“Worst hotel I've EVER stayed”

Britannia Manchester Hotel
Ranked #93 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

I cannot describe in words this hotel
Its like from a horror movie
It smells bad , its far far faaaar from clean
What can i say ?
We didn't sleep all night cause we were scared we ll get a disease or something
Me and my boyfriend felt absolutely dirty when walking out from that hotel
What a terrible hotel
It has potential but they don't bother giving it a PROPER clean !!!

• Stayed: September 2013
3  Thank Alexandra B
Write a ReviewReviews (4,219)

Reviewed October 9, 2013

I surprised my parents with a night away and took them here.
The check in, check out was to a good standard.
The room needed updated a bit as there was a lot of furniture that was quite old. I would have liked to have something a bit more modern for the price.
The breakfast was delicious and the staff were very polite.
I would recommend this hotel for a night away as it is very central to everything.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

Right then, rather than spend ages telling you all how dreadful (and honestly, this hotel is the worst I have ever stayed in, I could take a while), I'll get straight to the point. The reception area and outside look of this 100+ year old building is frankly, magnificent. However, the bedrooms, which incidentally look like they haven't been cleaned or decorated since.

Me and my fiance are not picky people, we've stayed in 1 star hotels before, but this room was rank! Dirty, smelly, wallpaper peeling. My fiance put an inch thick layer of toilet paper on the rim of the toilet when she went the toilet, such was her fear after looking at the disgusting toilet. However, as this was her birthday, and we had a show and lovely meal planned, when we first went in the room and saw the disgusting state, we just thought 'it's only a bed'.

However, when we came back at 10:30 (start of MOTD, it might be her birthday but I had already spoilt her) we came back to discover that our bedroom is only 2 floors above a nightclub. A nightclub that has a DJ that LOVES bass. I mean LOVES bass. We rang downstairs to complain (was told the music would stop at 2...it didnt, it was about 2:50) about how crap the room was and how loud the noise was, we even offered to leave the hotel and drive home for the night (which at around 11pm and living over 50 miles away, showed how much we did not want to sleep in this hotel), the night manager said there was nothing he could do except offer 10% discount (£10). We found this disgusting that a manager said he could do nothing about ensuring customers went home happy.

As it turned out, we stayed the night, getting to sleep at 3am. We then had a delightful morning call before 8:30 as someone had set off the fire alarm. This definitely was the worst nights sleep in the worst hotel, I have ever stayed in. Honestly, just stay in the Travelodge or Premier Inn, roughly same price but so so so much nicer. Next time, I won't make that mistake. The location however, is fantastic... but then again, so is the Travelodge or Premier Inn. DO NOT STAY HERE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES... IT'S GENUINELY NOT WORTH IT!!

5  Thank Thomas D
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Our spirits sank as we realised that the strange building in the distance was our hotel. They sank even further when we entered our room to find the window catch broken, the curtain hanging down and the toilet refusing to flush. The hotel handyman arrived but by that time we had decided to change rooms which the staff arranged without any hassle. The new room was better (just) but you soon get used to places. The beds are ridiculously small but they are comfortable and we had a good nights sleep. The plus points are that it is remarkably quiet for a city centre hotel, there's plenty of space and the staff put themselves out in what must be difficult circumstances. If you're hardly going to be in the place and you just need somewhere to lay your head this is a very reasonably priced place to stay.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

This isn't the grand luxury hotel of old, but neither is it charging grand prices.

Providing you're planning to spend more time out and about rather than using the hotel's facilities, this a good budget option for Manchester City Centre.

Located directly next to Piccadilly Gardens, this hotel is perfectly located.

The lively nightclub downstairs and the city centre location attracts the Stag Night crowd, so stay elsewhere if you're looking for a quiet weekend getaway.

Yes, rooms and communal areas are I need of some TLC, but my room was clean and staff were friendly/helpful.

The buffet style restaurant isn't to everyone's tastes, but when you get dinner, wine and breakfast in Central Manchester for £65, you can't really complain.

If you're looking for somewhere in Manchester on a budget, don't be afraid to book.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank paulgarbett
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Why do hotels give you the worst rooms and then only give you better rooms when you complain ? This is becoming typical in my experience. I book in Friday night. Room 40 is like a sauna & they cannot change the temp ( ??? ). No way can anyone stay there so I complain and am moved to room 47. This is after midnight. The room is next to the street so I may as well be sleeping on the footpath. Buses, cars, people shouting as they do on Friday night. I get through the night in some fashion & complain in the morning and get moved to the 6th floor where it was cool + quiet. Why was I not moved there first as this is a better room ? Is it hotel policy to get rid of the bad rooms first ? Why is this ? I'm guessing they thought they could do what they wanted as there were 2 of us on a football weekend trip. I managed to catch up on my sleep the 2nd night but overall frustrating & annoying. By the way….I've stayed here before but with my son once & wife on a different occasion & had no issue so the above reasoning only backs up my theory.

Room Tip: don't pick room 40 or 47
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 6, 2013

So, if you've already read some of the reviews on here, you'll undoubtedly be hastily trying to book somewhere else. Well, hold on a second- we stayed at the hotel last night and survived. Our room was on the 4th floor, and admittedly it didn't have a window....(hmmmm), which was a bit of a surprise, HOWEVER we were going to a concert that night then heading home early the next day, so perhaps a window might have been wasted on us. Well anyhow, the room was clean, no bedbugs, no evidence of violent crimes being committed within, and it met our needs. Yes, the tv was out of a museum, but it worked. The wifi worked. We were joyously awoken by the fire alarm at 8:20am, which lasted a minute or two but then subsided, and there was no evidence of flames, so no harm done. The breakfast was ok, it cost £7 a head. We were quite surprised to see a homeless person sitting at a neighbouring table eating a plate of beans, but again, why the hell not. The guests on the next table to him looked less understanding.
So, in summary... It's basic, but we found it to be clean and served its purpose.

Room Tip: 4th floor- didn't hear any noise from outside. No window though!!
2  Thank Kate J