“Third World”

Ranked #91 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Cirencester, United Kingdom
“Third World”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

I satyed at this hotel maybe 12 years ago and it was lovely, with that in mind I booked 8 of us for a night and expected the same. However the service was shocking and the reception staff whilst checking in should have been a sign of things to come. They made us pay in advance in cash as there is a 2% fee if paying by card. They refused a 20 pound note because it had a tiny tear on the corner. We were 20 minutes early for the official 2pm check in time so they gave us the key card and we could collect the key later when the rooms were ready.We left our bags in the hotel and received a tag to collect them later. That evening when 2 of us returned a 'doorman' or bouncer to be more precise said ' Oi mate stay there' this is just walking in to the main reception he then asked for proof of staying at the hotel and I showed him my key card and then collected my key from reception. It was a very hostile greeting.. Not as hostile as when 3 more of the party arrived later. One of them could'nt find their key card and were refused entry, this happens in every hotel and should be easily resolved by chatting with the reception staff to confirm name. booking etc and recieve a new card and key. When they refused to leave a hotel they were booked in to, some words were exchanged which I agree should'nt have happened but then 5 bouncers dragged one of them out which resulted in a stay at A&E until 9.30am he had one of the party stay with him the other had to book into the Mercure across the road. No refunds no CCTV saved to make a complaint against the doormen and absolutely no intervention from the reception staff to try and clarify if they were actually guests. One of the party actually barracaded his room door in fear of reprisals from the bouncers.Horrible hotel, thugs on the door and couldnt care less staff.

Room Tip: Dont go there!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Simon A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,048)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Cirencester, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 27, 2013

I suppose the unwelcoming reception staff, shoddy décor, loud disco. and general substandard quality (all mentioned in other reviews) are acceptable, given its central location and the ability to get a good rate on line. What is NOT acceptable is the policy of employing boorish, bad mannered bouncers on the door. Not only was one of our party refused entrance because he had misplaced his key card (this despite paying up front for the room) but another of our group was hospitalised by the bouncer and four of his "colleagues" when he had the gall to try and help! If you are thinking of staying here my recommendation is don't - you'd be better off nipping round to the bins at the back of the nearest Tesco and getting a cardboard box to sleep in!

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Manchester hotels

Bristol, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Executive room........very dark....only 2 lamps worked, dirty bathroom with no hot water. Soiled tissue left on the floor in the bathroom. Body hair found in the bathroom. Basically a dreadful hotel. I asked for a feedback form and haven't received anything as yet!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed January 26, 2013

I paid 40 for this double room so my expectations weren't particularly high. At check in we were asked did we want to upgrade to a room with a window for an extra 15!!!! We declined.
The room itself was very basic, the double bed was very small, barely fitted both of us. The television was nearly as old as we are!, very little floor space but it was clean. The bathroom was small but clean and there were plenty of towels and toileteries. The shower was in the bath but this was fine.

It was snowing in Manchester when we arrived and the temperatures were below zero and yet there was no heating on! The bedding was obviously very low tog value and we were freezing. I rang reception at 2am to ask for a blanket or for them to put the meter on - however despite calling several times I got no response. I had to put extra clothes on in bed.

The hotel is extremely noisy - we had been on a night out and returned to the hotel at around 1am - between the cold and the noises! from in the room next door I didn't get to sleep until 5am. At 8.30am housekeeping staff came into our room to clean! - check out is not until 12.

The location is amazing, we did save money on taxis on our night out as we were in walking distance of everything.

Flying visit or not next time I will pay a bit extra for warmth and sleep!

2 Thank leitrim007
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 25, 2013

It is rare for me to take such complaint to Head Office and Trip Advisor however following our stay its needed and we have a further £3000 target spend on your company account with these.
The Review: I have to agree with all the bad reviews for this hotel. We had the same experience as the others,. Bad food and a very long wait in both an empty restaurant and reception. Reception staff themselves were struggling with basic English and had no customer focus.
Our main issue: We agreed to stay another night but was unsure if we required 2 nights when we made our first booking (due to snow). The hotel demanded we pay for the 2nd night at the hotel although the payment had been charged to our card for 2 nights already. This is also before and took a senior manager to notice.
The final point for us was ringing reception to ask for more towels and milk for the second night. Following trying to ring for 25 mins and been cut off (without talking at all) via the reception was told if we ring again we will be asked to leave the hotel. JUST SHOCKING.
The reception did then ring back and asked “what was up” – and could have the items we require if we went down to get them.
The food was expensive, cold and more concerning was the hotel was playing a polish decoder to show sky sports ??? Which we didn’t understand and illegal.
We will be staying at mercure hotel just across the road who have MUCH MUCH better rooms and service.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank John D
Reviewed January 25, 2013

The notices telling folks not to deal drugs by the lifts together with lots of posters for stag do's kind of get the tone of this huge anonymous hotel about right, classy its not . Needs rennovation however positives are its very central ,rooms were clean,staff fine and only £40 for a double per night with free wi fi. Book online bnot when you get there as the formal room prices behind the desk are much more expensive.

Room Tip: fifth floor best
manchester
Reviewed January 24, 2013

The woman at reception did not smile once at me, she barely even made eye contact, the process of checking me in was cold and uncomfortable, didn't even tell me where the lifts were. I think she spoke about 5 sentences to me during our time checking in.

I understand truly now the meaning of getting what you paid for. We booked the room through bookings.com and didn't have much time to choose. Corridors were ugly, walls needed repainting, floor was creaky, carpet were dirty and stained.

The room was reasonable sized, but no windows, everything was old and felt damp, the corners of some of the wallpapers were peeling off, there were random patches of I don't know what splattered on some bits of the wall. Old fashioned and just plain uninviting.

The TV was a pile of crap, remote was so worn out we had to really press down on the buttons for it to work. We could clearly hear everything from the rooms next to us, the walls are like paper thin, occasionally someone would run down the corridors.
The room was cold, radiator wasn't on despite it being freezing cold outside, I didn't know that the main lights didn't work and wasted about 10 minutes in the dark room try to figure out how to turn on the ugly looking lamps, there were two lamps, and one of them had to be plugged in but I have to move the actual lamp near a plug socket first. Ridiculous.

The bed was creaky, bed sheets were scratchy and basic. The bathroom had dirty limescale on some of the tiles, everything just felt dirty, lights were way too bright there was no way we could dim it, it was either get knocked out by the brightness or shower in complete darkness. Infront of the mirror was what appears to be a box tissue left over from the last set of guests that housekeeping did not bother to change to a new box, inside this used box was literally like 20 sheets of small tissues, it takes me about 5 sheets of this cheap tissue to blow my nose, what's the point?. Toilet paper felt like sand paper, should probably use it to file my nails.

Absolutely ridiculous, I think £42 a night was over paid. Regretted it. If it was £30 or under I wouldn't even complain, but the most disappointing thing above it all were the staff. I guess you really do get what you pay for.

The only good thing was probably the stairs and the fact that the hotel is in the heart of Manchester.

Room Tip: Window room or no window room makes no difference. Just dirty windows.
1 Thank Sally S