“Fine if you get a deal and aren't staying long but not good”

Britannia Manchester Hotel
Ranked #91 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Mayland, United Kingdom
“Fine if you get a deal and aren't staying long but not good”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

This hotel is in a great location in the middle of the city and easy walking distance to most places and just a few metres from the main tram station. I expect this hotel was once very grand indeed but unfortunately it is now just very, very tired.

It is clean, which is essential, and the staff at reception, the hotel bar and also in the restaurant at breakfast were very polite and helpful but the paint is yellowing, the carpets are stained, the enamel is wearing off the sinks and baths and the decor inside the rooms is dated but not dated enough to make it attractive in an antique-y/stylish way... think artex and 80s!

What I do have to say though is that we booked through a Groupon deal that was good value for money (bed, breakfast and a bottle of wine each day for 2 nights at £79 for two - not each!) Given that we were on a short city break and weren't expecting to do much in the hotel but sleep it met our needs (just) and the deal made it less disappointing!

Room Tip: There is a nightclub under the hotel so I would think that lower levels rooms might suffer with nois...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,048)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 15, 2013

We were out for a night in Manchester and decided to stay over. Didn't book until 1am online. £35. Almost cheaper than a taxi home. We're given a smoking (which we wanted) room- double suite. Huge room with a smallish double bed, a separate sofa area and an entrance hall that made it feel special. Front window overlooking the busy street.
Very faded, everything was as it would have been 30 years ago. Big corner jacuzzi bath, but only the shower worked. Strange colour scheme and paintings.
Contrary to other reviews, it was clean. I wouldn't pay more than £75 for this room, and avoid if you want quiet. But all was fine, and at a literally last minute £35 who could say no?

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank counterintuitive
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 15, 2013

This is the second spur of the moment Britannia Hotel we have stayed in, it is a beautiful hotel with warm and friendly staff, vintage ornate furniture and a stunning staircase, the room we stayed in was an executive double which was a good size with a window that was the full length of the wall although we were at the back of the hotel we still enjoyed the view, the bar prices are reasonable and in the evening we noticed we could get a bottle wine for £6.95 (bonus) we didn't eat there as we had an evening meal booked elsewhere and needed to get away early morning but we are planning on going to Jenny's restaurant which is in the basement of the hotel later this year for a Sunday lunch £6.95 per person, we booked this through Laterooms and got the room only for a bargain £45

morecambe
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Hi
We stayed one night whilst going to see a show. We had a fantastic deal of £65.00 for a double room, dinner and breakfast plus a bottle of wine for free. The room was huge and very clean. The hotel is reminiscent of the big grand hotels of years ago and is not as modern as some people would like but for location and cleanliness you cannot beat it for the price. The food was good and you can eat as much as you wish. The staff were all lovely and very helpful and my husband and myself would recommend this hotel to everyone. Plus the beds were very comfy

Reviewed June 13, 2013

This is not a hotel to arrive in if you have a car. Nowhere to park outside and drop luggage off other than a taxi rank that is heavily patrolled by the local traffic wardens..

The hotel car park is a long way off, a very long way off so be prepared for a jolly across manchester.

The room itself was small but incredibly noisy due to the squeaky floorboards - this is also the case from what I could tell of the room above, below and either side. The room was unclean, small and not worth the title Executive Twin. The bathroom was extremely dirty and the shower had less power than the sink which in itself managed a trickle at best.

My stay at the hotel consisted of constant noise between the hours or 11:00 and 06:30 when my alarm went off. I must say it's not very often you get to actually be awake to see your alarm but this hotel guarantees this pleasure at no extra cost.

Although this cannot be controlled by the hotel staff the party in my hallway at around 03:00 was of particular interest especially as one of the games appeared to be how often can we open and close the door of the room nest to mine. This game however was soon replaced by a new game of how loud can we close the door - after an hour and half of this i presumed this was the most popular game of the night. Not wanting to spoil anyones fun I decided enough was enough and decided to quiz the the couple in the hall way. They apologises profusely for the noise and immediately continued their night of fun on my return to bed.

Having spent what I estimate to be 30mins asleep in total, I decided to get out of bed and have a shower shortly followed by contemplating the possibility that the rooms kettle may actually be the slowest in the world I then enjoyed a warm cup of coffee and watching the news on what most definitely is the worlds smallest TV, other than the really small ones that didn't really work that Casio made on watches back in the 1980's.

I eventually found the strength to pull myself away from paradise and checked out at reception. Having prepared my short anecdote of the nights encounters I was thanked by the receptionist. who with a big smile on her face took my key card and walked back into her office..

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Manchester hotels

Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 13, 2013

I have stayed at the Britannia several times in the past, albeit not for a few years. When I needed a hotel that was close to Piccadilly Station, based on past experience, I thought of the Britannia. What a mistake that was!

First impression is the hotel is in dire need of a complete refurbishment. I am sure in its heyday, the hotel was lovely, but that was a long long time ago and there was a lot of dilapidation since my last stay.

Next was the price. £149 plus £7 for breakfast and £2 for using a credit card! This is not cheap, but for a city centre hotel, acceptable. When I got to the room it was the worst hotel room I have seen, and I have seen a few! Hot, stuffy and no outside window, only a skylight. It reminded me of an inside cabin of a ship. This was a £50 room at best.

I complained and got moved to a room with three single beds. At least it had a window, but it was still hot and stuffy. The reception staff were ok, but I expect this would not be the first time somebody has not been best pleased with the room.

The breakfast room was packed, so either the hotel offers very competitive OAP rates, or there were a lot of wealthy pensioners in residence! I can’t comment of the £7 breakfast, as having not slept that well, I skipped it apart from coffee and cereal.

Overall, there are far nicer hotels in the area offering much better value for money.

1 Thank Paul_G_MK
Cheshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Well, I was expecting a great place of character and something special, it wasn't.
Large queue for check-in.....room was spacious but dirty, dated and very worn.
The bed rolled to the left and most of the mains sockets were broken.
Breakfast was exceptionally poor but plenty of staff.

Do yourself a favour and find another hotel.