“Brittania Sachas more like "Faulty Towers"”

Britannia Sachas Hotel
Ranked #99 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed October 30, 2013

We booked a week-end break in Manchester Oct 25th -28th and chose to stay in the Brittania Sachas having stayed there twice before and found it to be nice. On this occasion the hotel was terrible and we will NEVER be returning. We booked a superior room on a low floor as my husband has walking difficulties and I have a fear of lifts, on check in the only room available was on the fourth floor and no way was it superior,we were told we could move to another room the next day but nobody ever contacted us about it, the room was dark looking out onto a building site which had plastic sheeting on the scaffolding, and due to the bad weather we had all weekend the plastic sheeting dripped & rattled,all the time, there was workmen banging & hammering on sunday morning at 9 o clock, the carpet in the room had stains,some of the walls had holes in them, there was damp patches too, we waited 6 Hours for 2 pillows, & 2 bath towles which were left outside the door, the bathroom was tiny, the shower rail kept falling down when you showered, the restaurant downstairs left alot to be desired, ie, when the hot food ran out at breakfast time we had to chase after the staff to refill the trays, there was very little choice, the tea was revolting it came out of a flask that appeared to be stewing for hours, and the card key for our room did not work after 9 am every morning, which meant another trip down 75 steps for me to get it unblocked. This hotel seems to be used by alot of airline crew from Manchester Airport, and maybe it is them that are getting the better rooms ,but we work hard for our money and when you book & pay for something you expect to get it, we had a great week-end in Manchester and will be returning but we will never darken the doors of the Brittania Sachas again.

3  Thank Eugene B
Write a ReviewReviews (2,280)

Reviewed October 30, 2013

We chose this hotel due to it's proximity to the MEN arena where we were going to a gig. We were greeted by a very pleasant chap who gave us all the information we needed. We were directed to the lifts which is when things started to go downhill. The lifts stunk as did the corridors when we came out of the lift.

On first sight, the room looked ok, if a little tired until we started investigating, having read other reviews on here. The air conditioning unit was broken, my husband touched it and it came away from the wall. The vent had what looked like burn marks around it. It seemed that someone had tried to fix it but failed miserably.

The bathroom wasn't much better, it had a dated beige suite which had clearly seen better days, the waste pipe on the toilet dripped every time you flushed it. There was a lovely spa bath, but the bath was so grotty, there was no chance we would have wanted to sit in it!

The bed was two single beds pushed together, this would have been fine if the beds were level but unfortunately my side of the bed was 2 inches lower than my husband's side. The pillows were so thin, my husband referred to it as like sleeping on an after eight (and not the proper ones, the imitations). The mattress was lumpy too.

Breakfast the next morning was average, god knows how long the scrambled egg had been sat there. There was no bread to make toast so my husband had to ask for more to be brought out. Perhaps, if the staff weren't chatting by the door, they may have noticed!

Check out went smoothly and the lady on reception was pleasant and friendly.

Not somewhere I would choose to stay again.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Emily M
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Where to start?! The (executive!) room was absolutely filthy to the point that we could not put clothes in the wardrobe. Also the whole of the floor we stayed on stank of smoke. The bath was filthy and there was something suspicious in the sink plug hole! No water in the shower and the bed was made up of two single divans pushed together with only 2 very thin pillows. Possibly the worst hotel we have ever stayed in and we have stayed in a few. Was not told or informed that we were paying for 'bed only' at check in. Breakfast (which was shocking) was £5 if paid for the night before or £10.99 on the day! Very very dated hotel which is in need of a total refurb or even closed down!! Please do not go and waste your money! Wish I had read TripAdvisor reviews of this shambles of a hotel before I booked - certainly learnt our lesson!

Room Tip: Don't bother!
3  Thank Maggie S
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Compared with a year ago, this was a better experience. The room was larger and quiet and the lifts and other facilities generally worked . Breakfast was served by a friendly waiter and is very good value. The whole hotel needs a major refurb, but for the fantastic location in central Manchester it's still a cheap option.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on a side street, like Tib Street.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank susanlucas1950
Reviewed October 25, 2013

Before reading this please understand that I contacted the Hotel Manager with the below information by email and he did not even take the opportunity to respond to me directly.
To add insult to injury the anonymous person in the customer service department offer me to stay again at a discounted rate - why would I stay there again and give them more of my cash after this.
I asked to escalate this to senior management and they are refusing to pass on details. this was 3 days ago so I think I gave them ample time to make good on these issues but no one seems to care. so make you own judgement......

