“Short stay?”

Britannia Manchester Hotel
Ranked #94 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed December 5, 2013

My wife & I have just returned from staying a couple of nights at the Britannia, we were able to get a good deal plus the location of the hotel is convenient to the bus station at Piccadilly.
Its a great building its a shame the hotel group dont have a rolling up-grade program as the furniture & tv are well past their best, but for a short stay its passable, if you can get a good deal!
I would not pay a higher room tariff that they advertise for their are better hotels near-by which are better but charge more, & I dont think they offer the same deals.
We staid d-b/b the food is adequate, buffet breakfast & dinner but it isn't the best prepared by far, but it will fill you up? Our room was alright bathroom clean bed linen clean as were the towels, but the TV was Naff, its ok for 2-3 nights but thats all.

Room Tip: At the back of hotel.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank WOBBLY-BEE

Reviewed December 3, 2013 via mobile

My parents came to visit me for my birthday and were staying over night. They usually stay in a cheap hotel but decided to treat themselves and booked an executive room here! We arrived and the customer service was Nom existent. We went to the room to drop off the bags and were appalled, tiny room, tiny bed which was uneven as one of the divan bases was smaller than the other, stained carpet and chair, hole in the bathroom door, dirty bath.
They offered us another room which was no better, the bed was sunken at one side, there were no ceiling lights only bed side lamps, the wardrobe didn't open, it was dusty everywhere. For over £130 a night this is unacceptable. We called the palace hotel who price matched for us and have us the most amazing room and service it have experienced.
When checking out of the Britannia hotel the staff didn't care about the issues, they didn't seem phased by it at all and acted as if it happened all the time.

Dated, dirty, broken and a terrible experience.

Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank Jasinta H
Reviewed December 2, 2013 via mobile

Stayed Friday 28th November so we could visit the Xmas markets.
Hotel itself was clean,however that's where the good bit ends.
Horrid dated room,a bed that moved everytime it was sat on.
Bathroom was dirty with black
Mould.
Television was dated, only 1teabag with 2 milks but 2cups in the room.
Came back around 8pm to our room on the second floor.
There was extremely loud music with a deep base on,the base could actually be felt in the room.
I rang reception to ask if there was a function on in the hotel for the guy on reception to put his hand over the receiver to stop me from hearing him say "another one complaining again on the phone".
Not a wink of sleep until after 2:30am!
Complained again in the morning upon checkout and the receptionist just shrugged.
Clearly not a place where the staff care.
Don't stay if possible.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Emma P
Reviewed December 2, 2013

PLEASE I can not put this strongly enough,,,,DO NOT give this hotel or any Britannia hotel your bank or credit card number!!!!!
I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights,16th Nov and 17th Nov 2013, on arrival I paid cash for an Executive room.
but later when I received my bank statment these thiefs took a further £52.00 from my bank account.
The Hotel: is grubby at best,because of the hotels condition,we did not eat there,no telling what the food would be like!!again because of the grubbiness,we did not try any of the facilities that they advertise,,(swimming pool etc,)
thank you for reading this review,,DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL

Room Tip: my tip to travellers ,to find a good room,,go to another hotel,,or be part of "Rip off Brittain...
4  Thank rayhe14
Reviewed December 1, 2013

Booked an over-nighter, after flying in from abroad (10 hr flight). Reception staff were great, foyer quite grand etc. Corridors were dark and dreary. Defonatly needs a spruce up. Not seen a lick of paint in some years, with very old fashioned occasional furniture on the landings etc.

Our "executive" double room was a little better, good shower, adequate space but what seemed like the smallest double bed!!

Brekki was served in the basement restaurant which is a nice, inviting environment. Food plentiful but nothing special. Bacon really testy, shame about the sausage!!.

2  Thank RickyLeeds
Reviewed December 1, 2013

we stayed at the hotel on Friday the 28th November ,what can I say but very disappointing we paid 140 pounds for the night not including breakfast the room was shabby and depressing to say the least .the rooms are in serious need of updating whoever is in charge of interior décor is in the wrong job. we paid extra for breakfast I would not recommend anyone one else to do so I can honestly say it was the worst breakfast we had ever had both from a presentation point of view and the taste .it was truly awful.

2  Thank carol s
Reviewed December 1, 2013

This hotel from the outside looks fabulous and when you walk in the reception area and stairs complete with decorations this time of year all looked lovely! The big sparkly chandelier is a nice touch, so pretty! We got our keys for the rooms pretty quick, the staff seemed nice enough.
We stayed on the 5th floor. As i walked in the room the first thing i noticed was that even with the lights on the lighting was very poor. The bathroom light was really bright luckily so i got ready in there! Also i noticed we didnt have a window! never in my life have i been to a hotel without a window totally bizarre! it was like we was in a shoebox! there was an area where the window should of been, it had a curtain up and behind it was a chair, very odd.
The tv was big black and bulky it maybe needs updating! I haven't seen one of those in a while!
The bed was strange, we got a double bed me and my partner, but it was more like 2 little beds joined together on wheels! I thought i would of ended up in the bathroom if i moved to much, again very odd.
Considering we paid £150 i've seen better Premier Inns & Ibis Hotels for near the same price or cheaper!
The hotel seem to have spent more money on the reception area and chandelier than the bedrooms.
Luckily i was only staying one night and i wasn't in the room for that long as we was off into town!
Wouldn't stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a window as sometimes you don't get one!!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple