk from Piccadily train station and does appear to be a grand old building from the outside. I have already mentioned the ideal location but that is pretty much where the positives end. In fairness the reception was very busy but we being checked in within 10 minutes. However, the member of staff dealing with us was obviously a trainee and was asking for advice from another member of staff who was barking back at him and rolling his eyes on each occasion. This of course didn't give a great first impression. We then took the stairs and commenced the long trudge to our room. As I walked I noted the yellowing corridor walls, the smell of stale tobacco and the damage/half finished repair jobs to the carpets, ceilings and wallpaper. To be honest I was by now expecting to be disappointed by and I was pretty spot on. The room was small. The carpet was stained in many places. The bed was 3/4 size not double but the headboard which was rawlplugged to the wall was king size. In fact there were rawlplug holes throughout the room and bathroom which evidenced many a botched job. The furniture and decorations were all tired and worn and resembled something that had come fom a 1970's house clearance or indeed a skip. Only one feeble standard lamp of the 2 in the room worked. The tea making facilities were on a wooden unit on which most of the varnish had flaked off. The tv was laughable and was the same model which I threw out at home in 1998. We could only get BBC1, the remote was so well handled that all of the lettering had worn away and the tv stand was so low that you could only see the top 4 inches of the screen when lying in the bed. We later found out that the grubby window was loose and rattled loudly when anythin bigger than a scooter went by outside. We both fashioned earplugs out of tissue paper to try and supress the noise. My wife begged me to check us in at the Mercure opposite which looked lovely but I couldn't justify the expense. Later on walking back from the markets with takeaway food we decided to eat it on the street as neither of us wanted to eat in the room. We changed to go out for the night and both had that itchy uncomfortable feeling of not wanting to put our clothing into the wardrobe or onto the chair. Neither of us wanted to return to that room at the end of an otherwise great evening. The next morning we skipped the breakfast we had paid for as we thought that the chances of it being good when everything else was so dire were slim. On checkout we were not asked if our stay was ok and I'm pretty sure this is hotel policy. Why invite comment when everything is so desperately poor! I'm certain that everyone employed there knows that the place is way below standard and I didn't want to waste a single minute of my time in the building pointing it out!

To summarise I would say that this hotel is in need of major, major refurbishment which goes way beyond a lick of paint or a new carpet. It needs closing for 6 months and totally gutting from top to bottom. It's a sin for such a building in such a prime location to be plodding on in such a desperate state. I feel sorry for the staff I really do.

Room Tip: Sleep in your car, get the train home, pay more for a better hotel.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple