“Not as I expected”

Britannia Manchester Hotel
Ranked #95 of 121 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Booked online and pictures of rooms looked ok. Room allocated on 2nd floor was a smoking room which was dirty with peeling wallpaper, marks on all walls, dirty carpet (big marks), all furniture marked and dented. I stay in hotels 1 or 2 nights a week and this was horrible. After compaining I was allocated a room on the 5th floor which was non smoking, slightly bigger and cleaner although I have to say that all the rooms I saw (colleagues also stayed) were dated and showed signs of heavy use and geberally not very clean. My new room didn't have any hot water in the evening but managed like warm water in the morning. It's probably ok for a stag or hen weekend but not up to business traveller status. Wished I had booked the premier Inn down the road.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (4,263)

Reviewed May 9, 2013

Having booked a cheap deal for the above hotel with a discount code for May instead of a Really cheap room i chose an executive double (room 538). The total cost for 2 nights was under £80.00.
I then read the negative reviews and felt i could have been staying one step down from Fawlty Towers!. How wrong that was... From check in to checkout my stay was most enjoyable. The foyer is like stepping back in time, and such a contrast from the modern ones in Manchester.
Both lifts were back in service, and whilst the tvs are old more channels than just the basic 5 are available. Yes the room was tired looking with chipped furniture, which a skilled craftsman could restore, but is in keeping with the period of the hotel.
Happy hour 6-8 in the bar is good i paid £3.40 for a large glass of wine!
Only downside was the hot water on check out day, although not fully working but was warm enough for a bath.
The best tip i can give is avoid the over priced breakfast and head to Missoula a few doors away, big breakfast nice fresh and hot for £4.95 including tea or coffee!, bargain.
Would stay again at this hotel and glad i gave the Britannia a chanc

Room Tip: Pay the extra as the really cheap rooms do not have a window...be warned.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I stayed here for one night on business mid week. The hotel is a great example of faded grandeur. I am sure it was the place to stay a few decades ago. That said, the room was perfectly adequate and clean, and the breakfast average but edible. It met my needs as a place to stop over, but I wouldn't want to use it as a base for anything more special. There is a lot of traffic noise and even on a Tuesday night there was a lot of screeching of car tyres, screaming and shouting from the street below.

If you are coming by car, use the recommended car park in Tariff Street - it is cheaper and only a 5 minute walk away.

The highlight of my trip was arguing on the phone with the man on reception who insisted that I had ordered a pizza - it was 9am!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

I stayed one night whilst away with work. Any longer and I don't think I would have been happy. I have originally booked into an economy room, to save money at work, however on arrival it was the size of a cupboard without any external windows. I therefore requested a change and for £10 extra I was moved to a larger room with large windows - much better - but still not good.

The hotel could be great, but everything is drab and mediocre. Tired looking furnishings, grimy surroundings, only adequate facilities. Bed was uncomfortable and tv had several channels that were all not tuned in properly.

I ordered room service, which came far too quickly. Was perfectly adequate but hugely over priced for what it was.

Went down for breakfast in the morning and as with everything else in the hotel, it was drab.

This might seem like a slamming review, but I should not that all in all it's a perfectly adequate hotel for a one night stay. However it didn't blow me away!

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Stayed at the hotel on Saturday 4th May for one night and paid £129.

Hotel looks very nice and grand from the street and the entrance is grand. However, price we paid was far too much for the general state of the hotel and state of rooms.

Rooms are very dated (as in 80's wallpaper) carpet was stain ridden and not small stains. Then to finish it off I wasn't very well so decided to stay in the room for the night whilst my partner went out to meet up with friends. Tried to use the TV and no batteries in remote, called reception twice and partner even stopped off at reception to ask for them. Was told that someone would bring them up and still no one turned up. Their excuse in the morning when I complained was "Oh he was probably really busy and forgot"

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 6, 2013

my partner and i booked in as we wanted to be close to manchester central - price wise and location is excellent - but absolutely horrified when first approaching this dismal and dirty looking very shabby hotel - it needs a thoroughly good clean inide and out - it seemed many years ago it may have been a lovely hotel, but has had no refurbishment or facelife for at least 25+ years. upon check in there was a wedding, great happy atmosphere, staff helpful, carpets old and worn, and when i checked into my room i was greeted with ripped carpets, stained bathroom something like what id expect from the 70's - the room itself was serviced but the windows were filthy with mould, bed gave me aches the next day, very uncomfortable, and the walls paint was all scratched off, ripped wallpaper, sofa chairs all stained something my grandmother had once upon a time..needed complete modernisation - i didnt want to ruin the evening so put a brave face on and ignored my surroundings, was deeply upset..would never stay in this run down hotel, completely utterly disappointing,,plus side was its cheap but then travelodge would win hands down if compared to this.

Room Tip: dont book - honestly not an understatement
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Ok so our car got locked in some fortress of a car park and we were stuck and I mean stuck in the town center. We were with a band playing here and we knew we would be going out with the band after the show but we did not plan on getting quite so cut off from my bag and toothbrush etc. The tour manager booked this hotel for us so at least we had a place to stay.
We walked up to find about a 100 noisy and drunk people outside with door staff all over? We then saw that the hotel had a loud club below it with people trying to get in to use the hotel bar.
Reception had us on the first floor.... We requested a move and at first he said they were full
but then moved us to the top floor away from the noise. The club shut and the noise stopped about 3 or 3:30 am. Room was basic but reasonable. Shower worked but we had to go out to buy a toothbrush etc. House keeping arrived far too early but our fault we should have put out the do not disturb sign.
We declined breakfast as it looked very basic and lacking for the money, so we left.
Overall basic cheap hotel that served our needs in our situation.

Room Tip: Big busy basic hotel, pool not used and fitness not seen or used. Rooms, a lottery really
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends