“Concert in the arena”

Britannia Manchester Hotel
Ranked #95 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed December 16, 2013

From the outside it looked fantastic check in was fine I booked an executive room when we seen our room it was up in the attic not an executive room at all very dated staines on carpet very small the bedding was clean old tv which the remote didn't work only stay there again if I had a better room .

Room Tip: Make sure you get the room you booked.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank wendy m

Reviewed December 16, 2013

Afternoon tea... Awful experience cold strange tasting tea and coffee more like dish water, sandwich...buttered with gritty stuff and a tomato slice, there was more turkey left on the settee by previous customer than on my sandwich, tuna sandwich was the best of a bad bunch, if you like your sandwich the size of a match box. Four of us having tea, but our scones only had two currants between them and that gritty butter didn't help. Mary Berry would have been mortified at the soggy bottom tarts, tasteless cakes.
The furniture was dirty and shabby, the decor very dated, the lighting wasn't dark enough to hide all the bad bits, but positioned to get you a migraine, lucky I could laugh at this as I wasn't paying, but I bet my sister is livid, as she did, poor staff having to work in that environment bet they get no tips, apart from find a better job.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Gail129
Reviewed December 16, 2013

I had booked way in advance for this hotel, paying extra for a superior suite. It was a special occasion as I was traveling from London with my girlfriend for her birthday. Upon arrival, I was told my room wasn't available but they had a room as good as. When I looked at the room, I was shocked to see that it was just a unclean standard room which I had paid extra for. I complained and was offered a free breakfast and the money I paid extra off. But I still wasn't happy because my room had been obviously given away. When I complained and gave the room number, the receptionist said and I quote " oh I can see what you mean" but there was no other rooms. So I demanded a refund which left me searching for a hotel in the local area as I had a dinner reservation booked for that evening. Would not recommend this hotel at all. Very bad booking skills and rooms not to a good standard.

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed December 16, 2013

Stayed at this hotel and booked it as a mystery hotel through Superbreaks.

The only thing that was good about the hotel was the price we paid. The reception area of the hotel is very extravagant, but be assured this is the only part of the hotel that is!

We were given a room on the 6th floor, the lift only went to the 5th floor, and then it was a climb up quite a steep set of stairs to the 6th floor. Not to mention that only one of the 2 lifts was working. So the wait for the lift was horrendous.

The actual room felt dirty, the edge of the carpets were absolutely disgusting! None of the furniture in the room matched. And the room became very cold over night.

We'd originally booked an executive room - but were told they'd run out. Therefore they gave us a free breakfast instead. If I paid for the breakfast I would have been very disappointed, it was absolutely disgusting.

If at all possible do NOT book this hotel.

Room Tip: Do not stay on the 6th floor.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank trusse03
Reviewed December 14, 2013

this was sour first visit to Manchester and the xmas markets very pleasant stay at the Brittania Hotel the staff were very helpful especially in the jenny's restaurant one of the chefs went out of his way to help me when I needed some thing to eat due to a restricted diet the room was clean and plenty of space I would recommend this trip although it was short and a coach tour we will return again well done

Room Tip: always ask for twin beds and non smoking
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 14, 2013

This hotel is very tired and really in need of re-furbishment. I was on the fifth floor and only one of the lifts was working, resulting in a long wait for the lift. The staff were helpful and friendly. The breakfast was mediocre. No fresh fruit or yogurts. Bread already toasted and cold. No real alternative to the standard bacon, sausage, beans and egg This hotel is located in the centre and close to amenities and restaurants and China town.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Leo M
Reviewed December 14, 2013

Worst night's sleep of my life. I was stuck in one of the top floor rooms, about a 10 minute walk from the check in desk. Bearing in mind that the hotel is massive and had only one working lift, and my key card took three attempts to open my door, it took me about 30 minutes to get into my room. The toilet had a little surprise left in it from the previous occupants, the room had been heated beyond human comfort levels but soon cooled down to freezing once I switched it off. The mattress on the bed was about one inch thick although that still left plenty of depth for plenty of unexplained lumps and bumps. I woke up feeling like I had been kicked in the lower back all night and was in pain all the next day. I cannot ever imagine a set of circumstances in which I would ever spend another night in this hotel. Great location but run into the ground by the owners.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business