I stayed at the Britannia Sachas Hotel Manchester on Friday the 18th October 13 for 2 nights.

I have to say I was quite shocked and appalled by the extremely poor levels of customer service I experienced.

Upon arrival we queued at reception for a while which is to be expected on a busy Friday afternoon for some time but this was quite substantial.

With 3 receptionists on the front desk 2 with clients and another at a work station by herself. I could not understand why this person was simply not helping guests to shorten the delay but she was not even attempting to make eye contact. god bless the poor chap who dared to ask her for a new key as his was not working, as he was met with a stern face full of daggers and if looks could kill he would be six feet under. She eventually gave him another key (as she huffed and puffed doing it) and did not even apologise for the inconvenience caused to him!!! I then thought she would see the queue and call up the next customer alas not, she just carried on with whatever was more important than paying customers waiting.

We finally arrived at our receptionist (tall girl, skinny dark hair) and were not even greeted nor did she apologise for the wait. She took my name then proceeded to walk back and forth a few times not explaining where she was going or what she was doing she then shouted from further down the reception desk "it's paid for right?" - well surely she should know she's looking at my booking!!! she then asked me to sign and gave us some keys. nothing else!! and by nothing else I mean we had no idea where the room was, how to get to lift, where/when breakfast was, wifi, no info about hotel.... not even a sentence to wish us a pleasant stay. I then asked the breakfast times and later found out she gave me the wrong ones. not a great start and to be honest we would have done better going to a self check in kiosk.

We made it to the room and I have to say the lift area is in a great need of cleaning which I later discovered was even worst than I originally thought when I went to reception bare foot - brrrrrr not a nice experience at all

The room seemed fine, a little dated but we didn't mind about the décor, the problem was as attached.

The only window was on the ceiling which didn't bother us so much even though on rainy days it get extremely noisy but a few drinks and that's easily forgotten. The problem was the cleanliness of the window ceil all black an mouldy. I tried to pull the blind across but when I noticed I needed to do this by pulling on loose screw I quickly stopped myself. I cannot understand who thought that was a safe idea to use on a pull cord.

the bathroom ceiling was shocking and I cannot believe that a housekeeper is allowed to pass this room to reception in that state. I have attached a picture for you and I can assure you these mark can be cleaned as I tried myself. the bathroom extract does not work so it gets too steamy to remain in the bathroom you then have to change in the bedroom which is fine if you are with your partner but not with a friend. the shower hose is broken so no water pressure as it all runs down the side of it. which again a housekeeper would notice when she/he rinse the bath - then I start to wonder did they actually clean the bath?
hairs on the floor.... I went home on the Sunday and felt the need to shower again.

We ventured to breakfast on the Saturday morning and waited as no one was in the breakfast room. We eventually sat ourselves anywhere. Later on a older lady arrived with her trolley and again as per reception standards instead of welcoming or greeting us she simply said "room number?"

The state of the breakfast was beyond belief, the food was dried out especially the bacon which was stuck together, the equality of the sausages was poor and they were either overcooked or they had sat on the buffet for quite a long time. No jams only a few yoghurts and no whole fruit only the tinned stuff - not great if you want a healthy breakfast.
The attitude of the staff was shocking. the lady with the trolley asked the chaps next to us to leave so she could clean the table even though breakfast was not even finished and there were plenty of empty tables. A couple came just before 1030 and bless them as they helped themselves to food she turned the buffet lights off and the staff queued behind them waiting for them to move so they could remove the buffet. Shocking behaviour. We were going to have another cup of tea but thought better to escape and go to Costa instead.

When we returned we could not get into our room, (this seemed to happen to pretty much everyone when we walked past reception. Luckily a staff member was helping a guest outside our room so she helped us to get in. I was a bit concerned that she did not even attempt to check that we were actually meant/allowed in the room and she just opened in it with her key and then said "this is why you can't get in there is already someone inside this room" so we told her that it was our stuff and she did not query this - so I start to wonder how safe are my belongings if anyone can just stand in front of a door and get access. She explained that we should have recharged our card before coming up and that reception should have told us this. So I explained all of the above and ask if she was the manager but she said no and that she would pass on my comments, I expected so kind of follow up but nothing. poor customer service again!

