“wedding reception”

Britannia Manchester Hotel
Ranked #95 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed September 28, 2011

Had my daughters Wedding reception at this hotel last Saturday. Fantastic value for money, food served quickly and lovely and hot. evening buffett outstanding. Would recomend to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank jackie4n

Reviewed September 27, 2011

I stayed here one Saturday night, only £55 for dinner, bed & breakfast. Dinner was a "carvery", actually just a help-yourself buffet. Basic but not too bad. The single room was on the 6th floor - the lifts only go to the 5th and this was up a staircase. Small attic room, tiny window but clean and the shower was fine. Overall, you get what you pay for. Cheap but just about ok.

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed September 27, 2011

I booked a double executive room for two nights at the weekend cost £160 bed and breakfast including free cancellation if necessary. I arrived on the dot (pretty much) of 2pm for check-in, and was given a stunning luxurious Victorian-style room on the 3rd floor at the quiet rear of the hotel with a four poster bed. I hadn't expected this at all! My room was large and split level, with a raised area at the back which contained two armchairs, the TV and a huge Victorian desk. One of the most beautiful hotel rooms I have ever stayed in, and it felt very decadent having it all to myself!

The bathroom was also large, containing WC, bidet and a fantastic (if noisy) spa bath with a very powerful shower. Gold taps. I slept like a log both nights as the bed was so comfortable, and no noise much at all. The view out of my huge window was disappointing perhaps, as it looked straight into the office built behind the hotel, and on Friday I could see all the office workers at their computers. On Saturday and Sunday of course, no one was there.

The hotel itself is an impressive vast Victorian structure on the busy Portland Road. The reception area is beautiful with a wonderful chandelier, and the wrought iron staircase goes right through to the top of the building and is very beautiful indeed. It was a pleasure to walk down the stairs, in fact, to the lobby and then to breakfast in the basement area.

Breakfast itself, I have to admit, was less than perfect. The buffet area is quite small for so vast a hotel and everyone was cramped up selecting their food, with nowhere to put your tray except on the precarious edge of the food counter. The food was acceptable - English breakfast with tinned tomatoes and, regrettably, stale croissants.

On my night out I ate at an excellent restaurant over a bridge on "gay" canal street, about 5 mins from the hotel. Its a beautiful area in the evening, with lights in the trees looking a bit like Christmas! and very lively and interesting people to look at! On my second night, feeling lazy, I ate in the pizza joint in the hotel basement, which cost considerably more and I found my pizza pretty inedible - stodgy in the extreme and greasy tasting. The garlic bread and desert were better.

If I went again, I would probably leave breakfast and always eat out, as there are plenty of places a stones throw from the hotel which offer better and cheaper food.

Nowhere was very far from the hotel. The gay village is just behind the hotel with all its lively bars, clubs, restaurants and cafes. The terrific Manchester Art Gallery is about 5-10 mins walk, and about the same to Piccadilly Gardens. Market Street which has all the main shops, including the vast Arndale shopping precinct, is about 15 mins away.

I would certainly stay at the Britannia again, for its beautiful building and my stunning room, and excellent location in the city centre.

Room Tip: Check in early (2pm) to ensure you get the best room. Rooms at the rear of the hotel are quiet.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank LondRobert
Reviewed September 27, 2011

Stayed here for 1 nite only but I don't think I will stay again. Bathrooms are old and dirty with a running flush all the time. Room was ok with view of the road outside and nothing great. I wouldn't recommend this hotel for more than an overnight stay (only if it's the only option).

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank gary25
Reviewed September 26, 2011

Such a beautiful building inside and out and great location too. Can't understand why the Corinthia group or Kempinski haven't taken it over and given it a make over. The doors of the hotel are wide open all the time which makes the reception area cold. You have to go round the staircase to get to the check in. The room smelt of stale cigarettes and air freshener. The pillow cases were tired and a bit ripped. The windows were dirty. The floor creaked. The bathroom was a bit tired and the shower was luke warm. Whatever was going on until 1-2am kept me awake - sounded like a nightclub or wedding reception. Wouldn't stay here again under the present management. £75 is cheap for the location. A tip is not to pay for breakfast because you can get a full English for £2.75 if you turn right out of the hotel a few doors down.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank lucysmith31
Reviewed September 26, 2011

Hi
We stayed at this hotel on Fri 23 Sept 2011.

One night, double executive room, was supposed to be £150, but we didn't pay this & booked it much cheaper under an offer we had.

We weren't expecting the Ritz, especially at the price we paid, but it was a horrible pokey little room up in the attic! I called reception to ask what the difference between a doule room & a double executive room was & the receptionist advised me that we had a window in our room & that was the difference!!

The view, well, what view!! All we could see were stone turrets through the window slats! We had no view whatsoever, but there was no air conditioning so we were glad of a little fresh air!

There was no hot water in the shower or the bath, just mildy warm. I called reception & they said it would be hot soon, but it never came hot & we had to have cold baths otherwise we would have never got out!

The kettle was tiny! It was big enough for one cup, when it boiled water went all over the work top, even though I only filled it to just below the max level.

The television, actually worked, to our surprise, but yes there is a but!! The volume kept going off & the only way to get it back on was to tap the top of the tv. By the time you sat back down it went off again!
I was up & down like a brides nightie for ages & gave it up as a bad job!

Otherthan that we had a fab stay (lol) we enjoyed the night in Manchester, but won't bother with the Britannia again (whatever the price) - much preferred the Ramada where we stayed in August.

Feel free to ask any qyestions, thanks ;-)
Jil

Room Tip: Go to another hotel.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank BurnleyJil
Reviewed September 25, 2011

One of the oldest hotels in the middle of Manchester town centre,
1.yet the service, and the professionalism of the staff was not apparent, I tryed to ask for direction to the main reception room as a staff was walking pass me, she did not stop to shown me I was face with the back of (a) staff body language and a pointed finger where the room was, "not shown the room properly.
2.The main door to the reception room: was informed by the staff that they needed to be open, yet we had small children attending the reception which on this occassion a little person got out of the reception room and was find near the main road. The Buffet which was made by the Hotel the bread had mould on it, which was unacceptable. Health & safety what a joke!!!

Room Tip: Rooms where ok
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple