“Staff not interested in helping you”

Britannia Manchester Hotel
Ranked #92 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
“Staff not interested in helping you”
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Landed at the hotel, they wanted extra money. We refused. Hotel was too warm and we could not leave the windows open due to traffic outside. Our tv was broken/ we rang up 5 times and every time they said a replacement is on the way- it never come. The walls and doors are paper thin. We were woken up many times by doors shutting and people walking past the room. Every floor board creaked . We will never stop there ever again!!!

• Stayed November 2012
2 Thank Swanny1980

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,054)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Bournemouth
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Poor reception with misleading information given. Small room (I booked an 'executive') - goodness knows how small a standard was. The room was damp with peeling paper and was dirty and smelly. The bed was lumpy and the duvet about as much use as a tissue (there was a tiny blanket supplied as well). The heating only worked for about 10 minutes. The electical socket did not work which meant I could have the (tiny) TV on or the lamp but not both. I could only get 4 channels on the TV - what's that about? There was a lot of noise from the club downstairs. The food was rubbish - although I had paid for a proper meal, I was shunted into the Italian part and served a very overdone lasagne - mostly inedible. The girl waiting to seat people for breakfast was surly - she just said 'sit where you want' and made no effort to tell me where anything was. The selection at breakfast was poor and not very nice. No mention was made of the 'complementary newspaper' that had been advertised. Not recommended!

Room Tip: Don't bother
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Angel58Bournemouth

Travelers are raving about these Manchester hotels

Cirencester, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Been here before and was in an exec room which was lovely so thought I'd come again but in an economy room expecting the same cleanliness and eye catching standards.
But unfortunately this was not the case!!
I stayed in room 522 and first the shower head was broken but that got quickly fixed,
Secondly one of the plug sockets were faulty which is dangerous and also we either had to watch the TV or have the light on.
There was dampness in the room and the wallpaper by the window is clearly peeling and going brown
Another thing was the window was not sound proof which meant we could very clearly hear the words to the songs playing in the club and strongly feel the base.
The carpets were dirty and the bathroom was not very clean
I would also like to mention if that was the state of an economy room I would be interested to see the state of a standard room...
I was disappointed by the stay here and probably won't stay again, which is a shame after such a good first experience.

Room Tip: Go for an executive room or else it's not worth the money!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tiphaine H
Welney, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 17, 2012

The grandeur of the outside, stairway and reception of the hotel is not reflected in the rooms. We did receive an upgrade to a suite which although roomy, was in need of updating and would not have been worth the full price. I would at least expect a modern tv. Although the furniture has character it looks tired but I hope it is restored rather than replaced with modern furniture.
The rooms were clean, the bar was a nice place to have a drink before bed and breakfast was served in a typical buffet style.
A big plus is that they allow smoking in some rooms, so no standing outside in the cold.
If you want a quiet weekend stay I might not recommend a stay here. There is a public bar which is open until late and has loud music, which we could hear but it didn't keep us awake. We were woken at 2am when someone who had drunk a little too much set off the fire alarm

Room Tip: Don't pay full price for a suite
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ann W
Newton Le Willows, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 17, 2012

I booked for a mid week stay in Manchester whilst taking in a show at the Opera house. The hotel looks great from the road especially this time of year with the christmas lights etc. Inside, I'd describe it as an old lady of a hotel. Very grand and ornate but tired and in need of some TLC. The hotel could be quite easily brought back to its obvious former glory with a bit of effort e.g. painting the area around the stairwell and dusting the ornamental displays and glass light fittings. We booked an executive double, paying extra for it but the room we received was very ordinary, small and overlooked the main busy street, so it was also noisy througout the night. The double glazing was ineffective and difficult to move. The bed was a normal double not the king size I thought I had ordered and when I asked to be moved I was informed that there were no other executive rooms available. The bar is good and the attached restaurants look very good as well; feedback from other guests suggested they were ok. Breakfast was adequate and just as you'd expect from a buffet style offering. All in all, I was disappointed and tired the day after from lack of sleep - I wont be returning in a hurry and I wouldn't recommend it to friends.

Room Tip: check the room before you pay if possible.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank steve c
Ashtead
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Where can I start

I suppose at the very beginning when I used to stay here way back in the 70s when I lived some 35 miles away and stayed at the Brit very regular at the weekends. Check in great, rooms great, food, drink great and the late, late bar at 1am, 2am or even 3am was great atmosphere with the odd musition on the piano which looks like is still there, I can still visualise those nights even now some 40 years later.

Over these years, if I needed to stay overnight in Manchester, it was at the Brit and nowhere else was good enough. Now I live in Surrey and travel back to my roots five or six times a year and always stay at the Brit overnight on my way home. 'Why' central Manchester, good location, nice hotel with reasonable rates, good food and atmosphere.

What the hell has gone wrong.

Tonight I arrived in reception at around 10.15 listening to a guest complaining about her room, the young lady on reception quickly upgraded her to a lager and better room which was nice for the guest. I didn't take much notice of it but when I go back through the events of the short time I've been here 'and I'm still here in my room' I would call it very, very, poor standards.

The first thing I noticed was the sign on the reception desk which basically said that abusive and violent behaviour will not be tolerated. 'Wow' I thought, that's a bad sign to great you in a hotel reception.

Upon checking in with a very polite young lady I was told that a charge of £2 would be made for using a debit card. Now a credit card I can understand but a debit 'no way' shamefully of you the Brit.

I proceeded to my room which I never expect too much for £31, just clean and warm, clean it is as always but the window was open and the room was not cold, it was bloody freezing. Not a nice way to be treated in your room.

As it was late, like it always is when I arrive here I go out for something to eat with a battle f wine, I asked at the reception about the hotel dining and was told that they now have an Indian restaurant, 'great I thought' I don't need to leave the hotel. Big, big mistake, the food was appalling, really appalling, the wine list was so basic that I had to choose the house wine (against my better judgment) bad, bad,bad, after my meal I proceeded to the Compton bar for a nightcap with an Esspresso, when I tried to add both the meal and drinks from the bar onto my hotel room, I was told that it had not been set up, I knew I had set it up as I had to have my credit card swiped, but the receptionist forgot to stamp my room card.

I now decided to go back to my room and retire in hopefully comfort, no surprises as the room was still freezing which spoilt my stay after travelling over 230 miles I needed a nice warm room.

My way mr Brit, after over 40 years of staying here on and off, I will not be returning, I will b seeking another hotel with better reviews.

By the way, I'm in room 260 whilst I wright this review but I won't expect anyone to acknowledge my comments before or after I leave.

By from Peter j

Room Tip: Don't pay until you've checked out he room for warmth and comfort
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank peterjackson49
Burnley, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 16, 2012 via mobile

I stayed there in October it was very good. check in was easy and when I left my key in my room they were very nice and didn't even bill me for another one as I returned them both.
Hotel seemed secure with security at the staircase at the lobby as you enter the hotel or they are outside at the door with a list checking you're actually from the hotel which I thought was good.
the staff were very well spoken.

me and my girlfriend loved it!

• Stayed October 2012