“room change”

Ranked #91 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
yorkshire
“room change”
Reviewed November 14, 2013

We booked a twin room 3 weeks in advance and paid in full, when we arrived at the hotel, they could only offer us 2 single rooms,as they had overbooked, they offered us a bottle of wine and vouchers for breakfast. I did say they should have contacted me,as they had my e-mail and phone number. I have since put my complaint in, and they did acknowledge that they should have contacted us re overbooking,then we could have made alternative arrangements.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,048)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed November 14, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with my girlfriend for 2 nights as a cheeky getaway. The hotel is beautiful, my girlfriends jaw dropped as we walked through the doors and saw the grand chandelier hanging adjacent to reception. We expected what we payed for the hotel. Your paying to stay in an age old hotel - which added equity to the meaning classic. It reminded me of those hotels you see on most old films. Very warm and homely.
We stayed for breakfast - a great buffet style all fresh and replenished.
The power shower in the room was fantastic, however I do reccomend a bigger bath!
We wilk definitely stay again as its very good value. Next time we will pay a bit more and stay in one of the suites.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ben C
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 14, 2013

Lovely big hotel,very grand and on the face of it good.Right away the front of house staff gave me a bad feeling,they were quite impersonal bordering on rude.I think some of the staff are a bit tired just like the hotel.both need to give themselves a shake.In saying that the staff at breakfast were great as was the breakfast.
I was in my room for about ten minutes before i realised there was something strange-there was no window! Slightly claustrophobic feel as it was a very small room too.I also noticed an odd smell then saw that I was in a smoking room.(is it just me or is allowing smoking in hotels strange?) I don't smoke so I asked if i could be moved to a non smoking room with a window and was told i'd have to pay more,my hands were tied so I did.Second room was pretty filthy,room was as small as the first,paying for my upgrade seemed comical.The window I had paid for was hilariously dirty,looked like it had actually never been washed,anyway at least I knew If it was day or night now!
On reading other reviews of the hotel It seems that there might be some decent rooms but it just so happens I dind't have a great stay entirely.City centre location is nice but to have a bad experience in a well placed hotel just isn't worth it for me. Would happily pay more money next time for another city centre hotel.When I'm working I often like to spend the day In my hotel room and just relax as I work nights, I don't like to feel like I can't do this like I did here.
The Britannia needs an overhaul cosmetically,the chandelier chain is thick with years of dust,the place needs a deep clean, and If the staff feel they are too good for the clientele they should get another job.
This hotel could be amazing,but It's not.
I was disappointed.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a (clean) window and without an ashtray or go elsewhere and not have to ask
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Manchester hotels

Chesterfield, England
Reviewed November 14, 2013

I stayed here 11th November - 13th November with a friend, booked a smoking room with no window but assured that the room had air conditioning; when we got to the room we soon realized that not only did the tv and one of the lights not work but the aircon didn't work either, we tried to persevere but the room soon gets hot when there isn't any ventilation at all. As night fell the room became unbearable, I phoned reception and advised that the aircon wasn't working, they told me that I needed to pay for an upgrade if I wanted a room with a window.

I advised that I didn't care about a window but they've put us in a room with no ventilation whatsoever, eventually security came up and told reception that we should be moved to a new room because he'd never been in a room so hot. So we were transferred to a triple room with a window, second room we'd been in the wallpaper was peeling off the walls, part of the little bannister in the room was broken, the kettle didn't work unless you held it down until it boiled and the whole place just looks really run down.

Cleanliness of the hotel; skidmark in the toilet in the first room we were in, everything seemed fine in the second room.

Went out on Tuesday in the afternoon and came back to discover that someone had been in my room and stolen my iPod; made sure I hadn't just misplaced it somewhere silly by going through that room with a fine tooth comb but it definitely wasn't there and I definitely left it on the bed before I left. I went to reception to report it who advised that they'd get the manager to investigate it once she comes in. It was at this point where I realized that unless you physically close the door, the door doesn't shut and lock properly meaning anyone could have just walked in. Didn't check before as I have worked in hotels and stayed in many more and in every one of them they've always shut and locked on their own.

Manager couldn't be much help though she was sympathetic and professional throughout but it was either the staff or another guest. They said they'd check the logs of who swiped into my room in the hours I was gone however those results were not given to me. She offered me the phone to call the police but at the end of the day what's the point? It isn't getting me my iPod back and I had a train to catch.

As you walk in you are presented with beauty but past that just gets gradually worse. Would not stay again and would not advise anyone else to stay here either. Definitely should have checked this site before stopping there as others have reported things missing also. I expect this when in a foreign country but not in England in one of our greatest cities. Shameful.

Room Tip: This hotel has smoking rooms however they seem to be next to non smoking rooms and while I am a smok...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Eastbourne
Reviewed November 13, 2013 via mobile

When the homeless chap on the steps as you go in tries to sell you a big issue go for it. You will need some reading material in the queue to check in! Even though it was reasonably priced it didn't represent value for money

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Luckily for me I stayed here before I read the other reviews but the headline doesn't tell the whole story as I'd probably have rated this between poor & average but when I consider the cost of the room for the location (which is smack bang in the centre of town!) then there is a bit of "you get what you pay for" to be considered.
On the negative side the room decor was somewhat tired and in need of a serious makeover but on the positive side the bathroom, bed linen etc were all spotless.
As for a bit of traditional character the main atrium and staircase up to the rooms is stunning!

If I have a bigger budget next time I might try somewhere else BUT if it's a "tight budget" again I wouldn't worry about re-booking here.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Having booked two rooms for one night bed breakfast and 3 course dinner for four people at only £65 per room, that's £32.50 each, we were very pleased with the large comfortable rooms, in a very impressive large old building, with a very grand staircase, leading up to rooms ,with super bathroom, good beds, comfortable and clean ,also with tea and coffee included, dinner and breakfast of the best quality ..

Room Tip: most rooms will not have a view as in centre of city.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family