During the evening I then went down to reception for some chocolate and the machine failed twice, luckily a chap opened it up for me. it was the second time I went to reception and had to interrupt staff chatting away and not paying attention to people waiting. I couldn't tell you if they were working to socialising as they were not speaking English which to me is quite rude. Fair enough if they are speaking to customers but to each other in front of others no so great.

Sunday morning breakfast was even worst. 2 staff member were at the entrance, one said good morning (hoora first time in the entire stay) but we were quickly disappointed when she did not even bother to stand from her chair, direct us to breakfast table or let us know what was were. Sunday must be special we had jams woohoo. the breakfast buffet was just as dry as the day before and my attempt at the porridge was quickly terminated. they must have ran out of saucers as my cup was on a side plate which is not helpful when a cup full of hot water goes sliding everywhere. The staff were more interested in chatting around the corner with a receptionist than actually doing any work

We packed up and came to reception to be faced with another queue, I wanted to speak to someone but when the miserable receptionist who was not doing anything when we checked in 2 days prior barked at me to leave my key in the plastic box to check out I gave up on any hope of finding anyone with any kind of customer service skills.

I hope that you will understand these frustration, I have to be honest if I have stayed in a Travelodge at £40 a night I wouldn't be too surprised but when you pay £170 for 2 days the above is simply unacceptable. It is such a great shame that the hotel has so much potential albeit a little tired if only your staff did not let you down so much this could be a great gem in the city centre right now it had proved to be a complete disaster in my experience.

Room Tip: Do not stay there
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank LauraPPP
Reviewed October 19, 2013

So trying to give a fair and unbiased review...
I stayed at this hotel because I turned up to Manchester late on and my reservation had been done incorrectly for my hotel so I needed somewhere to stay and fast. This was the only place with availability. I have to say it's not terrible but it paid for an executive room and at £99 I would have expected much more. Had it been £40 I would have accepted it gratefully.

The staff at reception were pleasant and organised upon arrival and payment was processed very quickly. NB I paid before I saw the room. The worst thing about this hotel was the stench. It has a truly horrible smell
in the corridors of cigarette smoke mixed with curry. Now, I like a good curry but I also know what a strong smell it has and how difficult it is to remove and this combined smell (unbelievably strong and hard to put into words) left me feeling sick. The room itself was big and spacious, I was on the fourth floor and had a window. But there was nothing executive about this. Attention to detail is lacking. It's very hard to control the temperature of the room as the heating system just beat out very hot air even on the lowest setting and I was advised just to turn it off but then the air con which consisted of a hole in the ceiling just blew freezing cold air into the room and could not be turned off. The TV was good, large and modern. The bed was very hard and uncomfortable but sheets clean etc. The positioning of the plug sockets was impractical as none by bed for phone charger etc.
The furniture and decor was tired and dated and there were dirty marks on the walls and ceilings that could have been cleaned or painted very easily, this does not give a good impression or sense of pride in the standards of the hotel. The room also has no main light so is quite dark in the evening.

The bathroom had a large bath and shower but had some fluff/dirt all over the ceiling and lashings of mouldy sealant all around the side
which looked terrible.

Breakfast was nice, warm selection of cooked breakfast items, more cereal choice needed as only had weetabix and the tea tasted of coffee which makes me think they don't clean the urns and I wouldn't be surprised. It was included in my room but I would not have paid £10.95 for it.

Overall, I'd say the room and hotel was basic probably a 2* I've got no idea what the actual basic rooms would be like if mine was classed as an Executive room. I think if it was very cheap as apparently there are some good rates on this hotel, it would have been fine but for £99 this was appalling really. I really can't describe the stench but it was horrible. I think if you were staying here after going out in Manchester it would be fine but for leisure or business then I'd stay somewhere else. Really poor value for money.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank lucy6892
Reviewed October 18, 2013

well where do i start, the staff at the desk was miserable, the room we had was awful, the carpet was taped up everywhere, the lampshade was falling of, the TV was an old 80s thing that had a poor picture, the remote wasn't the right one for it, i could go on and on and on, i don't think this place is going to be open for long unless they have a re vamp, one good thing and the only good thing was it was close to the shops

2  Thank alwena1970