“Im only rating this hotel as '1' as there is no '0' option!!”

Britannia Manchester Hotel
Ranked #94 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed October 14, 2012

I highly suggest anyone staying here reads the reviews forst and looks at the pictures uploaded by guests!! After eventually checking in (slow and unprofessional doesnt come close) our 'no smoking' room stank of stale smoke. The bedside drawers had tablets in and rubbish from previous guests. We had no window but thought it would be ok as there is aircon, later to find out the extremely noisy system is broken, throighout the whole hotel! We were woken by guests above at around 4am, finally got back to sleep and were then woken by night security knocking on our room door to ask if it was us who had complained about the noise!! When leaving the hotel we complained, and asked the staff if they took heed to the reviews for the hotel, to be told "the management dont care about the reviews as the hotel is always full"! It took a while to log the complaint as none of the staff (throughout our stay might i add) spoke English as a first language. I would definately not stay in this hotel again if i was paid. This review is 100% genuine and i hope people take note before booking!!

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank MasonLucas
There are newer reviews for Britannia Manchester Hotel

Reviewed October 14, 2012

Myself and a group of friends stayed for one night (thank god) the foyer was beautiful apart from that the rest of the hotel is a dump...out dated...dirty...expensive for what u get...noisy...we picked a no smoking room which had no window it was small..dirty and dated..we found tablets in are room loose..rubbish obviously the room had not been cleaned...we haf to call security at 3.30am because the noise was so bad and to top it off the room was red hot..on turning on the air con and it sounding like we was about to take off in the morning we was informed there is nooo air con in rhe whole of the hotel but was told not to inform the manager a member of staff had informed us of this..the staff only stated they deal with around 10 to 15 complaints every morning at least, and the managment dont care because of the location they know ppl will still stay at the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank vonnie1979
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Booked and paid for this hotel in February as going to a wedding and concert in Manchester on same weekend in June. Five days before we were due to arrive got a telephone call asking were we aware that the room had no windows. We hadn't been aware of this. Were offered an alternative hotel eight miles away. As both the wedding and concert were in Manchester and we had no transport as we were flying from Northern Ireland we had no choice but to stay in the hotel. As Bruce Springsteen was playing in Manchester that weekend all the hotels had been booked up for some considerable time. The person who phoned us was both rude and argumentative. We pointed out that a room without windows is a fire hazard. If there was a fire in the hallway you would have absolutely no way of getting out. At least if there is windows the fire department can get access to rooms from outside. The fire escapes in the corridors were just iron steps disappearing up into the roof. On arrival in Manchester the City was on amber alert because of torrential rain. The hotel room was unbelievable, it had never seen daylight or fresh air. The first night it was so cold we asked could the heating be put on in our room. We were told when we would return from the concert we could ask for a heater which we did do. A member of staff arrived some time later to our room with a fan. After many jestures we got through to this person who hardly spoke English that it was a heater we required. Breakfast was poor. We had one evening meal in the hotel in the basement restaurant. My daughter ordered burger and chips. When she took the top of the bun to put ketchup on the burder the meat was still partly raw. We hated the hotel it was dull, dowdy and I would certainly not recommend it to anyone. The only good thing about this hotel is the location but there are plenty of other hotels in this area. Would I recommend to anyone? NOT IN A MILLION YEARS!!

Room Tip: I don't think here is such a thing as a good room in this hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank magsderry
Reviewed October 13, 2012 via mobile

We were placed here along with approx 60 other people by Thomas cook on the afternoon of thur 27th sept after a delay of 24hrs to our 5* holiday in the Dominican . On arrival we were rudely told we would have to wait as rooms were not available at that time! We had now been awake for 16hrs . We were not even offered a complimentary drink of tea or coffee . 1 hr later we were given 2 rooms for my husband & myself & my daughter and her partner. My daughter was on the 5th floor and no lifts were working and no one even offered to assist with cases which as u can imagine for a 2 week holiday were heavy. The stair were lethal and sloppy and elderly. Couples could be seen trying to struggle up many of the other delayed passengers were carrying elderly passengers cases up the stairs for them. We were then told we could only eat at a particular time slot , we were treated like second class citizens throughout. Later the lifts were fixed , I received a phone call from a friend who happened to have rang my daughter to tell me the fire brigade were em route as she & her bf had been trapped in the lift for 20 mins totally shocking and scary . All they got was a cheap bottle of cider passed off as champagne . It turns out another elderly person had fallen down the stairs the day before and was badly hurt . The staff have no manners and customer service skills the most pleasant people were the firemen who assisted . Cannot believe people pay to stay in this hovel and when I saw the prices I nearly choked! . The food was terrible and Luke warm. This place needs to be closed down due to all aspects espeshially health & safety . If ya thinking about staying there is book into a local hostel you would get better service by far!!!!

• Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank tanyaliepins31
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Firstly we have stayed at this hotel (and others in the chain) on many occasions and have always found them to be good value for money. So I booked here with some confidence for a surprise trip to Manchester for my husbands birthday. My husband had been very ill and was awaiting an operation so Manchester was not too far away to return if he was called in at short notice.

I emailed Jason Williams, the man who is replying to all the reviews on here, no less than 3 times to find out what facilities were available for wifi as this was the means that the hospital would be letting us know. None of my emails were replied to which was disappointing especially as I had explained why.

We went to the hotel early that day as we had arranged to have lunch with family. I went to reception to say where I had parked and confirmed I was in the right place for a discounted rate at that hotel. This turned out not to be the case. When we returned to check in I was told that I was in the wrong car park, unfortunately as the driver I was make to move the car as I had a drink over lunch.

After a heated conversation in the bar area with I have to say a very good Duty Manager it was agreed that she would refund our parking charge of over £30 in the car park we were in. She also arranged for us to have breakfast - which was pretty bad as there were no bacon, sausage or eggs on the Buffet so we gave up and went across the road on both days. She came to our room that night to get our address.

Our TV remote didnt work which was reported at around 8pm. eventually they replaced the tv - which was fine but it was done at 1.30 in the morning!!!!

The room was very hot and very musty. There was some very suspicious looking stains on the floor and we had paid for an executive room (not jn the least executive)

The lift didn't work but sometimes that happens though the staff seemed to take priority over the use of the maintenance lift and were quite put out that we dared to use it even though we were on the top floor. At one point we had to wait until around 100 chairs were brought up and down in the lift and were told in no uncertain terms we could not jump in even though we were late to go out!!!!!

A member of staff actually told us that the hotel was not going to get any better so not to bother booking again!!!

Needless to stay I am still waiting for the cheque that the duty manager promised us for the parking which was supposed to be with us within 3 weeks. We stayed in July it's now October. Don't bother writing to Jason Williams he just ignores you as does the head office.

The whole Britannia Group has been a disappointment this time around and we will not be staying here again nor will we recommend it to anyone. We used to stay at a Britannia every time before we flew out of the uk - not any more!!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank scallywag09
Reviewed October 9, 2012

OMG what a dump. Paying 150 pounds a night I was expecting a reasonable hotel, unfortunately I was very disappointed. My room was on the 3rd floor, and I could hear and feel the music from the night club in the basement thumping up through the floor until 3am on Saturday night (Sunday morn) The place either needs a compete renovation or a bulldozer through it! - If I never stay here again it will be too soon.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Greg E
Reviewed October 9, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 3 days and we hated every second spent in the hotel. Upon arrival I noticed the staircase was dirty, and couches at the reception were stained and actually broken. We stayed in a saver room. We were told beforehand these rooms had no windows but assumed the room would have some form of ventilation or air conditioning, which wasn't there. The room was boiling and made it very difficult to sleep in.The shower in the room was broken, switching from freezing to scalding every 5 seconds. The staff were very unfriendly and it seemed to feel like talking to customers was a chore. The majority of the staff were foreign and spoke broken english, this is a problem when like me, you have a glaswegien accent which noone understands to begin with. We stayed on the fifth floor and the elevator was broken for most of the stay. The maid also failed to show up twice. There is also no parking meaning we had to pay around £40 for three days parking. I would recommend you all to visit Manchester,it is an amazing city, but DO NOT STAY HERE!!

Room Tip: We may have had a better experience had we forked out for an executive room, which were roomier and...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple